Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bust H10c likely grade?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 18, 2023 12:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This dealer did not want to submit this coin for grading, how would you grade it?

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 12:43PM

It’s a 5c! Half Dime.

I don’t use numerical grading on raw coins.

With the black spot rev he probably trying get above MS60 Money (around $600). Was he asking more? Could he have cracked it out try get more? I find it unusual that coin is raw so makes me suspicious. Details / Cleaned? Pass.

Appears what many Would call it -Commercial Unc : They would probably put UNC on 2x2 holder if selling it raw. Bin / Make Offer. Me > Certainly would send in to our hosts however. Would want their opinion.

It seems lustrous (or is it a little subdued) - however w/o seeing it in hand under 100 watt light w magnifier just my best wager.

He did not want submit for grading? Well there’s your reason to pass. Is he calling it CH or Gem Unc lol? What was his price?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

UNC details is my guess. It looks unnaturally clean, with what could be old toning from the previous cleaning stuck around the devices, though I could be wrong.

Could me MS61-2?

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is not my series at all so I apologize in advance, but it’s screaming cleaned to me for some reason.

Dull, muted, dipped luster

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not a bust dime. Its a half dime and its likely been cracked out. There's a reason the dealer doesn't want to send it in for grading.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to be objective and ignore what was said about the coin, it looks MS63 to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 12:44PM

To OP - You don’t think he’s there setup paying a bourse fee to give you some freebie do you? Run from that deal.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible light burnishing on the obverse. Details coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

62/63

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m with the 62 Straight grade crowd

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the 63 camp , straight grade!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call.

I own one that’s similar, but with toning acquired from many years in the Dansco. May submit it someday; perhaps like your dealer, I’m not in a hurry to sink more money into it, to potentially get a Details grade.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be the outlier here. My first impression was AU55.

• Options

I agree with @Batman23 in that my first impression was also in the AU55-58 range. Tough to tell from photos but I felt there was some slight rub on the high points. Of course maybe some of you who are calling it MS62 are "Market Grading" it to a higher $ amount.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 7:41PM

I could see that coin grading AU58 or MS63 by a TPG company, and I would grade it choice BU.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    I could see that coin grading AU58 or MS63 by a TPG company, and I would grade it choice BU.

Agreed

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the caveat of not having my reading glasses handy and not being able to assess luster in hand I'll hazard to say that this LM7/V5 would 62 at PCGS and 63 at NGC. I'd like to say it's been dipped in something at some point but I do think it's still market acceptable.

• Options

It sold on ebay for around $500: https://tinyurl.com/483d9c9d

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    It sold on ebay for around $500: https://tinyurl.com/483d9c9d

Makes sense. Raw+less than stellar photos+eBay=low hammer prices from folks not willing to pony up when taking a big risk.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details, dipped unprofessionally.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭

61/62. Luster is too muted for 63, IMHO.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

Or they could have done as some sellers do pricing it high and juice images, rave about the coin as "Frosty Gem PQ+++!!! But that type of sales gimmick doesn't seem to work as well as it once did.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with @cladiator - PCGS would probably give it a 62. And although LM-7 is only an R2 marriage, the highest graded (attributed!) LM-7s at PCGS are two in 63 (I have one of those two in my set). If this were already in an attributed PCGS holder with a 62 straight grade, and I needed the marriage (which I don't), I'd buy it for $600ish. I would not buy it raw - because they've been tough on grades lately and are liable to surprise the submitter with a details - finding "cleaning" marks in the obverse left field for example.

I like the look of it, and the dirt on it doesn't look like it was rubbed into the devices (as a cleaned coin will), but rather it looks "sincere," like the Great Pumpkin likes. :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:
    UNC details is my guess. It looks unnaturally clean, with what could be old toning from the previous cleaning stuck around the devices, though I could be wrong.

Could me MS61-2?

That's from being a dark, original coin that was dipped to remove the toning. The areas that remain black now simply won't come off without dipping it so long that it gets stripped, that's into the metal. If you do remove it, you'll get chalky white spots underneath that stick out like a sore thumb. It's best left alone.

I'd call it a MS62.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a no brainer MS coin.

I could only guess the exact grade.........possibly a 62 or 63.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Could me MS61-2?

That's from being a dark, original coin that was dipped to remove the toning. The areas that remain black now simply won't come off without dipping it so long that it gets stripped, that's into the metal. If you do remove it, you'll get chalky white spots underneath that stick out like a sore thumb. It's best left alone.

I'd call it a MS62.

I've seen MS70 do for a coin what EZest does but by removing silver from the coin; how do you decide to use one and not the other?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 8:27AM

@logger7 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Could me MS61-2?

I'd call it a MS62.

I've seen MS70 do for a coin what EZest does but by removing silver from the coin; how do you decide to use one and not the other?

You just learn with lots of experimentation what works and what doesn't work, with certain issues. I'll use 6-8 different solutions depending on the coin and what is going on with it. Sometimes 3 or 4 on one coin.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

"Conserv" that came out a few years ago which smells like turpentine, is the least reactive I've used. If the coin has original dirt you just want to leave it alone.

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Could me MS61-2?

I'd call it a MS62.

Makes sense. So it was cleaned.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalifornianKing said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Could me MS61-2?

I'd call it a MS62.

Sure, like countless coins in straight grade holders. But the cleaning doesn’t appear to rise to the level of “improper cleaning” and a details grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@CalifornianKing said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CalifornianKing said:

Could me MS61-2?

I'd call it a MS62.

Sure, like countless coins in straight grade holders. But the cleaning doesn’t appear to rise to the level of “improper cleaning” and a details grade.

I'd agree. Honestly I don't mind a cleaning if it doesn't impact the coin at all surface or luster wise. I do prefer those shiny white-ish coins, but with some nice toning (instead of super dark coins).

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

It looks acceptable enough as a lower MS. I'm not crazy about it, though.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options

Here is a Bust H10c I had some years ago, dipped it and it graded MS62 at NGC:

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 or 62

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin will grade 55/58 and it most likely not CAC'd. If you are acquiring the coin because its a scarce die marriage and you have been looking for quite some time, Ok - i do understand buying that coin if priced properly. On the other hand, if its not a scarce die marriage and you are acquiring it as a type coin, then I would suggest passing on the coin and getting a nicely toned Capped Bust Half dime for your set. The price differential is not very great between a raw coin vs a nicely toned TPG CBHD so its worth spending a few extra bucks and getting the "right" coin. Over time, you will be glad that you acquired nicely toned coins. If CAC'd than all the better. Just my 2 cents.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno. I’d guess AU details but wouldn’t be astonished to see it in an MS62 holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file