Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone ever see a PCGS coin backwards in the slab?

opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking really hard, this is probably the first time I've seen it. Maybe I discovered the $10,000 slab error :D

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be uncommon for that sample slab. I don’t recall seeing one like this before.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shield cents are slabbed backwards by default. You have to request front facing.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never on an early PCGS sample slab like that.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it all the time .....

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about the label and the coin backwards in the slab?

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

The backwards label/coin... I would ask them to reholder it at no cost as that is just poor QC.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @MarkInDavis and @ctf_error_coins suggest. I would think mostly requested with some type of anomaly, variety or error on the reverse. I requested these.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold this one a few years back.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's been said multiple times already, but usually this happens due to the interesting feature of the coin being on the reverse such as an error, toning, or otherwise. It certainly doesn't increase the value of the slab or the coin. It's simply a presentation choice.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never seen that sample with the coin reversed before - nice!

This is the only rattler I have that's "sort of" similar.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a high grade Roosevelt with exceptional reverse toning which is reversed in the slab. No thoughts on a reholder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file