Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Service Offered by USPS: "Pre-Cracking" of Third World Slabs

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an added feature to USPS Ground Advantage, for $1 extra you can have the USPS "pre-crack" your third-world slabs such as PCI (allow 4 weeks for additional handling time):

In the USPS's defense, the sender should not have attempted to send the coin in a plain white envelope :D . I give them credit for eventually getting it delivered to me B)

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

They paid the package rate but put it in a regular #10 envelope.
    🙄

• Options

@coinbuf said:
    Ouch, but can you really blame the PO when the packaging is that poor.

Agreed. Per my note following the photo, I give them credit for eventually getting it to me.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poorly packaged and inviting trouble.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Poorly packaged and inviting trouble.

Yeah, I think the seller was not experienced in shipping coins.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you knew the machinery that envelope had to go through, you'd be amazed it arrived at all.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Do you really want that address out there? Not everyone is honest these days......

A PO box?

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it appears the coin wasn't damaged.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/4 inch seems to be the standard with usps first class or less. They knew you were a collector and wanted to help you out by cracking it to further customer loyalty.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2023 7:36AM

Never had any problems. Use padded mailers with sticker “handle with care.” Contents wrapped in bubble wrap. For submissions to our hosts use boxes.

Looks like a big screwup on the part of the shipper. Obviously somebody inexperienced in shipping coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

with that envelope, the sorting machines could crack any slab

• Options

When I ran the cancelling machine,the average amount of coins spit out on the floor was $50 on a shift, usually quarters.

Most was from lazy people taping money on the front of the envelope instead of buying a stamp. But there for a while musical birthday cards got fat with batteries and also had the innards blown out of them on the belt.

Clerks have a template they use at the counter to judge what can be accepted for machinability. But if you drop in a box or after hours depository you have to judge for yourself.

There also used to be a special handling surcharge if you asked for it to stay out of the machines, but things have changed so much since I was there, don’t know if that still exists. Local post offices no longer do any postmarking or cancelling, it’s all done at regional processing hubs.

Sorry your slab got cancelled!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently received a coin in a flip in a #10 envelope. No extra packing. Postage was a single stamp, except it wasn't even a stamp. It was just a sticker shaped like a stamp with a Christmas tree on it. I think when I returned it I used my standard "please ship more securely" comment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file