Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Purchase: 1955 Proof Set, comments?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2, 2023 10:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Yeah, I had just bought this.
Love the eye appeal. Esp the Dime! Clean Franklin and Washington too.
Bummer, slight scratch on the Cent.
What do you guys think?
I will probably replace the Cent. Along with the Capitol Holder too.
Thanks 😊

All varieties had been checked. The Jefferson appears to have the ddr.
Thanks ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

‘55 is a favorite of mine. Decent looking set. I think I have one in OGP still.
    Don’t know about the DDR, but that’s cool if you got it.
    Am I interpreting the pics right to say there’s some nice contrast on the half but not enough for a cameo?

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2023 12:07AM

The expert on these is @SanctionII , whose collection mainly consists of him scouring through hundreds of raw proof sets of this era, and then using his keen eye to determine which coins to submit for grading. His success rate in gleaning value is tremendous!

Nice pickup @JoeyCoins . As you note, the cent has the scratch, but the others look great to me.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The set looks pretty dang spectacular and I'd imagine the scratch on the cent is less visible in-hand. Also, and before anyone jumps on them, the patches that look like hairlines or wipe marks on the half dollar (primarily across the Liberty Bell) and quarter (primarily across Washington's neck) are die polish lines and the grades would not be dinged for them.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins, but I’m really impressed with the photography!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cent is easy to replace. Overall looks like a pretty nice set.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice looking set with the exception of the scratch on the cent. I'm not sure I would replace the cent as it would entail opening the Capital plastics holder and risking damage to the other coins in the set. Just enjoy it as it is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set - check the nickel closely. There are a couple different DDR varieties... one minor, one collectible.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice set!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive proof set joeykoins.

Capital holders display these older proof sets very well.

I have a set of blue Capital holders with gold embossed lettering that states "1950 Proof Set" through "1964 Proof Set" on them. When filled with high quality examples of these proof coins they make a very attractive display of coins.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures! Fine example, except for the scratch on the cent, as other have noticed. I don't see the DDR - it might be some minor variety.

Vplite99
  • Options

1955 is a good year for coins.
    I wonder how many here were born in 1955 and before and how many were born after 1955.
    My guess is it is about 40%/ 60%.

Rebirth. Renewal. Transformation.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The set looks pretty dang spectacular and I'd imagine the scratch on the cent is less visible in-hand. Also, and before anyone jumps on them, the patches that look like hairlines or wipe marks on the half dollar (primarily across the Liberty Bell) and quarter (primarily across Washington's neck) are die polish lines and the grades would not be dinged for them.

Thanks for mentioning, Tom. I wondered about that on the neck on the quarter.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I was conceived in mid 1955 and born in early 1956. I like both years.

Here are two toned 1955 proof halves.

Welcome to the club. I was conceived in late ‘55 and born in August of ‘56.

Guess i need a ‘55 and ‘56 proof set, hopefully as nice as Joey’s!

Tim

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those pieces look fresh. The dime has picked up a bit of good toning.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

Thank you ALL!
    Just to let you know. I did remove all the coins out of the holder temporarily. To take the photos.
    The holder has many scratches. So, I'll probably replace it with a brand new one.
    Here's another truth. When I removed the coins, I dipped the Franklin, Washington and Jefferson!
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2023 4:08PM

very nice set

does the quarter have a wipe across the side of neck or is that die polish from mint?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice proof set of vintage US coins - Now you're talkin' :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@davewesen said:
    very nice set

does the quarter have a wipe across the side of neck or is that die polish from mint?

Yes, I see what you are talking about! They appear to be "Polished Flow lines!"
    There are some in his hair, as well. Thanks 😊
    I'll take some close-up shots later.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set Joey! I like it. I didn’t know about the varieties of the 5 cent and thank you for that.
    I too have a 55 Proof set in a cool Capital holder as it is indeed MY birth year.
    Nice stuff!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like the dime toning. What's going on with the marks on Jefferson's collar and below to rim?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2023 9:41PM

Today, I found the replacement for the "Scratched Cent!"
    OLD

NEW

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was filling a diaper for a year in 1955.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@SanctionII said:
    I was conceived in mid 1955 and born in early 1956. I like both years.

Welcome to the club. I was conceived in late ‘55 and born in August of ‘56.
    Guess i need a ‘55 and ‘56 proof set, hopefully as nice as Joey’s!
    Tim

Mommy & daddy got together the summer of 55, I came along in May 56. Guess I gotta work on my proof sets.

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice set. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file