Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing, this joker on eBay is selling Philly coins stating error, no mint mark!!

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this eBay seller out, he/she has many coins listed as error coins for no mint mark at high prices! I hope that people are'nt falling for this...

"It is a circulated coin that bears the image of George Washington, and it is perfect for collectors of rare coins and errors."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385707950380?hash=item59cdfc412c:g:kCgAAOSwTd1kl4O3

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them a message offering to sell them some No MM coins for $100 each, stating that it will leave them plenty of markup. Say you're selling them cheap because you need to raise cash fast.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is he trying to sell a 1982 dime without the P mintmark? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    Send them a message offering to sell them some No MM coins for $100 each, stating that it will leave them plenty of markup. Say you're selling them cheap because you need to raise cash fast.

I just did. However, I think he needs an operation himself to remove his head from his backside.

• Options

I love this one, the rare 1917 Lincoln no MM, only $1000, get it before it's gone... better, let me check, I may have a couple...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385753744158?hash=item59d0b7031e:g:0-QAAOSwvv1krur4

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

just another way to part suckers with their cash and it will work too that is the bad thing

coins for sale at link below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yGharuQgUMTSUKav7

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also possible he doesn't know any better.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Isn't not knowing any better but still asking ridiculous prices just as bad? That indicates that this person didn't even do the most basic amount of research into what they have but arbitrarily decided that it must be this valuable.
    It really doesn't matter though, anyone spending that type of money on coins will know what they are looking at.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 8:29AM

I tried to inform a few sellers when this fad of “no mint mark” took off. I quickly realized 99% of them seem to be ignorant of all things numismatic and extremely high on hopeium. Monkey see monkey do.
    I offered to sell a few of them “no mint mark coins” at half their listed price to boost their profits. No one took the offer :D

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 8:48AM

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Isn't not knowing any better but still asking ridiculous prices just as bad? That indicates that this person didn't even do the most basic amount of research into what they have but arbitrarily decided that it must be this valuable.
    It really doesn't matter though, anyone spending that type of money on coins will know what they are looking at.

Perhaps, not knowing is just as bad (edited to add: though I don’t think it is). But either way, if we’re going to accuse someone of something, let’s be open to the possible options available.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

He has many listings, I can't believe that he doesn't know...

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Ignorance is in a very different category from intentional malfeasance. Many people fall prey to the clickbait "articles" and think they learned something when they were largely mislead. We see them show up here with "no S" coins all the time as well as all the parking lot errors.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Perhaps, not knowing is just as bad. But either way, if we’re going to accuse someone of something, let’s be open to the possible options available.😉

I don't think "not knowing" is as bad as intentionally trying to take advantage of people.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not limited to ebay, just this past week here on the BST a seller was attempting to sell proof 60's nickels as valuable FS business strike coins. The misinformation (or greed) about coins is growing each day, just sad.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2023 8:47AM

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Perhaps, not knowing is just as bad. But either way, if we’re going to accuse someone of something, let’s be open to the possible options available.😉

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

From the detailed description, he knows a lot about coins to not know that the 1965 Washington (all) have no mint mark. And this coin has nothing "Proof" like. Asking $2000.00

This is a rare and unique Washington Quarter that will make a great addition to any coin collection. It is a 25C coin made of copper and has a proof-like strike type. The coin has an error that makes it even more special and valuable, and it has not been graded or certified. The coin was minted in the United States but has no mint location specified. It is a circulated coin that bears the image of George Washington, and it is perfect for collectors of rare coins and errors.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

He has many listings, I can't believe that he doesn't know...

I can. Most modern coins have mint marks. There are plenty of click bait articles telling people about the "fortune in your pocket" that may tell them to look for a 1982 no P dime or something similar. And people think that all no mint mark coins are errors. It's similar to people that think all damage on a coin is an "error".

We've had people come here numerous times with a "no S" MS coin thinking it is the proof.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't think "not knowing" is as bad as intentionally trying to take advantage of people.

I agree.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@jmlanzaf ,
    You know that I respect you and your opinion. This guy has many Lincoln cents listed with no mint-mark and we know that only the 2017 has a P mint mark...

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

From the detailed description, he knows a lot about coins to not know that the 1965 Washington (all) have no mint mark. And this coin has nothing "Proof" like. Asking $2000.00

This is a rare and unique Washington Quarter that will make a great addition to any coin collection. It is a 25C coin made of copper and has a proof-like strike type. The coin has an error that makes it even more special and valuable, and it has not been graded or certified. The coin was minted in the United States but has no mint location specified. It is a circulated coin that bears the image of George Washington, and it is perfect for collectors of rare coins and errors.

His lot description sounds like it was written by AI.

• Options

If I were a betting man, I would guess this is a kid or perhaps a woman. Look on their Ebay page at the products they have purchased from previous sellers. They buy gadgets, tools, electronics, women's products...etc Just a thought.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @jmlanzaf ,
    You know that I respect you and your opinion. This guy has many Lincoln cents listed with no mint-mark and we know that only the 2017 has a P mint mark...

Obviously, I can't know. But never underestimate the innocent ignorance of people. What seems "well known" to coin people is completely foreign to others.

Just the other day, someone brought in a "gold" Washington dollar. They were shocked to learn that it wasn't gold and that it was made in 2007. They thought it was 200 year old gold.

Every coin shop owner can tell you how many times they get asked about Susan B dollars or Sacs or Presidents, "silver pennies", and the like.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Joe_360 said:
    @jmlanzaf ,

Obviously, I can't know. But never underestimate the innocent ignorance of people. What seems "well known" to coin people is completely foreign to others.

Just the other day, someone brought in a "gold" Washington dollar. They were shocked to learn that it wasn't gold and that it was made in 2007. They thought it was 200 year old gold.

Every coin shop owner can tell you how many times they get asked about Susan B dollars or Sacs or Presidents, "silver pennies", and the like.

When I receive coin inquiries from people who appear to be clueless, I try to remember what it was like for me before I started learning, and I go from there.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

Allow me to explain my stance on this... the only effort put forth in cases where someone doesn't know any better yet still lists something for an exorbitant amount is effort into making money. If the same effort was put forth into actually knowing what they are selling the listings would not exist. I see this as willingness to remain ignorant in the name of profit.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

Allow me to explain my stance on this... the only effort put forth in cases where someone doesn't know any better yet still lists something for an exorbitant amount is effort into making money. If the same effort was put forth into actually knowing what they are selling the listings would not exist. I see this as willingness to remain ignorant in the name of profit.

I fully agree and certainly don’t excuse it. I just don’t think it’s as bad as knowingly/intentionally trying to rip someone off. That said, it’s possible that someone could still suffer that fate.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a common misperception on ebay

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

and it's funny, at $1500 for a heavily circulated quarter, they still want $5.15 for shipping....

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 12:04PM

@AUandAG said:
    That is a common misperception on ebay

That is an understatement, to boot. I dare you’ns to count them, you will stop before a hundred.
    Search the terms “no mint mark”. Now search “DDO”. Now search “error coin”.

Don’t count them, move the vertical scroll bar; you don’t reach the end.
    Astrophysicists would compare the effect to the Webb telescope.
    It’s an open sewer in a slum.

Welcome to my purchase point. You can find a no mint mark for a dollar if you’re looking.

Some hawkers offer all-in-one.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

2000 dollars is a great price for a plain quarter made in philedelphia what a loon

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    and it's funny, at $1500 for a heavily circulated quarter, they still want $5.15 for shipping....

I have to admit that always makes me chuckle. But people tend to have default settings for such things.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

I fully agree and certainly don’t excuse it. I just don’t think it’s as bad as knowingly/intentionally trying to rip someone off. That said, it’s possible that someone could still suffer that fate.

If it is innocent ignorance, why would they feel the need to put in more effort when they think they understand? If someone spends hours trying to disprove what they "know" to be "true", they have a psychological disorder.

How many clocks do you consult in the morning before you're sure you have the right time?

• Options
    edited August 5, 2023 5:09PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

If it is innocent ignorance, why would they feel the need to put in more effort when they think they understand? If someone spends hours trying to disprove what they "know" to be "true", they have a psychological disorder.

How many clocks do you consult in the morning before you're sure you have the right time?

Even if it’s “innocent ignorance”, there’s a very good chance that’s the result of laziness and/or haste and/or sloppiness. And it wouldn’t take hours to disprove what they “know” to be “true”.

By the way, I don’t typically consult any clocks in the morning to be sure I have the right time.😉

• Options
    edited August 5, 2023 5:11PM

.> @jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

Even if it’s “innocent ignorance”, there’s a very good chance that’s the result of laziness and/or haste and/or sloppiness. And it wouldn’t take hours to disprove what they “know” to be “true”.

By the way, I don’t typically consult any clocks in the morning to be sure I have the right time.😉

• Options

Even if it’s “innocent ignorance”, that’s likely due to laziness and/or haste and/or sloppiness. And it wouldn’t take hours to disprove what they “know” to be “true”.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

No fewer than three, unless it's a Monday then I prefer five. ;)

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 10:40PM

@Joe_360 said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm curious as to what about this description makes you think the seller knows anything more about coins than he could learn in 30 seconds browsing Etsy.

Come to think of it, why does the OP think that the coin was minted in Philadelphia?

• Options

@daltex said:

@Joe_360 said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm curious as to what about this description makes you think the seller knows anything more about coins than he could learn in 30 seconds browsing Etsy.

As someone else said, it sounds like what the AI generates based on the title.

• Options

@MFeld said:

Even if it’s “innocent ignorance”, that’s likely due to laziness and/or haste and/or sloppiness. And it wouldn’t take hours to disprove what they “know” to be “true”.

I agree: laziness or haste or sloppiness. But that's really not unethical behavior, unlike someone intentionally misrepresenting a coin. And it might take hours to disprove for someone not skilled at doing research. You'd be surprised how long it takes my students to find a piece of information that takes me seconds to find on the internet.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

I agree: laziness or haste or sloppiness. But that's really not unethical behavior, unlike someone intentionally misrepresenting a coin. And it might take hours to disprove for someone not skilled at doing research. You'd be surprised how long it takes my students to find a piece of information that takes me seconds to find on the internet.

I'm not convinced this seller doesn't know exactly what his coins are actually worth and I'm not ready to give him the benefit of the doubt. I've seen too many eBay scammers to just assume it's "laziness or haste or sloppiness."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@daltex
    I tell you what, why don't you buy and let us know that it wasn't... You'll be famous.

Come to think of it, why does the OP think that the coin was minted in Philadelphia?

• Options

Wow, the deal gets even better!!

Was $2,000.00 now $1,200.00–come and save on mint error coins us coins.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree: laziness or haste or sloppiness. But that's really not unethical behavior, unlike someone >intentionally misrepresenting [snip].

Innocent or not, that much greed is a deadly sin, that much ignorance is, as we see demonstrated, is a spectacle.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2023 8:25AM

Talk about beelzebub and, by cracky, he shows up—

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    @daltex
    I tell you what, why don't you buy and let us know that it wasn't... You'll be famous.

Well, I do know that all coins dated 1965, 1966, and 1967 were struck without mintmark, regardless of mint. If there are diagnostics to show that a quarter was struck in, say, Denver, I'm not familiar. But I know this is a common coin in a common grade. Not even worth the shipping.

• Options

@daltex
    Denver did not start minting quarters after 1964 until 1968, so no mint mark on any of those years as minted in Philly.

• Options

@Fraz
    Can you clarify your last post please?

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    @Fraz
    Can you clarify your last post please?

Look at the "likes"

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@ChrisH821 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I agree.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the borderline "both sides" arguments here make me puke. I reported their items. Yes, people should be educated on what to bid on. That also goes for sellers, there is no excuse for crap listings like this with all the information readily available out there. Laziness? You bet. Excusable? Hell no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file