Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

5.1 earthquake nearby. Do you have an evacuation plan for your collection?

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2023 3:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just had a 5.1 earthquake pretty close by. Wow I was on my balcony and it started bouncing like a diving board. As I assessed the situation I considered my collection and how to safely extract it should it be necessary. California sees the “hurricane” turned tropical storm and raised it with a disorienting earthquake, haha. Now that the adrenaline is wearing off I am wondering if others have an emergency plan for any valued property that can be moved (somewhat easily)?

Comments

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope! I had a small earthquake a couple months ago, but they are so small and rare for me that I’m not worried at all.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are safe! I'll go back and get my coins after the all clear.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I felt that and I’m about 100 miles south of you.
    In all honesty, during an earthquake, coins are not really on my mind. That happens too fast and they are not worth dying for.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

5.1 is weak. Need at least a 6.0 to get me excited.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2023 5:22PM

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci39645386/executive

My collection can survive an earthquake, unless there's a fire that goes with it!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohio here so not concerned about an earthquake. But given other natural disasters, no way I can move my entire collection but depending on time constraints I may grab my # 3 Registry set but then have to worry about security with it outside the safe. Of course I'll be packing.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2023 6:28PM

Put your best stuff in a bank vault and insure it. I truly doubt anything will happen and if it does then it will be so bad you will just be happy to be alive. Were I live the biggest I went threw was a 3 dot something. In my area that is pretty much the max. Shock a bit but truly was minimal. We get tornadoes category 1 but they are rare and cause next to no damage based on images I have seen in my province (Canada).

A massive one will hit the west coast as we all know at some point went that happens people will be in such a mental mess that collectibles will mean next to nothing to them. If they are still alive they will be just happy to not be part of the dead. Glad I am not on the west coast. May or may not happen in our lives but it will at some point there is no denying the science.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only plan I can think of is Insure your collection, and then it may not help. if you put it in a bank vault it may not be any safer from the earthquake there either.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

An earthquake is probably the "least harmful" natural disaster that might befall a coin collection. Fire and flood can ruin coins, even well-protected coins, but an earthquake can't. Unless the quake starts a fire, it should be entirely safe from direct damage.

It wouldn't be safe from looters, however, if it's a major quake causing extensive structural damage and the authorities determine you've got to evacuate and you have to leave your property ruined and unattended for an extended period of time. But, as noted by others above, if it's that bad you've probably got higher priorities to worry about than your coins.

If it makes you feel better, you might consider reorganizing your collection to put all the most treasured/valuable coins in one easily identifiable object (box, album, whatever) so you can grab it quickly in an emergency, or (in worst case) so you can spot it easily amongst the ruins. However, just remember, if you can grab it quick and get out quick, so could a burglar. You don't want to make things easy for them.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, It’s pre-evacuation plans.
    I’ve seen all the movies; the guy who flees with a bunch of crap is graphic dead meat two scenes later. Fill your pockets with bullion (unless it’s the tsunami) and Snickers. The bullion is to throw on the ground to give yourself time to get away from the people who want your Snickers bars.

How people act after a crisis is as big concern as the event?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

one i'm not worrying about my collection i'm more worried about my family ,coins and such can be replaced people can't

Always expect the unexpected to happen, as it will anyway no matter what you do

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a storage issue. You don't ever want to spend time during an emergency trying to evacuate collectibles.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

My emergency plan is running as fast as I can and a little bit of praying.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

In California, Earthquakes would have little or no effect on a coin collection.

In California, Wildfires are the biggest danger to coin collections, so plan on it happening.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my collection insured. If we get a tsunami, the insurance will not pay out because they washed out to sea along with the rest of North America as I am 1,000 miles inland and 5,200 feet in elevation. If we get an earthquake over 4.0, that will be an historic first. If we get a tornado, that would be unprecedented as well. If we have a wildfire, well there is insurance.
    All things considered I have the insurance and do not worry about the rest.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Ventura here! The aftershocks seem to have slowed down. I am more worried about a fire. 2023 Hurriquake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file