Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Collection Discovered in Garage Tops $987,000 at Heritage Auctions

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

interesting lots. surprised at the high values for the rolls. seems like they priced out the top market with little upside?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling @FlyingAl

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't surprise me that stuff like this is still around.

There's a whole lot of unknowns just waiting to be discovered.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not surprised at all by the success of this auction. People crave this type of material. Fresh, new to market items are always selling points. Just look at the Fairmont results. It was a huge success in the gold coin market. People are paying high prices in areas of the market. Maybe this will help bring out other things that are hidden away.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Calling @FlyingAl

I did see this - glad to see there are still items like this out there in quantity.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heritage Auctions as usual brings top dollar on collections such as this that require a lot of work and savvy analysis. Some people seeing this will think their collection which may have some original mint mailed packaging could be worth a lot and can be unreasonable. And many of the buyers will be buried in their purchases when they go to resell when the hype is gone.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, as I hadn’t seen it before.
    They must’ve been well healed to be buying quantities of sets like that back then.

Looks like more Top Pops could be coming in the 1950’s Proof coinage.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

im sure there were a lot of smiling faces everywhere :)

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Heritage Auctions as usual brings top dollar on collections such as this that require a lot of work and savvy analysis. Some people seeing this will think their collection which may have some original mint mailed packaging could be worth a lot and can be unreasonable. And many of the buyers will be buried in their purchases when they go to resell when the hype is gone.

So despite the windfall to the consignor and the excitement of collectors adding cool coins to their collections, the glass really is half empty?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

The person that bought and owned those most likely passed and didn’t get to enjoyed the profit, it’s the heirs that sold it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 1:47PM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    They must’ve been well healed to be buying quantities of sets like that back then.

I wouldn't bet on it. These are no more likely to yield quality coins than the thousands already opened. In fact, based on storage, they are probably less likely to be nice.

Even if they are just as nice, 25 sets in a market of 10s of thousands of sets is statistically unlikely to provide anything at the top end.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2023 1:59PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I wouldn't bet on it. These are no more likely to yield quality coins than the thousands already opened. In fact, based on storage, they are probably less likely to be nice.

Even if they are just as nice, 25 sets in a market of 10s of thousands of sets is statistically unlikely to provide anything at the top end.

That could be. The earlier Proof sets in the boxes may not have held up well to the moisture and temperature fluctuations from garage storage.

Regarding statistics, 100 1955 Proof sets is not insignificant, and I said COULD be coming. Unsearched original sets could have some that are exceptionally nice, vs- the picked over dreck long since moved to Capital holders. I’m thinking the numerous bidders felt the same way.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the prices realized, there was a LOT of speculation about the quality of the coins in boxes and rolls. Enough that we'll probably never get to see what is inside.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love stories like this. Reminds me of my uncle who kept his collection in a safe in the garage his whole life until his passing.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

Storage in a garage would scare the bejeezus out of me. Don't get me wrong the story is cool and the sale fun. But to expect coins in cardboard and cellophane and paper for 70+ years with a car going in and out, plus temperature fluctuations, humidity changes, I can't imagine the coins would hold up well.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would enjoy opening the OGP sealed Double Mint Sets and the 1950-1956 Proof Sets stored in the garage. One never knows what would be found. Sort of like playing the lottery. Chances of wining the big prize is remote, but someone does win big.

I have bought and opened multiple sealed OGP sets over the years and most of the time have been very disappointed in the results.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@CaptHenway said:
    Calling @FlyingAl

I did see this - glad to see there are still items like this out there in quantity.

I thought you might want to secure pictures of the unopened boxes for future reference.
    TD> @PonyExpress8 said:

Storage in a garage would scare the bejeezus out of me. Don't get me wrong the story is cool and the sale fun. But to expect coins in cardboard and cellophane and paper for 70+ years with a car going in and out, plus temperature fluctuations, humidity changes, I can't imagine the coins would hold up well.

This

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file