Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Survey for circulating coin design change 2026

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 12, 2023 7:18AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not that a survey will get them circulating.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/semiq/?cm_mmc=ExactTarget--Campaign--20230912SemiQEmail1-_-SurveyCTA&utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_content=SurveyCTA&utm_campaign=20230912SemiQEmail1&cm_mmca1=Marketing

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

The survey links sent out are probably tagged with a code in the URL so they can only be completed once, so posting here won't give access.

That said, I did the survey, and many of the questions were like, "Here is an assortment of design themes, one of which is a good idea, some of which are OK, and one of which is horrible. How interested are you in them?"

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Why so many pessimistic comments?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Casabrown said:
    Why so many pessimistic comments?

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Steve,

You point is very accurate in my thinking taking the survey. I was quite unhappy taking the survey with the direction they seem to want to go. At the end when you could put in your comments I put in, not as well as you summed up, we are celebrating 250 year anniversary of events of 1776, not how things have changed since then. I also said the 200th anniversary put options out as circ coins for everyone with small things for collectors and this pattern should be followed.

Not to be political, but a change in who is in the White House could change the direction of this program, hopefully for the better. Otherwise I will get a chance to save money.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    AlbumAccumulatorAlbumAccumulator Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited September 19, 2023 2:31PM

One side of the coin will have Ventris Gibson receiving a quarter from her uncle and the other will have her brother receiving a half dollar.

• Options

The government hasn't cared what collectors want since at least 1979.

• Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

With respect, I appreciate the comments reflected above. Please allow me to offer a different perspective.

Not voting, while an option, just allows others to render perspectives that may be contrary to yours and not have the benefit of your view.

As far as the US Mint, the stakeholders who are most responsible is Congress as their legislation drives the themes for circulating and commemorative coins and medals. Assuming approval by the President, the US Mint must develop designs congruent with the approved legislation. These candidate designs are then reviewed by two groups of knowledgeable professionals, the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA) and the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC). The latter group contains 11 individuals, one of which is a recognized numismatist while many of the others also are coin collectors. In the interest of transparency, I have the honor of serving as the Chair of the CCAC. I must say that in that position and despite many posts on this message board, I have not received the level of suggestions from the public or the numismatic community similar to the pessimism often reflected on these message boards. This year is different as more than thirty different suggestions have been received and the CCAC plans to vote on these at its October public meeting to determine which should be forwarded to the Treasury Secretary. If you are in Washington DC, you can participate in person. If not, you can hear the deliberations of the discussion. Bottomline, this is one option, but the most powerful one is through your elected Congressional representatives in the House and the Senate if you truly want drive themes for circulating and commemorative coins and medals.

Back to the US Mint survey, which by the way was required by federal law. Why would we not expect a wide spectrum of opinions in the responses given the diversity of US population, particularly in how such a pivotal event should be reflected in the themes of what the Semiquincentennial means?

I am not focusing on political parties, but rather on the view that the differences among us is what makes us stronger, especially if we are willing to at least hear the voices and views of others. Admittedly, there will be some who would argue that we focus narrowly only on the Constitution. At the same time, there are others who may wish to focus on its impact and meaning over the 250 years.

While I am not an author of the questions in the survey, as a professional who has participated in developing and administering surveys to diverse populations, this survey, in my humble opinion offers the opportunity for a wide spectrum of choices and allows you to write in additional thoughts should you choose to add them.

In closing, please accept my apologies for a lengthy response. Again, I respect the views articulated above. As a collector over many decades, while I may not agree with every theme authorized by Congress and approved by the President or every design candidate recommended by the CFA and CCAC, I am pleased that I am asked to provide my views when requested. And this request is seeking our opinion in how we celebrate this momentous occasion on the smallest of canvasses. For the reasons above and many more, I recommend that everyone take advantage of this opportunity to share your views. The more voices the better. I hope you do so, if you have not already done so. Also, I hope you will join the CCAC at its two-day public meeting next month.

Casabrown

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for providing informed insights. While my concerns are not alleviated, it’s reassuring to know they were read and at some level will hopefully be considered.

Thank you.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Ok, so I completed the survey. Based on the questions, it seems as if there's already a trajectory that's been decided on, which is "interpreting the meaning" rather than commemorating historical events. I doubt any input that deviates from that trajectory will matter.

An interesting note is that most of the questions referenced "Our Democracy". Anyone who started from that flawed understanding shouldn't be involved in creating surveys about our nation's founding.

I vote for a Palpatine half dollar.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Casabrown,

Appreciate your knowledge and input. The survey seemed to be not and open survey, but they have there ideas and want those ideas confirmed. They are not looking at the end 250 years ago and celebrating that event. How exactly does LGBTQ+ get into a 250 year anniversary of the USA without seriously twisting things.

My comments on the survey EXACTLY!

I recommended the Flowing hair cent, Shield nickel, seated dime, bust quarter and barber half.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 6:59AM

Let's LEARN from the past. What designs/themes were actually used on U.S. coinage to celebrate our Bicentennial 50 years ago in 1976????????????

Apparently, the people in charge now of that survey have a different mentality and/or different "instructions" from higher up than the people who were the decisionmakers 50 years ago!!!!!!!!! Were those people stupid?????

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems you can take the survey multiple times. Blast them on a different topic in the comments each time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file