Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show Your Junk Coins

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2023 5:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

:* Got any Junk Silver?
Who labeled our old silver "junk" anyway? Apparently Junk Silver has no numismatic value, just worn out silver coins...but if it's a worn out gold coin, it's considered "scrap" gold? I'm not a fan of the term "junk".

Show us your Junk Silver!!!

Comments

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve sold off most of my junk silver. Only my raw & cull silver dollars remain.

The silver was taking up a lot of space and giving me no joy, honestly. I’d rather have one $5000 coin that enhances my collection and brings me happiness than $5000 worth of uninspiring precious metal.

Quality over quantity, one of the great lessons of collecting…

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

@MWallace said:
    You might want to change the title from "Show Your Junk" to "Show Your Junk Coins". Otherwise this thread could get racy. :D
    ...........and just to make it clear, I don't want to see any of yours' junk.

Done!! I was trying to use the same "phrasing" technique demonstrated by @Cranium_Basher73
    And love it @Goldbully posted some true "Junk" :D:D

Seriously though, where did that term come from? Someone gifts you an old worn coin, you look at it and say, " Looks like junk to me!"

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are Junk Coins and there are "Junk" Coins:

China 1934 Sun Yat-Sen silver "boat" dollar
    Silver, 39 mm, 26.75 gm

In June and July 1949 the three United States mints (Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco) struck 30,000,000 copies of the 1934 Sun Yat-Sen silver dollar.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2023 12:03PM

I didn’t have this junk coin any more. I sold it for more than a K. I just want to show some of the junk coin can still worth some money.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the silver junk scrap melt concept. For me, this silver is today's gold. I view today's clad coins as junk!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Mr_Spud That's a great collection of silver!!!!

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a junk key (1879-CC residing on my key chain).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

@nwcoast That's a lot of junk silver! & fancy magnifying glass!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I’ve had this cigar box for over 50 years, one of a number of places I have junk silver stashed.

Nice assortment. I notice the (Jaguar) 70 on the inner box lid. Needs a MS in front of the 70.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@MaineJim said:
    This might describe most of my collection which is mostly from circulation/CRH finds but I have fun. Here is some mostly junk silver from a lucky CRH day.

Jim

Wait, what? From a lucky CRH day? You found all this in one day, or many? Looks like you're having a blast!!!!!

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

All from one lucky bank visit. I asked if they had any halves, the teller said some in the vault which I said I would take. I think it was about $275 in Walkers, Bens and a couple rolls of Kennedy's. They were happy to get them out of the vault...I was happy to take them. Each stack is a solid date.

Jim

• Options

@MaineJim said:
    All from one lucky bank visit. I asked if they had any halves, the teller said some in the vault which I said I would take. I think it was about $275 in Walkers, Bens and a couple rolls of Kennedy's. They were happy to get them out of the vault...I was happy to take them. Each stack is a solid date.

Jim

Wow!!!! What great timing!!!

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum Friends,
    How/where to you find/collect your junk silver?

• Coin show bargain bins
    • Coinstar
    • Coin shops / dealer
    • CRH
    • eBay / online
    • Change
    • Other
  • Options

@Joe_360 said:
    Forum Friends,

• Coin show bargain bins
    • Coinstar
    • Coin shops / dealer
    • CRH
    • eBay / online
    • Change
    • Other

Trick question. ALL OF THE ABOVE. You never know where you'll find junk silver, just have to keep your radar up and keep looking. (Even a bank visit like @Mainejim did!)

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Forum Friends,

• Coin show bargain bins
    • Coinstar
    • Coin shops / dealer
    • CRH
    • eBay / online
    • Change
    • Other

I just accumulated it, maybe if I have an extra buck at a coin show I’ll get some.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nwcoast said:

You maybe the King?!?

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I got this cent in change today. I am thinking about starting a junk coin collection.

• Options

That looks like it's a Moon Cent. It's got enough craters.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my collection seems to be junk. :D

Just some bits and pieces that I’ve accumulated..

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2023 5:11AM

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file