Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Something NEW coming in 2026 from the mint

WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 8, 2023 3:12PM in U.S. Coin Forum

NEW COIN DESIGN'S FOR ALL CIRCULATING COINS IN 2026

An Invitation to All Americans: Honor Our Nation’s History with New Designs for United States Coins
September 8, 2023

WASHINGTON – 2026 will mark America’s Semiquincentennial, the 250th anniversary of the founding of our Nation. In commemoration of this momentous anniversary, the United States Mint (Mint) will be minting and issuing redesigned 2026-dated circulating coins. This one-year design change is for 2026 only.

The Mint is considering a variety of possible themes for these special circulating coins and we invite all Americans to take a brief survey about the thematic concepts being considered. Please visit https://catalog.usmint.gov/semiq to take the survey, which is open now through October 10, 2023.

As authorized by Public Law 116-330, the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act (CCCRA), the designs for the 2026 circulating coins will be selected in accordance with a design selection process developed in consultation with the United States Semiquincentennial Commission and with recommendations from the general public. A select group of Federal advisors from the Smithsonian Institution, National Archives and Records Administration, Library of Congress, and National Park Service participated in the development of the proposed thematic concepts that appear in the survey.

During the one-year period beginning January 1, 2026, the CCCRA permits the Secretary of the Treasury to mint and issue redesigned coins in celebration of the United States Semiquincentennial. This includes both the obverse and reverse sides of each circulating coin, including up to five different quarter designs emblematic of the Semiquincentennial, one of which must be “emblematic of a woman’s or women’s contribution to the birth of the Nation or the Declaration of Independence or any other monumental moments in American History.” The Mint is also planning new 2026 designs for its numismatic coins.

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. Only 1 year.....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 3:18PM

"Please indicate your interest in depictions of Liberty personified (“Lady Liberty”)."

YESSS!!!! B)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 3:20PM

That was fun! Especially the comments section.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just as long as they don't go with the "same picture on both sides" theme!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honey........where's my Etch a Sketch?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 3:42PM

The mint just wants your $$$$$$, not your opinions. COME ON MAN, all we need is more Magicians coins with 2 heads. 😖😞

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Put nice variations of lady liberty on the front and the eagle on the back and I'd be happy.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the info!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just took the survey! Thank you!😎

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything that promotes the hobby and brings new people in is fine by me. Collect what you enjoy and enjoy what you collect.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is going to be a massive money grab for the Mint.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will the treasury put "SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL" on a coin without a break?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices will be exceptionally higher and sales numbers will continue to decline.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    I took the survey and almost stopped halfway. While some questions pertain to the 250th anniversary and symbols of liberty; others ask which current political agendas or events in history should be depicted on coins. Seriously?

Agreed the politics was very obvious on those survey questions, for all the political garbage I listed "not at all interested" hope others do the same.

• Options

@erscolo said:
    Get ready for the woke and lots of expensive coins. 2027 can not come soon enough.

Maybe we could get Sydney Powell, Jenna Ellis, or one of the J6 convicts to dress up in a Greek goddess flowing gown to grace the new coin. That would be anti-woke. Right? Wouldn't that be worth the Mint premium. It's fun thinking of new designs.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember the excitement of new coins coming out in 1975 when they started releasing the Bicentennial coins. Thing is, back then everybody used coins. So many payments are plastic or electronic I just got my first 2023 coin in change the other day.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2023 11:35AM

The impossible task at hand is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the 56 straight, white males that agreed to create an insurrection against the Crown and create their own government. But in today’s environment, we cannot celebrate that without including everyone. So while George Washington was mentioned in the survey; so was Harvey Milk.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want nothing to do with the mint.

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Perfect for the edge!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    The impossible task at hand is celebrating the 250th anniversary of the 56 straight, white males that agreed to create an insurrection against the Crown and create their own government. But in today’s environment, we cannot celebrate that without including everyone. So while George Washington was mentioned in the survey; so was Harvey Milk.

Indeed it is not hard to ascertain where the mint wants these coins to go. As soon as I saw the word “progress” I began fearing this program would be hijacked for political purposes. I hope I’m wrong. I just wanna see some more of that beautiful Lady Liberty in all her grace and magnificent splendor.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Maybe they could shorten it to 3/4 letters like the grading services do,SQCL. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to use Paying Taxes quarters to… pay my taxes

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Define 'Lady' Liberty.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Just did the survey. This is going to be a boring set of coins. I was "neutral" or "not interested" on a lot of them. Using lines like "... all MEN are created equal" will never happen. I can hear the cries of misogyny if that makes it on a coin. I also pushed hard for Lady Liberty designs.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added my few thoughts to the survey. My hope is they will go with more timeless elements rather than trendy social ones that won’t age as well. I’ve forwarded to other people as well.

Just hope they do this right and won’t have more low relief overpriced stuff. Although this is the modern mint…

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe we will get some great errors and varieties out of these due to crowding them with so much ?????. Lady Liberty and a Eagle are the way to celebrate America and the freedoms it stands for.

• Options

Can there be a Mister Liberty too?

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said: Can there be a Mister Liberty too?

There probably shouldn't be. Liberty, as represented on coinage, is actually a personification of Liberty which is historically represented as being female. It dates back to Greek and Roman mythology and can be seen most clearly in the Statue of Liberty. Though it isn't absolute, female is generally representative of "Soul" and male is representative of "Mind" in most/many forms of art.

Libertas was the Roman goddess of Liberty and Freedom.

• Options

@Maywood Thanks for that info

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I'd like to see the minuteman portrayed similar to the 1925 Lexington commemorative who helped make our country possible.

I actually wrote that in the survey comments section. Would love to see The Minutemen return to coinage.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OwenSeymour said:
    I’m a little lost on what is being classified as “political garbage” in regards to the survey? The only questions I could imagine being politically divisive were those relating to women’s suffrage and the civil rights act? I truly hope I’m missing something here because if we’re dumping on the survey for asking the surveyee if those are images we’d like represented that’s truly pathetic. If you’re actually upset about a coin celebrating women’s right to vote (which occurred barely 100 years ago!) please respond to my comment here so I can acknowledge your severe mental handicap and profound ignorance. Hell do you any of you realize how delicious the irony is that you’re spitefully VOTING no to women being able to VOTE being celebrated on coins LOL. This forum never ceases to amaze me, just when I’d thought I’d hit bedrock they manage to get another foot deeper.

Owen

>
    >
    Perhaps take a few deep breath’s and relax!😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file