Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Are The Quintessential Coins From Each Mint?

I was just thinking about Carson City coinage (because I often do LOL) and thought about the coins that epitomize the mint itself. I don't just mean the rarest coins from the mint, but coins that capture what the mint was truly about.

Carson City:

The 1870-cc dollar. Not only the first coin struck there, but Comstock Lode silver is the reason the mint exists.

The 1875-cc 20c piece. The 20c coin was created to address the lack of small change in western states. The idea being that a customer only got back a dime in change for a quarter purchase and using a 20c coin would allow merchants to make proper change. It was one of those ideas that looked good on paper (maybe not even on paper) but failed in practice.

The 1878-cc Morgan dollar. Bland-Allison, which gave us Morgan dollars, was enacted specifically to subsidize western silver mining interests. The Morgan dollar was tailor made for Carson City.

For San Francisco:

The 1854-s $20. The $20 denomination was created to more efficiently coin the vast amounts of gold from California and 1854 was the inaugural coinage.

1909-s vdb cent. This coin gave San Francisco it's reputation for issuing rare coins. Ironically, it's not rare but every kid trying to plug holes in a Whitman folder needed one. San Francisco has issued some truly rare coins but it's reputation is built on this one.

New Orleans:

The 1861-o half dollar. Struck by the US, Louisiana, and the Confederacy. You get the history of the antebellum south wrapped up in a single issue.

The 1879-o Morgan Dollar. The New Orleans mint was shut down during the Civil War, like the other two southern mints which never reopened. New Orleans likely would have remained closed as well if not for the need to strike millions of silver dollars to satisfy the requirements of the Bland-Allison act. The Morgan dollar gave the New Orleans mint 30 years of new life and a few not so well struck rarities in several denominations.

I may add more as I consider the various issues. What would you add to the list?

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2023 12:16PM

1838-O half dime and dime, extending the "no stars" type from 1837 to 1838.

1838-O and 1839-O half dollars, with the mint mark on the obverse.

1840 "(O)" WB-4, WB-12 half dollar, with no mint mark.
    Was made in the New Orleans mint. (New 1840 obverse, with 1838 "medium letters" reverse left over from 1838 and 1839 when the mint mark was on the obverse).
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1840-o-50c-medium-letters/6233

1851-o 3 cent silver - the only 3CS with a mint mark.

1908-s and 1909-s Indian Cents - the only ones with a mint mark.

1912-D, 1912-S Liberty nickels - the only ones with mint marks.

I am thinking more about what are the "unusual" coins from the mint, not the rare ones or "what the mint was about".

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2023 11:03AM

Although a medal, the SC$ listed below and catalogued as HK-876 was the first thing struck at the new Denver Mint.

Also a medal, SC$ HK-449 pictured below commemorates the only overseas mint ever established by our country.

The below issues are listed as the first issues "produced" by the US in Philadelphia.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 705 ✭✭✭✭

I'd say for

West Point: The 1995-W Silver Eagle. West Point was known as the Fort Knox of silver and this symbolizes intentional rarities for collectors to flip.

3rd Philadelphia mint: 1933 Double Eagle
    4th Philadelphia mint: 1974 Aluminum cent

Denver: 1964-D Peace Dollar, 1927-D Double Eagle

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

61D gold dollar. I like the 46 Philly small date half Eagle for the price v survivors in all grades.

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fun topic.

The 1838-O 10c, 1854-S $20, and 1870-CC $1 also hold the honor of being the inaugural denominations struck at their respective mints, so I would second those choices.

I would add the 1846-O as the first branch mint silver dollar and the 1838-C and 1838-D half eagles.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2023 6:22PM

Whoops.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

1878 8 tail feathers Morgan.
    1853 arrows and rays half.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

1921-D Morgan Silver Dollar- First Morgan Dollar struck at the Denver Mint
    !942-P Jefferson 5c- first Philadelphia coin with mint mark
    1984-W Olympic Eagle- first West Point coin with "W" mint mark

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 D DDO cent for Denver.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Trade Dollar for San Francisco. It was created specifically for trade with the Orient and San Francisco was the center for that.

• Options

West Point has to be this:

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2023 6:21PM

For gold, the Dalongena and Charlotte mints:
    The 1839-c $2.50 and $5.00 and
    1839-D$2.50 and $5.00.

They also appear in 1838 for the Classic Head coins ($2.50,$5.00) mint mark only on obverse for only these two years.
    Whoops! This shows my bias towards Liberty Gold.

It's cool how the mint marks are on the obverse: (Not my coins)

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only two New Orleans coins

• Options

Wow on the 38-o half!

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Wow on the 38-o half!

Thank you! Ironically the proof 39-O is more rare but less valuable (mainly because the 38-O was the first, is more famous, and there are no business strikes for the issue).

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Orleans biggies:
    1842-O small date
    1846-O tall date
    1853-O no arrows and rays

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file