Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1922 “Weak D” 64RD

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone makes mistakes, so no need to start bashing. But there’s another lesson here. Ultimately, the buyer paid a big premium for a 22-D cent because the mintmark was just a little weak. If it weren’t for the price guides and registry sets, would anyone ever consider paying a premium for that little bit of weakness? Shouldn’t the coin bring a discount, not a premium? The lesson is to always consider what you think a coin should be worth, not just what the market tells you it’s worth.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That's not that weak a "D". I have a few of those myself, but much lower grade. Some people have a lot of money to burn.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2023 9:35AM

@CaptHenway said:
    This is a middle die state of a known and recognized (in a much later die state) 1922-D variety, but it is not that rare in this die state.

Yes, of course.

It’s worth explaining that the late state version is worth a big premium because an imperceptible mintmark makes the coin look like it was struck at a mint that didn’t strike cents in 22, which is cool. A clearly visible but weak mintmark lacks that coolness factor, so should logically be valued differently. Doesn’t really matter what we call any of them.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

when did PCGS stop designating No D weak reverse and start calling all weak reverses Weak D even if not visible?

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an awful looking coin. I'd hate to tell anyone that I paid $7200 for it.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    That's an awful looking coin. I'd hate to tell anyone that I paid $7200 for it.

+1. And I would certainly like to think that those spots grew on there after the encapsulation and the bean.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks a bit more like circulation damage than a "weak" D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching the auction and I thought exactly the same thing as the OP.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are people seeing in the coin to justify a $7200.00 price?

I don't get it .

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 11:37AM
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

And no, I do not understand any of these prices.

TD

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, on the bright side of it, the seller’s gotta be happy.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file