Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS "Awarded" this Half Cent a Details Grade (XF45) with Five (negative) attributes

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you name them?

I'd think anything over two of the five is pretty good (three out of five).
Four of the five are outstanding.
I'd be shocked if someone got all five out of five.
(I'll have the full slab shot later and yes, I did purchase this lovely coin.)

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holed
    Damaged (separate from the hole)
    Countermark
    Cleaned
    Bent

are my five guesses

• Options

@braddick said:

@U1chicago said:
    Holed
    Damaged (separate from the hole)
    Countermark
    Cleaned
    Bent

are my five guesses

Wait.
    What?!
    Second guess got it.

:o

Even a broken clock is right twice a day? :D

I did not expect to actually get all five. I started with the obvious (hole), then saw the counterstamp (so figured I would say countermark, which is what I have seen on other Anacs holders); there was what I figured to be damage around the countermark; cleaning is something I added in since it seems like a common issue. And finally bent was just a complete guess since I had run out of ideas.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have thought verdigris would have been a choice although perhaps ANACS doesn't recognize that.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    I'd have thought verdigris would have been a choice although perhaps ANACS doesn't recognize that.

I wonder if that falls under environmental damage which Anacs felt was already covered under the general "damaged" term.

• Options

I thought Rim Ding might have been one of the problems, but that could also just be considered part of the damage.
    Also, ANACS could have run out of space for listing problems on the slab.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say holed , damaged, environmental damage, cleaned and bent.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Well, you got what you paid for. :)

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should start the thread - “I can’t believe this came back “cleaned”!! I just can’t see it. Should I resubmit or send to another TPG?”

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

OBJECTION!

The "damage" in the centers of both sides, and any possible bend in the coin, are both part of the countermarking process. That should only be one strike, not three.

And "cleaned?" Where? It needs a good soak in acetone followed by some Q-tip work.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is great as a conversation piece and far more interesting than the typical Morgan dollar or high-grade modern coin. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 2:48AM

What I notice most is that on the label the word "DETAILS" is not centered under the grade "EF 45".

That's really annoying. :|:)

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed rim damage... Not bent. I wasn't sure on cleaning but the others were pretty obvious. But a very interesting talking piece for sure!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks "damaged" is redundant. I'm glad you like the coin. It certainly has character. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Did you check the box for verdigris attribution on the submission form? They might charge extra for that

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 8:23AM

don't you feel it has XF details?

I would have a difficult time pricing it

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    What I notice most is that on the label the word "DETAILS" is not centered under the grade "EF 45".

That's really annoying. :|:)

Send it back for relabeling.

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 214 ✭✭✭✭

I think anything beyond five criticisms is just piling on. :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only other grading service that does more than one negative is Icg.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has character!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's the EAC Grade? -12?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to say, despite all these negative attributes, it still falls short to qualify for a parking lot find award. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file