Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special strike buffalo nickels

I got this particular buffalo nickel from an unsearched roll, which included 11 V nickels, from an estate sale. I noticed right away how it's shine strongly resembles a 1984 s proof nickel I have, though it held no mint mark. It couldn't really be cleaned I thought due to the wraps age. So I'm left wondering. I came across this while trying to research it. I think I see the dot on the nose but have no clue as to the other signs meaning. Any idess?

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

polished

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dv8Tor said:
    I got this particular buffalo nickel from an unsearched roll, which included 11 V nickels, from an estate sale. I noticed right away how it's shine strongly resembles a 1984 s proof nickel I have, though it held no mint mark. It couldn't really be cleaned I thought due to the wraps age. So I'm left wondering. I came across this while trying to research it. I think I see the dot on the nose but have no clue as to the other signs meaning. Any idess?

Your photos are tough for me to interpret.
    You should reference the plate photos here:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1927-5c-special-strike/3987

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

Please do not use screen shots, they are too pixilated to see any detail.
    Can’t make out anything from supplied photos.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the photomicrographs of your polished, common Buffalo were taken in 2021. What account(s) had you here previously?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a heavily circulated, common, polished and clashed Buff.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are just jealous, I think you found one. Bet you get some private messages to buy it for cheap after they bad mouth it. Oldest trick in the book

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

The "spot on the nose" was an identifying factor of that particular coin, not a diagnostic for the special strike. Yours is just a heavily circulated polished nickel.

• Options

No, they didn't agree. So it does hold value?

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

Who didn't agree with what? Yes, it does hold value, just not much, less than 50 cents.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polished, cull Buffalo Nickel. Just what do you actually want to know? It is not clear from your posts.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you waiting for? Send this in for grading ASAP. You won't regret it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

I’m not aiming this just at you, but posts like that serve no good purpose.
    If you think the poster is a troll and knows better, he won’t submit the coin for grading, anyway.
    And if, by chance, the poster isn’t a troll and doesn’t know better, you’re giving terrible advice, which could be followed.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@privatecoin said:

If you think the poster is a troll and knows better, he won’t submit the coin for grading, anyway.
    And if, by chance, the poster isn’t a troll and doesn’t know better, you’re giving terrible advice, which could be followed.

Sarcasm, I can't help it some times after years of working in corrections and public safety. So I appoligize if this bothered you.

Some people need to learn the hard way. If they come here seeking advice of the best, only to not respect that advice, then send them on their way to learn the hard way.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

do you see any difference between your coin and this one?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@MFeld said:

@privatecoin said:

Sarcasm, I can't help it some times after years of working in corrections and public safety. So I appoligize if this bothered you.

Some people need to learn the hard way. If they come here seeking advice of the best, only to not respect that advice, then send them on their way to learn the hard way.

Except this poster hasn't really argued with anyone in this thread.

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@privatecoin said:

It will be a cheap learning experience for him. He will save money down the road for having learned it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file