Options

PCGS Submission Extreme Delay Unexplained -- Update 9/18

2»

Comments

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@robec said:
    I have a 4 coin submission that is still in the Received mode after 4 weeks. It wasn’t that long ago when it went to Grading after 1-2 days.

FYI it’s no better ATS. They have estimated turnaround times that are supposed to be from date delivered and it’s been routinely taking the published turnaround time to even get your package opened.

That has not been my experience. I dropped off 31 coins for ATS at the August Pittsburg ANA show. I received an email about a week later letting me know that the coins were at their Florida offices. They were graded and I had them back in my hands in less than 4 weeks. So, that would be slightly less than 20 business days.

I don't know if that is typical, but that is about what I have been getting for the past 2 years.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2023 10:14AM

Depends on the coins, I had 2 submissions received on 9/6. One 8 coin sub was ASEs and Morgan/Peace 2023, on that one I got a shipping notification yesterday (9/15). The other sub was 16 foreign moderns and it is still in received. I had this happen in the past too where collector coins take months Modem silver bullion processes instantly. Also nearly all of my ASE and Morgan/peace had marks that should have made them less than 70 but all 8 coins came back with a 70 grade. I have almost no confidence in a pcgs 70 anymore as more often than not these days they all have defects.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each type of service has their own queues. That's why they tell you to mark the shipping box. If you don't mark it, I would not be surprised to see it treated as economy until it's opened.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern ASE or Morgans are graded by the least experienced graders, If you click on Careers on our hosts site you will see they are hiring for " Apprentice US Coin Grader". Starting pay is 65K. You are stuck in the bulk modern assembly line giving each coin a 15 second glance and deciding 69 or 70. If you give too many 70's the big boss will write you up. I imagine after an 8 hour shift your eyes are fried and your back aches. After 2 years of this, if you tough it out and can still see, you may get to grade real coins instead of bullion. No offense to bullion collectors.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

@robec said:
    I have a 4 coin submission that is still in the Received mode after 4 weeks. It wasn’t that long ago when it went to Grading after 1-2 days.

FYI it’s no better ATS. They have estimated turnaround times that are supposed to be from date delivered and it’s been routinely taking the published turnaround time to even get your package opened.

That has not been my experience. I dropped off 31 coins for ATS at the August Pittsburg ANA show. I received an email about a week later letting me know that the coins were at their Florida offices. They were graded and I had them back in my hands in less than 4 weeks. So, that would be slightly less than 20 business days.

I don't know if that is typical, but that is about what I have been getting for the past 2 years.

Before this submission I had never had any issues with time. When I submitted, the ETT was 20 business days. This submission, it took 23 business days to open my package. I am guessing you got in before the latest flood of submissions.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that the week after a show with show submissions there can be quite a delay. Both of my shipments in the last few weeks were processed within 2 days.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I suspect that the week after a show with show submissions there can be quite a delay. Both of my shipments in the last few weeks were processed within 2 days.

Totally agreed. I dropped off orders for express grading at both the ANA and Long Beach and both were not even booked into the system as Received until the following Wednesday.

However, upon returning home from the ANA I had one more coin to submit for the exact same service which was delivered to PCGS on the Monday after the ANA. That order was booked as received on Tuesday (a day earlier than the order I dropped off in person) and was completed in two weeks vs the drop off order which was completed in 4 weeks.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    you may get to grade real coins instead of bullion. No offense to bullion collectors.

How could any bullion collector take offense to that? 😂

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 5:20PM

----UPDATE----

@PCGS_Cheyne
    As I thought this was on its way to a happy resolution, unfortunately this has degraded further.
    As I posted earlier, the coins were returned (Shipped Aug 28) not long after I reported above. However since then I have been conversing with CS about a problem with the order... which was that they did NOT restore the coins. I didn't realize it worked this way, but PCGS charges a $10 evaluation fee and then whether they restore the coins or not, they send them to grading and charge the full fee. PCGS claims that these Morgan and Peace dollars could (or should?) not be restored(!!!). I have pressed for an answer as to why and I am told that they cannot provide this information.

I admit, I had always thought that if they could not be restored they would charge the $10 eval fee and return them. I'm not sure who would want coins that couldn't be restored to be re-graded, Seems silly to me but I accept that is what the policy is. The thing is.... **I don't believe these coins can't be restored. **

These coins were received by PCGS on Mar 9.
    On or about April 22, I got excited because I entered the old cert number into PCGS verification and saw some Trueviews were available and I made this post: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090672/pcgs-restoration-3-peace-dollars-results#latest
    You might notice my more recent post at the end of the thread on Apr 28 where I realized that the TVs were probably pre-restoration and now that the coins are in hand, I can confirm that they are.
    The submission also included the following 2 Morgan restorations:

So here are the odd things:
    1. The TVs were available on or before Apr 22. Why did PCGS hold on to them until Aug 28 (4 months longer)? Presumably they are photographed after grading so it took 4 months to put them in a capsule and do QA? Something is fishy.
    2. I did have an issue with another order submitted around the same time as mentioned in the other thread where they took TV's prior to restoration and I had to return the coins to get post-restoration photographs. I assumed a similar mistake was made here but evidently not.
    3. I can understand if one or two coins has a problem that can't be helped with restoration, but all five coins, really? That seems statistically improbably when none of them have any special, non-common condition issues. I have had many Morgans restored by PCGS and never had them rejected like this. This is run-of-the-mill toning and surface conditions that respond very well to the restoration process in my experience.
    4. Did they simply skip the restoration since I started complaining on here and they just wanted to get the coins back in my hands? Hard to say.
    5. PCGS will not tell you that when they do not perform restoration service. This is unacceptable. I have sent other coins in in the past and have thought all along that the restoration wasn't able to fix the problem I sent the coin in for (usually a spot). Would LOVE to know and I think it's essential information to know if the restoration failed or if they never attempted it to begin with. I think we are owed this information. But I digress.

Does anyone see any reason why PCGS would refuse to restore any of these 5 coins?

Edited to add:
    I don't think PCGS is being completely honest here and it's a lot of money $250+ to have several coins regraded and not restored (when I expected no grade change to begin with) when all of my other Morgan restorations have been problem free but for some reason this entire batch is unrestorable and takes 5 months to process.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell just from a photo.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:
    I recently submitted 3 orders that were sent in the same box. Two were logged in as "Received" on July 28 (a Friday). One was logged in on July 31 (a Monday). The order types were Modern Value, Regular (crossovers), and Regular (raw grading). No variety attributions or any other additional services.

The Modern Value coins are done and I received them today.
    The July 31 crossover order moved to "Grading" about 3 weeks ago.
    The July 28 raw grading order is still showing as only Received. :s

I shouldn't feel bad about my August 11 order that is still in received.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

33 days since 8-23-2023 and my voucher submission is still in "Received" :s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file