Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Comparison pics “grade revealed ms65” GTG 1921 Peace dollar

PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2023 3:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A friend thinks this coin is under graded and I disagree. Let’s see what members of this forum thinks.

I will post the grade in a couple of days.

New pictures added Monday august 28th.

Grade revealed on august 29

Comparison pictures august 30th

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

64?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really hard to tell from those pictures. To many shadows.
    I can see that it's nice and white.
    From what I can see it's got nice surfaces.
    I'd say 64 could go 65 but not sure.
    Just my opinion.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

Not my area and the lighting washes out any luster but mark free like a 65 or 66.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Similar as the others, if it's not dipped out it looks pretty darn clean. 65

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be different I'll say AU58 (WAG)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those photos, it looks polished (cleaned). I’m guessing it’s in a straight-grade holder but these photos permit no evaluation of mint luster. Could be AU58 to MS64. Force me to guess and I’d say MS62 for muted luster.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

62/63.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 + and she looks good to me

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos looks like muted luster maybe from a dip at one point. Minor hits in the eyes and one if the lower neck area. Some marks on the obverse and reverse rims and chatter in the reverse tail, leg feathers and rays. Looks to be a nice coin, I would say 63-64

K

ANA LM
  • Options

62-63

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

Can you take post better pictures ?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional strike, if that were the main criteria on grade it would be a superb gem.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 64 camp too.

• Options
    BoloBolo Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭

I can't say for sure because of the pictures, but I have a matched 63 collection of Peace dollars and this one appears to be cleaner than any of mine, so I'd guess a 64-65.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 but surfaces look off as already mentioned.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2023 5:16PM

@Ppp said:
    A friend thinks this coin is under graded and I disagree. Let’s see what members of this forum thinks.

I will post the grade in a couple of days.

Since you said your friend thinks the coin’s under-graded, a straight grade was implied. So I’ll guess MS63, due to the unsightly staining on Liberty’s face and neck. If you hadn’t said what you did, I would have guessed Unc. Detail, Cleaned.

Edited to add: For anyone who thinks the coin might not have been dipped, I think that you should reconsider.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 62 is my guess because it appears somewhat dull and that seems like a potential grade where your friend would think it is undergraded.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically should be AU details.

Coin looks polished from the pictures, but at best it was only cleaned. And it’s got more ticks than a deer in the forest.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

MS62

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 435 ✭✭✭

Either AU58 or MS64...better pictures would narrow it down.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

Something is not as it appears….If it wasn’t mentioned that it was under graded I would say it was a counterfeit or polished , dipped, and cleaned . The strike is too good to be true, this coin if in the right hands would have been in the 66-67 camp if not for the dings and marks. It just doesn’t look right to me and I apologize because it’s probably due to the quality of the photos provided. Thanks for posting , this is one of the hardest coins to grade in my opinion. I know I’m way off on this one.

• Options

Thank you for all the comments.

I find it very difficult to take good quality pictures using an iPad or iPhone. Someday I will figure this out. I hope the new pictures below are better. I also included these pictures on the original post.
    If these pictures revise previous guesses then please post your new guess.

I also, find it extremely difficult to grade peace dollars. Peace dollars I think are Ms 63 get graded as au58 therefore for my personal collection I am sticking to just buying already graded coins.

Another observation I find is luster when grading a coin. We all have seen at times coins that in my opinion look ugly with zero luster get better grades than a blast white coin. Hmmmmmm interesting. 🤔 that’s why I agree with buying the coin not the slab

• Options
    BoloBolo Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, with these pictures I'd revise my guess down to a 62-63, maybe even AU. These pick up a lot more chatter than the previous set did, and is that some kind of residue on the obverse on the neck/in front of face?

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Revised to AU55. Looks like a long scratch on obverse from eye down to neck and a scratch on reverse eagles wings. Plus big luster breaks, coin looks wiped or circulated. Has a very nice strike.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    Similar as the others, if it's not dipped out it looks pretty darn clean. 65

Again I agree with others, looks nowhere near as clean in these new pics along with various other issues. 55

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bolo said:
    Ok, with these pictures I'd revise my guess down to a 62-63, maybe even AU. These pick up a lot more chatter than the previous set did, and is that some kind of residue on the obverse on the neck/in front of face?

me too, no way this is 64 - I am now at 62 , and truly a wag at that!

• Options

Based on the new pictures, I'll guess 62. Presumably, they're more accurate than the original ones and if so, it would have been better if the first ones were never posted. Guess-the-grade threads can be fun and serve as helpful exercises, but not if/when the pictures are too far off.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess MS63.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 62. Obverse has white blotches and many small ticks and reverse has 2 scrapes across eagle’s wing and a lot of blotchiness

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the new images I am now thinking 62-ish, many hairlines visible on the obverse that seem to be in the same direction. I don't think bad enough for details grade.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 update **

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be the pics but I’m saying AU58, although in hand it very well could be MS.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sticking with my 64 + … although not proudly!

I can’t tell what that is on the neck but if it’s toning then that’s typically not going to hurt the grade.

I submitted three 1921 to PCGS in the past and all three were flawless, I thought.
    One is a 64 and the other two are details cleaned - a small patch of hairlines did them in, all I could figure out.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Based on the new pictures, I'll guess 62. Presumably, they're more accurate than the original ones and if so, it would have been better if the first ones were never posted. Guess-the-grade threads can be fun and serve as exercises, but not if/when the pictures are too far off.

I think it is a helpful reminder that grading from pictures is perilous even when there is no intent to deceive with the photos.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    I’m sticking with my 64 + … although not proudly!

I can’t tell what that is on the neck but if it’s toning then that’s typically not going to hurt the grade.

I submitted three 1921 to PCGS in the past and all three were flawless, I thought.
    One is a 64 and the other two are details cleaned - a small patch of hairlines did them in, all I could figure out.

Why are you sticking with 64+?
    In addition to the splotches(?) on the face and neck (which I’m guessing are remnants of a dipping), there are hairlines on Liberty’s face and neck, a scratch through her hair and scratches on the eagle. If the coin was graded higher than 63, I’ll mumble with my foot in my mouth.😉

• Options

Thank you everyone for your comments. Granted the pictures were not the best, I apologize, especially for luster however, at a minimum I hoped they would be good enough to judge grade based on strike.

Is everyone sitting down. Either NGC messed up or the photographs really hurt the guesses since the vast majority were off. NGC graded this coin MS65.

In hand I agreed with this ms65 grade after comparing it to my MS 62 (picture included in this post).

In my personal collection I prefer PCGS graded coins but always viewed NGC as equivalent. I won’t do this but I am tempted to crack out and send to PCGS as a test of NGC grading.

Ms65 in the ordinal post

Ms62 I compared it too before I bought it.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing your pics didn't help. I'm trying to figure out why your friend feels it is undergraded. For better pics try placing your phone or tablet on a coffee mug for clearer pics.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I don’t think this coin has any shot at MS65+ or MS66. Too many hits. “Leftovers” from having been dipped, muted luster. I can’t see it higher than MS64. Of course, it could be different in-hand.

• Options

@Ppp said:
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Granted the pictures were not the best, I apologize, especially for luster however, at a minimum I hoped they would be good enough to judge grade based on strike.

Is everyone sitting down. Either NGC messed up or the photographs really hurt the guesses since the vast majority were off. NGC graded this coin MS65.

In hand I agreed with this ms65 grade after comparing it to my MS 62 (picture included in this post).

In my personal collection I prefer PCGS graded coins but always viewed NGC as equivalent. I won’t do this but I am tempted to crack out and send to PCGS as a test of NGC grading.

Ms65 in the ordinal post

Ms62 I compared it too before I bought it.

Please pardon my mumbling, as I posted previously "If the coin was graded higher than 63, I’ll mumble with my foot in my mouth.😉"

The coin does look considerably better in the most recent set of images but even with them, I still wouldn't have guessed that high.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2023 7:19AM

Nice MS 65 1921 Peace Dollar. Like it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing your friend thinks this coin is a lock gold cac sticker candidate? Lol

I’d be sending that thing back to NGC for their grade guarantee to kick in.

Does your ms62 coin have an extensive scratch from “In” to the end of the date?

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Coin looks great. It probably looks way better in hand than pictures. Photography is not easy and I find that my photos never show how the coin looks in hand.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

It helps to see the 65 next to the 62 for comparison.

I've never really liked the luster on the 1921 Peace dollars, which makes going very high in the grading scale hard for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file