Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Story of an Anax submission

Around 2008 I was able to buy several 2 1/2 dollar gold Indian coins from an estate collector on the East Coast. Living on the West Coast I had many conversations with him and ended up buying about 10 of them. At the same time annex was having a gold special something like $10 a coin so I submitted all of them. The best one came back as not genuine, the rest came back graded au 50 through MS 62. I was disappointed in the grades because I thought they looked better, but then I’m not an expert so I decided to sell the two best coins, ms61 and ms62. After looking at the rest of the coins for about a year, I became suspicious and cracked out the remaining coins and sent them to PCGS. Every one graded many grades higher. The AU 50 was a AU 58. The AU 58 was MS 62. Although I was delighted with these higher grades, which rarely happens, it made me wonder what the MS 61 and MS 62 would have graded by PCGS. Years later, I remember reading about some tough grading at anax.
I learned my lesson the hard way, just stick with PCGS and don’t look back

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 10:56AM

ANACS?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BifBif Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

ANACS yes sorry for thy typo’s

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anacs soap bar, blue, or yellow holder?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Tough crowd.

It's the dance that predates TPGs.

Seller/owner: How could they only call this luster bomb a 66!!!

Buyer: Look at the marks on the obverse. How could anyone call this a 66?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions are just that opinions. Value them as you please.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

So wadja do with the Not Genuine coin?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 4:23PM

@Pnies20 said:
    oh leave the guy alone ......

YES LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE, GOT SOME REAL LOSERS ON THIS SITE

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally mistakes get made. If they're bad enough the legal fine print can write it off as a "clerical" or "mechanical" error. I'm curious if there are many recently certified NGC or PCGS coins that cac gives a gold sticker to. It's more the old holders where the expectation tends to reinforce their judgment.

• Options
    coinguy96coinguy96 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

Interesting story! That's a tough lesson to learn.

I hate to be that guy but I've been using ANACS on and off for about a year and I can confidently say they have no idea what they're doing. Atleast with the coins from the era I'm submitting.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinguy96 said:

I hate to be that guy but I've been using ANACS on and off for about a year and I can confidently say they have no idea what they're doing. Atleast with the coins from the era I'm submitting.

So why would you continue to use them on and off for about a year?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I like Anacs for tokens and Medals, but coins i prefer in PCGS or NGC.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bif said:
    ANACS yes sorry for thy typo’s

Some pictures of the coins you hung onto would help to give some context to your original post.

Mark

• Options
    coinguy96coinguy96 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@coinguy96 said:

There's coins that aren't worth selling raw but aren't worth sending to PCGS/NGC at $23 a piece. I'll send them to ANACS for $14. Sometimes they'll grade the coins correct (according to my history with NGC and PCGS) and sometimes every coin will be 2 grades under what they would get at NGC/PCGS.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bif said:
    Around 2008 I was able to buy several 2 1/2 dollar gold Indian coins from an estate collector on the East Coast. Living on the West Coast I had many conversations with him and ended up buying about 10 of them. At the same time annex was having a gold special something like $10 a coin so I submitted all of them. The best one came back as not genuine, the rest came back graded au 50 through MS 62. I was disappointed in the grades because I thought they looked better, but then I’m not an expert so I decided to sell the two best coins, ms61 and ms62. After looking at the rest of the coins for about a year, I became suspicious and cracked out the remaining coins and sent them to PCGS. Every one graded many grades higher. The AU 50 was a AU 58. The AU 58 was MS 62. Although I was delighted with these higher grades, which rarely happens, it made me wonder what the MS 61 and MS 62 would have graded by PCGS. Years later, I remember reading about some tough grading at anax.

So the higher number is always the right number?

For only $15 per coin, I will slab everything 66 or higher. PM me for payment instructions.

If the OP had nearly 9 of 10 come back consistently higher with a different TPG, I'd say he has a legitimate question. Some pictures might help bolster his case though...

Mark

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinguy96 said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@coinguy96 said:

There's coins that aren't worth selling raw but aren't worth sending to PCGS/NGC at $23 a piece. I'll send them to ANACS for $14. Sometimes they'll grade the coins correct (according to my history with NGC and PCGS) and sometimes every coin will be 2 grades under what they would get at NGC/PCGS.

I get what you're saying, and I also send a lot of lower value coins to ANACS that wouldn't make sense to send to our hosts or ATS. However, if your experience is that ANACS is more conservative who's wrong then ANACS or NGC/PCGS? Isn't gradeflation one of the reasons behind CAC and now CACG?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

I could conceivably start a tiny grading service tomorrow and either grade myself or higher high schoolers to grade and what would result from my efforts what match pretty darn closely some of the results that I have seen certain tpgs produce. Without knowledgeable seasoned stable graders a grading company would be exactly like my so-called grading company. A grading co is as good as its last graded product. Oh what is the use.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2023 12:07AM

I wonder if the op is gonna come back?
    Happy holidays!

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incuse Indians are some of the toughest to grade, so I wouldn't hold it against them. PCGS is great for most. ANACS is good for cheaper stuff and minor varieties.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll withhold judgement until we get some good pics. The Indian quarter eagle series is a tough series to grade since there is no raised rim that tends to protect the fields of these coins. I've seen enough Indian quarter eagles graded MS61/62 by PCGS with slight wear on the Indian's cheek bone so I can understand why ANACS might grade these coins AU.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bif said:

So the higher number is always the right number?

For only $15 per coin, I will slab everything 66 or higher. PM me for payment instructions.

If the OP had nearly 9 of 10 come back consistently higher with a different TPG, I'd say he has a legitimate question. Some pictures might help bolster his case though...

Mark

Yes, but reverse the order. 9 out of 10 came back lower, still a legitimate question. But who is right? Maybe in that time window P was over-grading and A was spot on.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Puneet's Law: When all else fails, lower your standards and now everyone is out-performing.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking I ought to submit to ANACS first. Then, send them to PCGS for crossover. Then cross my fingers in hopes JA will see them one day and say; " oooh, that could use a sticker".

I enjoyed your writing. We ought to annex the lot of 'em.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2023 1:21AM

Just saying...
    Like most think, PCGS/NGC, are the two top dogs!
    ANACS, isn't all that bad. Esp for the money.
    In my collection, the only ANACS holders I have are from the old soap boxes. From time to time, I will buy a newer ANACS coin.
    However, only by keeping that Golden Rule.
    "Buy the Coin, NOT the holder!"
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2023 4:37AM

A dealer I know has sent back several groups of Morgan dollars that he swears have undergraded by a point or two in the last few years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file