Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More slabs coming back with bad NFC chips *Update*

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2023 5:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

We got another submission back with 8 coins.
Seven of the eight all have dead NFC chips.

Has anyone else gotten coins back recently and have this problem?

Comments

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS? Do you send them back for replacement or what?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the misstep while the WFOM is taking place? Have they offered to fix them?

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's certainly disappointing. I don't have any recent submissions to our host, but I did pick up a gold shield sample slab where they left the NFC chip out. :D

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

@Kliao said:
    Maybe the misstep while the WFOM is taking place? Have they offered to fix them?

Heather is helping me and I really appreciate that! It looks like we’re going to get this resolved very soon!
    👍

The right person to 🙂

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in knowing if the slabs need to be returned to PCGS to be reholdered with a new chip (i.e. chip is defective) or if they are able to initialize them on their side without the slab in hand. The latter is probably easier to fix (it's a coding problem vs. a batch of bad chips from their supplier).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not bad chips, just bad data. The most likely scenario is that the step of linking the code on the chip (it is probably NOT the cert #) to the cert in the database was missed.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Actually, the data on the chip IS the cert# plus a nonce. I did a post on this right after they were first issued.

-----Burton
  • Options

The chip opens the app, just says "invalid cert number" but if scanned with the camera, it goes to the cert page just fine.

• Options

Sounds like it's not properly initialized in PCGS' database and they should be able to fix it remotely.

-----Burton
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 4:39PM

My phone recognizes there's a chip, but the "read" does absolutely nothing

My phone has read other slabs fine.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I found out recently that the chips were good all along, there was just some kind of a system error that PCGS and everything updated, it took about three weeks, but they were good chips after all… I thought this should be on the record.

So if anyone gets one and it’s not working right away, give it some time it probably will work eventually, it’s just an IT issue.

👍

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phew. !!!!

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options