Home Sports Talk
Options

"Down Goes Anderson!"

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the game sucked but the boxing match was epic! :D

Jose Ramirez on his fight with Tim Anderson last night: "I couldn't get to hit him with my left, but I did what I could. I liked to practice boxing when I was in the complex in the DR in 2010 and 2011 watching Ramón Peña (the scout who signed him)."

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options

Guardians third baseman José Ramírez has received a three-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for fighting.

White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson has received a six-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for fighting. (And loss of all dignity for the rest of the season :D:D:D )

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭

Loved that. Anderson is pretty insufferable and to pick a fight then get dropped like that is just funny. Anderson has also been one of if not the worst player in baseball this year as well

• Options

Anderson started the crap on Friday:
    "Tempers flared on Friday night when Cleveland was upset with Chicago shortstop Tim Anderson after he pushed rookie Brayan Rocchio's hand off of second base and the Umpires called Rocchio out."

• Options

Cant really blame him for pushing someone off the bag if the umpires and the replay who basically refuse to overturn calls like that allow it. That said Anderson acts like hes Othani when he is a very average player at best. Hasnt played a full year since 2018 when he was terrible and his defense is really bad. I dont blame Rameriz at all

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's all fun and games until someone connects with your sweet spot, and it doesn't matter if it's a flailing slap-punch like this one.............you'll be turned into a weeble wobble

the best part for me was the ump. at first he tries to intervene, then he's like, "oh y'all are gonna legit fight? here let me exit stage right" 😅

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/H5NR4pQ8l8s

• Options

Yeah, that's funny. Ump be like backin' down the road. B)

• Options

{Cant really blame him for pushing someone off the bag if the umpires and the replay who basically refuse to overturn calls like that allow it.}

Umps called the runner safe on this play costing Washington the win - so was this OK too? You can't really get anymore proof of a play than this........

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha pretty funny fight, these guys both put up their dukes 😂😂😂

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    {Cant really blame him for pushing someone off the bag if the umpires and the replay who basically refuse to overturn calls like that allow it.}

Umps called the runner safe on this play costing Washington the win - so was this OK too? You can't really get anymore proof of a play than this........

From a player perspective yes its okay. The Umpires are the ones that are supposed to enforce the rules and MLB has a serious umpiring issue especially with replay. They just simply dont like overturning their colleagues and have a strong union that for some reason MLB refuses to challenge like they do the players even though the umpires are easily replaceable

They should have people that do replays exclusively and not rotate field umpires into the room. Every sport should do it like the XFL did too where its a live feed and you can hear the reasoning to create more accountability

The running path to first really is one of the dumbest rules in sports though. The base is in entirely fair territory and the running path is entirely foul territory. If youre in the dirt it should be allowed so I dont have an issue with that not being called.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

he got tapped right on the light switch. doesnt matter how ugly the punch is, you clip someone with a hand to the chin its lights out. it is why boxers are trained to tuck the chin. I was never a pro boxer, but i have had a little experience and it is pretty close to 100%.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2023 5:11PM

@craig44 said:
    he got tapped right on the light switch. doesnt matter how ugly the punch is, you clip someone with a hand to the chin its lights out. it is why boxers are trained to tuck the chin. I was never a pro boxer, but i have had a little experience and it is pretty close to 100%.

And I will add that there is no shame in getting knocked down regardless if he was in the wrong or not, when two dudes willingly decide to throw hands it's anyone's match and both of these guys manned right up face to face

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

And I will add that there is no shame in getting knocked down regardless if he was in the wrong or not, when two dudes willingly decide to throw hands it's anyone's match and both of these guys manned right up face to face

Theres definitely shame in it. This isnt boxing or the UFC. Anytime you decide to pick a fight in baseball you create a 40 plus person fight with the dugouts clearing even if the bullpens are slow to get there which is smart for them to do so. If you want to pick a fight and put others at risk acting like a tough guy you better not get dropped on a one hitter quitter

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2023 7:42PM

https://youtu.be/RV3w4_vJ6CE

This guy's videos are sometimes funny.

ETA: he calls Ramirez the wrong name at the beginning for some reason. I'm not saying this is his best work, but this guy makes pretty entertaining breakdowns of situations. I thought it was worth sharing here.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Cant really blame him for pushing someone off the bag if the umpires and the replay who basically refuse to overturn calls like that allow it.

The umpire in question made the correct call. He ruled the runner safe. What he didn't do - and shouldn't have had to - is made a signal that the runner had been pushed off. Replay can't make a determination on pushing a runner off, can only rule on the guy's hand being off the bag, so the call got overturned. But, again, umpire correctly called him safe.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2023 5:58AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Theres definitely shame in it. This isnt boxing or the UFC. Anytime you decide to pick a fight in baseball you create a 40 plus person fight with the dugouts clearing even if the bullpens are slow to get there which is smart for them to do so. If you want to pick a fight and put others at risk acting like a tough guy you better not get dropped on a one hitter quitter

No but neither is the NHL also neither one of those guys asked for the benches to clear, that's an unwritten rule in MLB that the everyone runs out and jumps in the pile to save them.

Sure it was disruptive but they squared up one on one and threw down, as far as I'm concerned if two combatants throw punches there is no shame in losing, it happens during fisticuffs.

I don't consider myself a tough guy or a pushover, I've lost a few fights in my younger days and I'm fine with it.

• Options

@craig44 said:

If anyone watched the video I linked, the beginning shows it in slo mo.

As @perkdog said, I liked that they atleast squared up and raised their fists. Too much of fighting in pro sports is passive aggressive shoving, hold me back bs.

Neither guy really displayed good technique. Anderson gets off three punches, and he manages to miss on all three. Plus he makes key mistakes. As @craig44 said, he doesn't tuck his chin. He also doesn't use his hands to protect his chin, head area.

I guess I'll give Ramirez credit for avoiding those three punches, even though it seems more like luck. He then threw a wild, awkward haymaker. And it connected! Lol.

Anytime a baseball fight is brought up, I'd be remiss if I didn't include this legendary exchange.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to the Mariners-Angels fight from last year. Trouty was crying the night before when a pitch went over his head. Winkler actually got drilled the next day, and a melee broke out. The post-game write-up was golden, as I've alluded to Trouty's reputation as a fake tough guy in the past.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Iron Mike, it seems the shorter guy gets the best punch in. Except Robin Ventura.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

this is very true. if you get into enough scrapes, unless your last name is Marciano, you are going to end up on the wrong side every so often. And truthfully, in my experience, most fights end up on the ground eventually anyways.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:
    Cant really blame him for pushing someone off the bag if the umpires and the replay who basically refuse to overturn calls like that allow it.

The umpire in question made the correct call. He ruled the runner safe. What he didn't do - and shouldn't have had to - is made a signal that the runner had been pushed off. Replay can't make a determination on pushing a runner off, can only rule on the guy's hand being off the bag, so the call got overturned. But, again, umpire correctly called him safe.

The same thing happened in the college world series. Its one of the major reasons why replay is so flawed in baseball. Whats the point of having replay if theyre limited in what you can do and its a closed system where colleagues are making the call. I would be pushing everyone off the bag as an infielder until they stopped getting called out

• Options
    edited August 9, 2023 10:46PM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

No but neither is the NHL also neither one of those guys asked for the benches to clear, that's an unwritten rule in MLB that the everyone runs out and jumps in the pile to save them.

Sure it was disruptive but they squared up one on one and threw down, as far as I'm concerned if two combatants throw punches there is no shame in losing, it happens during fisticuffs.

I don't consider myself a tough guy or a pushover, I've lost a few fights in my younger days and I'm fine with it.

NHL fights are overwhelming discussed before they happen and you know its coming when a couple guys are on the ice at the same time. The benches clear in baseball because the offensive player is overwhelming out numbered every time. Even with the bases loaded, counting the hitter, counting the guy on deck, and counting the first and third base coach who are usually in their 50s or older, its still 9 on 7 on the field. NHL fights are almost always 6 on 6 counting the goalies and its just dumb for a fight on a power play.

Anderson should be spending a lot more time worrying about why he even deserves to be on an MLB roster than picking fights. He picked a fight with a guy on the bases knowing they had numbers on their side and got dropped leaving everyone else to finish it. Its not like he was thrown at and charged the mound, he hung his teammates out to dry when he has no business being on a roster much less the field with the season hes having

You simply cant pick a fight over nothing hitting .242 with 1 homerun while being terrible defensively.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I don’t like fighting in baseball.
    Like tennis I always thought it was a gentleman’s game.
    Penalties for fighting or throwing at hitters should be tougher.
    Hockey it’s fine.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:
    Hockey it’s fine.

Fighting in hockey has definitely been legislated out. I know some guys don't miss it, especially as in the "older" days roster spots could be taken by less skilled guys who were good fighters.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:
    Hockey it’s fine.

Fighting in hockey has definitely been legislated out. I know some guys don't miss it, especially as in the "older" days roster spots could be taken by less skilled guys who were good fighters.

Is it illegal to fight in the NHL now ?
    I thought it was still legal.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

@4for4 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:
    Hockey it’s fine.

I'd have to defer to others to answer the specifics of fighting in the NHL, but afaik things have certainly changed.

• Options

I have never understood why fighting was considered a part of the game of hockey. why did the officials always put up with it? seems like it would have been easy enough to stop: kicked out of the game, then suspensions/dock pay. I dont understand

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:
    Hockey it’s fine.

Fighting isn't legal. You get penalties for it. It's legal in the sense you don't get ejected except under certain conditions.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I have never understood why fighting was considered a part of the game of hockey. why did the officials always put up with it? seems like it would have been easy enough to stop: kicked out of the game, then suspensions/dock pay. I dont understand

Hockey has always taken pride in being tough. Take a puck to the face and lose a tooth and come back into the game when the bleeding stops type thing. They didnt even wear helmets including goalies for the longest time. People like watching fighting which is why boxing and mma exist. The Avs and the Red Wings in the 90s with everyone on the ice and Roy squaring up with other goalies at center ice was amazing.

Unfortunately the league has done nothing but make rule changes that encourage scoring and discourage being physical since then. Smaller goalie pads, smaller crease, no play zones etc. Even just mandating the visor discourages fighting. You dont really see fights in the NFL because of how dumb it is to just be punching a steel face mask, now half your face is covered in the NHL.

Other than a huge goal the loudest cheers you always hear in an NHL game are a huge hit or a fight

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Hockey has always taken pride in being tough. Take a puck to the face and lose a tooth and come back into the game when the bleeding stops type thing. They didnt even wear helmets including goalies for the longest time. People like watching fighting which is why boxing and mma exist. The Avs and the Red Wings in the 90s with everyone on the ice and Roy squaring up with other goalies at center ice was amazing.

Unfortunately the league has done nothing but make rule changes that encourage scoring and discourage being physical since then. Smaller goalie pads, smaller crease, no play zones etc. Even just mandating the visor discourages fighting. You dont really see fights in the NFL because of how dumb it is to just be punching a steel face mask, now half your face is covered in the NHL.

Other than a huge goal the loudest cheers you always hear in an NHL game are a huge hit or a fight

I fully understand the toughness aspect of the game, but actually allowing fights to happen on the ice and not suspending players just doesnt make sense to me. at all. there is no tougher game than NFL football, and the players have all the bravado to go along with that persona, but fights on the field are not common and suspensions happen as a result.

it really just has always seemed silly to me, watching hockey players literally fight on the ice.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

I fully understand the toughness aspect of the game, but actually allowing fights to happen on the ice and not suspending players just doesnt make sense to me. at all. there is no tougher game than NFL football, and the players have all the bravado to go along with that persona, but fights on the field are not common and suspensions happen as a result.

it really just has always seemed silly to me, watching hockey players literally fight on the ice.

It was part of the game, the way I grew up with it. It was to be expected. Part of the draw, especially at a minor league level I'm sure.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Ever seen the movie Slapshot? It pretty much is based off a lot of truth. No one went to the games then the Hansen brothers came in and turned it into a good fest with a lot of fighting and hard hits and tickets started selling like crazy.

Fighting and hits sells tickets. For the longest time the NHL took a lot of pride in it then in the last couple decades they decided they want less violence and more scoring. They also though a team in Atlanta and Phoenix was a good idea so theres also that.

The NFL has fights all the time at the bottom of piles. Its not as bad as it used to be and probably worse in college but theres still a lot of trying to break fingers and eye gouging etc. Theres a reason why clear visors got popular for so long. They dont have actual fist fights because its just dumb. Youre either punching pads or a helmet and a steel face mask. Might as well go punch the railing in the stands.

The NHL actually does it or did do it right. Theres an issue guys square up and its generally over with. You dont have guys trying to take you out at the knees or throwing at each other all year, its settled