Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update CRAZY Green CAC Rattler Outperforms Gold-Stickered CAC Rattlers At GC, How high Will They Go!

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2023 12:04AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nicely toned trio of Mercury Dimes Gold CAC Rattlers at GC this week. How high are your guesses on these coins, especially my favorite of the 3 the 1942D?

Comments

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on price but nice coins!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s interesting toning. Very unusual look.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    Nicely toned trio of Mercury Dimes Gold CAC Rattlers at GC this week. How high are your guesses on these coins, especially my favorite of the 3 the 1942D?

What do you guess our guesses will be?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will all do well, maybe even better with this extra attention.

I’ve been casually looking for a 1935 Mercury with nice color and did bid on this one but don’t expect to be the winning bidder given the gold CAC plus rattler premium (I’d prefer nicer color to either of those two attributes).

• Options

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

What do you guess our guesses will be?

Your guess is as good as mine lol

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toning seems off

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

If these were white blazers, I'd think $500 to $600 each would be in the ballpark. But these are toned and while not incredible toning that could move the prices up by quite a lot.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

3x price guide, or the price for the coin 2 grades higher, whatever that may be.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    3x price guide, or the price for the coin 2 grades higher, whatever that may be.

I guess they will each go not for 3X's price guide but 10X's price guide.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2023 10:55PM

I think they’ll sell for a lot more than I’d be willing to pay.., ;)

People go nuts over toning and old slabs. :o

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 11:54PM

Does anyone think the 1942D MS 66 Gold has a shot for MS 68 today? My guess is this coin will go for $1500 or more. Whoever the collector of these coins is they had great taste and preserved the rattlers it appears in excellent condition

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:
    Does anyone think the 1942D MS 66 Gold has a shot for MS 68 today? My guess is this coin will go for $1500 or more. Whoever the collector of these coins is they had great taste and preserved the rattlers it appears in excellent condition

I think there’s no way to tell from those images and that your thread title should read “Gold-Stickered CAC Rattlers”, not “Gold Toned CAC Rattlers”.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury rattlers with Gold CAC are probably the most common series from what I have seen. They are still really nice!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭

What is the possibility of something like this being CACd and then gassed afterwords to add toning?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:
    What is the possibility of something like this being CACd and then gassed afterwords to add toning?

The coins don’t look remotely closed to “gassed”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rattlers, toned coins and a Gold CAC sticker seems to be the perfect recipe for high bids. My thinking is that the odds of an upgrade to MS68 on any of the coins is as likely as the new owner, depending on the sale price, being buried. The coins look like they spent a long time in some type of album or possibly an envelope. An old collector I knew would call this lingerie tone. :p

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Vasanti said:

That’s good. It’s probably being overly cautious and my lack of experience, but I’ve gotten to the point where I treat all attractive toning as potentially suspect.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sky is the limit. Wow coins in my opinion regardless of holder.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. Sky’s the limit they should bid them up high.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2023 6:21AM

@Vasanti said: I’ve gotten to the point where I treat all attractive toning as potentially suspect.

That is probably a good position to take, especially if you're new to the Hobby or new to collecting toned coins. Generally speaking, older encapsulations such as these rattlers lends some confidence to what's inside, but some searching in the archives with key-words MOC will show that some of these have indeed been "gassed" by collectors/dealers.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:

@MFeld said:

@Vasanti said:

That’s good. It’s probably being overly cautious and my lack of experience, but I’ve gotten to the point where I treat all attractive toning as potentially suspect.

I actually wondered the same as Vasanti when I saw these. Very unusual look. The toning only on the very surface, strange progressions, and that pastel brick red/orange color cropping up. They look almost like they belong together, despite having very different serial numbers.

If only CAC took pictures for an internal archive or something...

• Options

@scubafuel said:

@Vasanti said:

@MFeld said:

@Vasanti said:

I actually wondered the same as Vasanti when I saw these. Very unusual look. The toning only on the very surface, strange progressions, and that pastel brick red/orange color cropping up. They look almost like they belong together, despite having very different serial numbers.

If only CAC took pictures for an internal archive or something...

There does seem to be a strange similarity in all three coins. Maybe coincidence as they were all stored maybe in the same album?

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 4:31PM

$350 each

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Rattlers, toned coins and a Gold CAC sticker seems to be the perfect recipe for high bids. My thinking is that the odds of an upgrade to MS68 on any of the coins is as likely as the new owner, depending on the sale price, being buried. The coins look like they spent a long time in some type of album or possibly an envelope. An old collector I knew would call this lingerie tone. :p

I was primarily thinking of the 1942D 66 for the MS 68 as the CAC gold sticker should mean 67 solid at a minimum but probably more likely close or at 67+. So 68 isn’t a far stretch but it would be a gamble for a knowledgeable numismatist to crack it out and send it back to PCGS for a regrade. Not for the faint of heart

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:

You think this one got gassed before it went to cac?

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1440412/1942-D-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-PCGS-MS-63-OGH-1st-Gen-Toned

• Options
    edited October 1, 2023 5:28PM

Surprised to see this Green CAC rattler bring $1250, which is more than most of the Gold CAC rattlers bought. Bidding war by 2 people. Coin nice but not spectacular and only a 65. I think they will be buried in this one. Crazy inmo

• Options

• Options

So, what did these coins sell for??

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2023 7:47AM

1944-D 10c above - Wow guess anything possible!

That buyer paid $1404 w buyers fee. Liked obv toning but not rev. All it takes is 2 bidders who badly want it……

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

That's a different coin, not one listed by the OP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file