Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1851 Seated Quarters - Which Do You Prefer?

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 18, 2023 7:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have my opinion of course. Just wondering what you all think. They're both PCGS XF40 and not my pics.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one in the OGH 😉.

Both have positive and negative attributes.

Assuming this is for your collection, the one that more closely matches your other coins.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough. I like obverse one better and reverse two better. Usually pick the obverse but the (die polish?) lines on the reverse of 1 are more distracting to me so I pick #2.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prefer #2

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

Both have positive and negative attributes.

Agree

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s close, but I prefer #1.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take #1. I find the larger contact mark in the left obverse field of #2 distracting. Both are quite nice for 1851-P, though.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

Based on those photo's i'd go with #1

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2023 8:37AM

I believe the seller of #1 is a member here.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    kirkminkkirkmink Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"- Calvin and Hobbes

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fairly certain that #1 is going to look much better in-hand. It appears to have very original surfaces. My choice: #1.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 for me!

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

Running tally is 6-6. B)

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was number 1, then after a lot of questioning and comparing, I still like the first one.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slight preference for #1. Unless the price is significantly higher, go for #1. But if the price is significantly higher then go for #2 because they both are so similar in condition that a significant premium for #1 over #2 wouldn’t make sense

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I'm fairly certain that #1 is going to look much better in-hand. It appears to have very original surfaces. My choice: #1.

To me, it would depend on how that stained area on the obverse really appears in hand. But I agree that it looks to have very original skin.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

By far I like the better strikes of the obverse 1 and the reverse 2 better. I think the color of 1 is off, a little bluish from reality. I'm thinking if I had them side by side in hand I would go with 1.

• Options

This is my current 51, VF20. Almost certainly lightly cleaned in the past as most of these coins are.

I'm not super motivated to upgrade it unless the right coin comes along.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

First has more eye appeal (potentially) to me; the second one's wear stands out.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my AU58 with heavy die striations. I got it out of an old National Coin Album and submitted it raw in 2008 or so. It's original, but certainly not the prettiest AU58 you could ask for.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

the first one- not even close in my mind

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 61.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 1 much better, looks more original to me.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 224 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pictures, I like #1.

Tonedeaf is a nickname given to me in reference to my guitar playing ability.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

Running tally is 13-6.

Here's my take on them. Neither one are ideal for the grade. I think the first one has had a light cleaning and retoned. I think the second one is original but with two issues - the gouge in the obv field mentioned above, and the odd toning pattern on the obv high points. If any of you were around in the 70's-80's you may recognize toning like that. It comes from an original coin with the high points in long term contact with a PVC flip. It doesn't mean the coin itself developed PVC (although it could have) but the PVC affected what was previously original skin. I've seen plenty of coins like that come out of PVC flips.

Conclusion - Despite the problems, I lean toward the second coin because I think it's more original than the first. But, neither are ideal, so I will probably pass on both of them for now and focus on upgrades for the handful of coins in my set that are below VF.

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭✭

I like #1

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Running tally is 13-6.

Here's my take on them. Neither one are ideal for the grade. I think the first one has had a light cleaning and retoned. I think the second one is original but with two issues - the gouge in the obv field mentioned above, and the odd toning pattern on the obv high points. If any of you were around in the 70's-80's you may recognize toning like that. It comes from an original coin with the high points in long term contact with a PVC flip. It doesn't mean the coin itself developed PVC (although it could have) but the PVC affected what was previously original skin. I've seen plenty of coins like that come out of PVC flips.

Conclusion - Despite the problems, I lean toward the second coin because I think it's more original than the first. But, neither are ideal, so I will probably pass on both of them for now and focus on upgrades for the handful of coins in my set that are below VF.

I agree with you on both the second one and neither.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second one.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2023 9:10PM

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    I'll take #1. I find the larger contact mark in the left obverse field of #2 distracting. Both are quite nice for 1851-P, though.

Agreed.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2023 12:06AM
    1. From the photos given 1. appears to be more like a true XF45. 2 seems to be cleaned at least in the view shown.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 100% sure #2 has been cleanedh. Not so sure that #1 couldn't be original.
    While #2 has slightly better detail, and a tad more luster.......it looks played with & the field dent is a 45 to 40 deduction.
    If #1 were dipped out like #2 maybe that hidden luster would shine a bit more.........don't do it though.

1 for me.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 my preference

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill go with #1 as well

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

1 of the two choices, is more pleasing to the eye.

• Options

I ended up not getting either of them.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 for me. Looks like it has been messed with less. Plus, the obverse hits on #2 make it a hard no for me. Love your posts by the way.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

1 for me. Looks like it has been messed with less. Plus, the obverse hits on #2 make it a hard no for me. Love your posts by the way.

Hit the # first didn’t you. I agree with #1.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like #1 because it looks "masculine." Reminds me of the dirty hands I had whenever I was an auto mechanic in another life.

Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file