Home U.S. Coin Forum

San Jose coin show: quiet but fun

I enjoyed myself at the San Jose coin show. I didn't find any matte proof Lincolns to look at. I did find several PR 65 Walkers. Have prices on these really gone up? They averaged over $800. One with light cameo had a $1,150 price tag!

I also didn't find an AU common date large cent in a PCGS holder. I was hoping to find a bargain, dark chocolate large cent. I guess, in general, people don't slab them unless they are UNC.

Whenever I go to a show I am amazed at how many Morgan dollars are for sale. Slabbed, raw, toned, white, there were lots.

I also am reminded at how many raw coins there are in the world. Tons. Millions. I did look for some Jeffersons and found a beautiful rainbow '38 with a durn distracting black spot on Jeff's lapel. There were lots of people looking at and buying raw coins.

There seemed to be decent traffic yesterday. People had time to chat with me and I enjoyed several nice conversations. I also went Friday and that seemed slower.

I bought a 1974 Philippine proof set.

My daughter did the treasure hunt. She always comes home with more coins than I do!!! A dealer in ancient coins spent some time talking to her and she bought a corroded Byzantine coin for $0.50. She was so pleased to have a coin much older than any in my collection.

Comments

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry we missed each other, but you didn't have your hat on. I enjoyed the show and found plenty of dealers friendly and wanting to show their coins to me. I noticed the usual blast white Morgans and walkers everywhere. Not a whole lot of toned coins, and also noticed a bunch of toned Morgans in ICG slabs. My hunch is maybe to try and get a bump in grade.

Met Cameron Kiefer, who stood out to me (he is very tall) and he seems like a nice guy. Talked with Strat, I've met him before.
    As far as nice original Barbers, forget about it. One guy had some decent half dimes but they are pretty small, but it was nice that he showed me almost all the coins in his case. The only dealer that had a lot of toned coins was more than willing to open his case and let me have at it. But he mainly had the usual toned Morgans and nothing jumped out at me.

I did find a beautiful walker that imo set itself far apart from others.
    It has many colors and is original. Now talk about price? I believe now even the original walkers are commanding strong prices. Not as bad as toned Morgans. It seems these days if you find a nice original coin that is graded right be prepared to step up if you want it.

Because that's how they price them now, how bad do you want it.
    Now don't get me wrong I'm known to "step up" for a coin I love, but it is getting wild.

Attention dealers, we will remember you when the table turns.image

I will post the walker I got as soon as I can.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Hello Carl,

I was not at the show since I live in Florida. I read that you found the Proof walkers were very expensive. This is a mystery to me too. I bought mine in the summer of 2000 all on ebay. Here is what I paid:
    1942 PF66 PCGS $280
    1941 PF66 NGC $290
    1940 PF66 NGC $340
    1939 PF66 NGC $397

All look great with some light toning. I thought they were expensive when I bought them. Now they look cheap. I had to quit buying them because of price. I wish I knew why they went up so fast.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Just a little side note about all the morgans being seen at the shows. Those things just about
    bankrupt the country when they were being minted. image Always seems to be something.
    Now it is oil and chinese imports.image
    USASA
    1966-1971

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file