Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regular 1942 Dime Being Sold as a 1942/1 - Please Report

ShurkeShurke Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
edited August 28, 2023 12:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

There's a regular 1942 dime being sold on eBay as a 1942/1.

Linky.

The seller claims it's been vetted by two separate coin dealers, but ... the pictures speak for themselves. I sent the seller a message about 3 days ago and never got a response. About 8 hours to go on the auction, and it somehow got bid up over $400. Let's see if we can get this one removed before it's too late.

Comments

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

It’s still up at $405.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short notice and it's harder on a weekend, maybe @burfle23 can get it removed in time.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

Even if it is sold, it can still be removed up until the time buyer pays for it.
    Don’t really feel sorry for a buyer bidding that much not doing his homework.

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I guess I dropped the ball on this one. I remember thinking no one would fall for the listing, so I put it on the back burners of my brain and forgot about it.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

bidder in the middle looks like a shill bidder for sure......

Maybe even the other bidder also

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Reported but still active

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    i can see the 0ne underneath the two

No, you cannot. As you have shown through numerous comments, attributing coins is beyond your ability. Please do not comment further on this coin, any other die varieties, or counterfeit coins.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

who are you to tell me not to post my opinion on topics you arent some supreme being

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both reported.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

well they look nothing like that so i see where you are coming from but you my friend are the rudist most self entitled schmuck to ever come down the pike and i hope to someday meet you in person.. looking forward to the day..

• Options

i was looking at something on the other side of the 2

• Options
    edited August 27, 2023 3:59PM

. go get another pizza roll

• Options

@steve76020 said:
    well they look nothing like that so i see where you are coming from but you my friend are the rudist most self entitled schmuck to ever come down the pike and i hope to someday meet you in person.. looking forward to the day..

He would mop the floor with you. :D

• Options

i apologize to all except the 2 experts here who are never wrong i thought it was a typical mark over where there is barely anything showing and i didnt know it was such an obvious mistake in minting. please accept apologies

• Options
    edited August 27, 2023 4:07PM

??

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

well im 6ft 3 and 250lbs so bring a lunch

• Options

@steve76020 said:

The bigger they are the harder they fall. :D

• Options

@steve76020 said:

Curious which of us participating on this post you are referring to?

• Options

****> @ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

so you say im trying to ignore you as ive reported you for threatening me but if your so inclined im in texas come on down

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    ****> @ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

so you say im trying to ignore you as ive reported you for threatening me but if your so inclined im in texas come on down

Respectfully, resorting to threats is not going to win the argument, make you any friends, or even preserve your membership on the forum. PCGS tolerates a LOT, but not everything.

Objectively, this is a weakly moderated thread that requires no permissions to post. So, feel free to keep posting. You don't have to be right. Frankly, the fact that you were wrong made this thread more educational for the next reader because it forced people to post the correct information. Studies show that students actually learn more from being wrong than from being right.

When people tell you not to post or get lost, please just ignore them or respectfully tell them that they aren't the forum police. There is nothing to be gained from threats or anger. I get told to "take a vacation" a couple times per year. Meh. There are some cantankerous old curmudgeons around here who, like all cantankerous old curmudgeons, have a tendency to want everything the way it was "in the good old days".

• Options

@steve76020 said:

You are the one threating members, " i hope to someday meet you in person.. looking forward to the day.."
    I just replied. ;)
    I guess you don't know "The bigger they are the harder they fall." is an old saying, it's not a threat. ;)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone, ebay removed.

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

You are the one threating members, " i hope to someday meet you in person.. looking forward to the day.."
    I just replied. ;)
    I guess you don't know "The bigger they are the harder they fall." is an old saying, it's not a threat. ;)

Respectfully, it is an old saying but could also be a threat.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

It could also be about a tree falling in the forest. ;)

Everyone is free to put whatever spin they want on it. :D

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

I feel all worn out from reading this thread

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It could also be about a tree falling in the forest. ;)

Everyone is free to put whatever spin they want on it. :D

The context was already provided by the thread in which it was embedded. This dodge is neither clever nor convincing. Just because he started it doesn't mean you can't both be guilty.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    The context was already provided

Correct, and if you go back and read the context it should be clear it was not a threat just a statement that size doesn't matter.

@steve76020 said, "i hope to someday meet you in person.. looking forward to the day.." in reply to IkesT.
    I said, "He will mop the floor with you"
    Then steve76020 replied bragging what a big man he is. "well im 6ft 3 and 250lbs so bring a lunch"
    Then I made a statement that size doesn't matter, "The bigger they are the harder they fall."

The context implies that IkesT would still have no problem with how big he is.

Now if I would have replied to steve76020's invite "but if your so inclined im in texas come on down" that might have been construed as a threat. ;)

I worked with a guy back in 1982, he was about 5' 6" and weighed around 180, he once fought Chuck Norris in competition. He would never pick a fight but sure loved to finish them. He would go to the bar and find a big guy picking on a little guy and step in. He didn't even care if there were 2 of them Steve's size, he would make short work of it.

Just like another old saying "dynamite comes in small packages" that is not a threat either. ;)

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

Wow, Steve sounds like Roy D. Mercer. How many forum members has he threatened now? I give it 50/50 odds he is either banned or at least in forum jail by Monday afternoon.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

I just replied. ;)

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill there counselor.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2023 10:16PM

you are putting your context into my mind why dont you forget about me. i wasnt bragging about anything whos to say besides you that i would do anything other than shake the mans hand.

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:

@steve76020 said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@steve76020 said:

Wow, Steve sounds like Roy D. Mercer. How many forum members has he threatened now? I give it 50/50 odds he is either banned or at least in forum jail by Monday afternoon.

well i have reported you also for harrasment and if you go back in time you will see i made a simple mistake of not noticing a date on a thread and those two guys and their cronies have done nothing but harrass me even after my 3vor 4 apologies im sick of you guys and i wouldnt care if i was banned if they coddle to bullies like you are and i do feel sorry for you all if the good people on this forum would stand up to you guys you would see exactly what slime trail leaving slugs you are

• Options

oh please you have never had a friend in your miserable life ive asked then begged you to leave me alone and you are a coward because you are saying all this online. once again i implore you to leave me alone

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

It absolutely boggles my mind that there are bidders on coins like this. How can someone put out that kind of money when they obviously know nothing about what they are bidding on! While I am sure some are shill bidders to run the price up, some are certainly legitimate.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2023 4:23AM

Thanks for trying to put this train-wreck post back on the rails @lcutler ; started out as an informative post by the OP and a tantrum is blowing the post for all...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2023 4:18AM

I see someone getting the boot and thread closed. There's other and better ways of doing this with a threat 😐

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice thread, got to report 2 bogus dimes and a worthless alt troll.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did this thread go off the rails or what.

@steve76020 said:

Steve76020, with all due respect, it appears to me that you are the one making the threats here. IMO, this forum is no place to make threats of physical violence. I will agree with you on one point, Again, IMO, the individual did come off as a little harsh in questioning your abilities of attributing varieties. However, after going back and reading some of your other posts, I tend to agree with him. Just think maybe a little blunt in calling you out. I follow that individual as well as others involved in this post. Very experience people with a wealth of knowledge. I myself have 59 years in the hobby and know when to comment and when to keep my mouth closed, read and learn. Perhaps you would benefit by doing the same. And one should never make veiled threats on a public forum no matter how big you are.

This discussion has been closed.