Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where's the love for Vintage Hockey? (Opening Night 2023/24 The Official Vintage Hockey Thread)

mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 10, 2023 2:41PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I know baseball is in full swing and summer camps are opening for the NFL. Hockey seems to be the forgotten or unloved sport as I poke around this forum(Even in season). Hopefully there's a few hockey lovers out there. Anyone willing to revive the sport as a reminder it still exists as we head into the dog days of summer.

I'll gladly start it off...

Mark

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭

That Orr is a beauty! What makes it a 2?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:

I was thinking the same thing. That's a pretty solid looking 2.

Mark

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    I'm not a hockey guy at all. (I had to look up this player to see if he was somebody.)
    My 1 and only hockey sub from Feb special.
    Really thought it could be a 9.

Oh yeah, Bobby Clarke is a somebody.

Mark

• Options
    jp84jp84 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I will third that question on the Bobby Orr. Someone must have been crushed when that came back a 2 unless the back is messed up.

• Options

@jp84 said:

I will third that question on the Bobby Orr. Someone must have been crushed when that came back a 2 unless the back is messed up.

Love it! The Howe name is king here in Detroit. New bridge between Detroit and Windsor Ontario will carry Gordie's name as well as traffic.

Mark

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mark_dak said:

@RonSportscards said:
    I'm not a hockey guy at all. (I had to look up this player to see if he was somebody.)

Mark

"Uncle" Bobby
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/player-sets/bobby-clarke-master-set/alltimeset/45374

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Bucyk is ridiculous!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:

@mark_dak said:

@RonSportscards said:

Mark

"Uncle" Bobby
    https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/player-sets/bobby-clarke-master-set/alltimeset/45374

I knew you had a Clarke master set but didn’t realize you were #1. Awesome stuff!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@clarke442 said:

@mark_dak said:

@RonSportscards said:

Mark

"Uncle" Bobby

I'd go out of my way to make sure I caught the Flyers of that era down at the Olympia to watch the "Bullies". It was a dirty old barn but loaded with history and memories.

Mark

• Options

Hockey rules.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    My very small collection of 1964-65 Topps tall boy cards:

hey BaltimoreYankee,
    Oh Yeah on your Tall-boys...Those are Pretty Cool Lookin'... B)

• Options

@Bosox1976 said:

hey Bosox1976,
    Very Nice... :)

• Options

Who has some unopened 80s hockey to show off?

Has anyone ever seen the cases that OPC and Topps boxes came in from the 80s?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

Thanks. The tape stain on the back is the biggest reason.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

No vintage to speak of in my PC, but 99% of my cards are hockey thanks in large part to my Patrick Roy PC. Over 2,500 individual cards from his playing career, with around 4,500 total cards. I've slowly started rebuilding a graded HOF collection 1980-present.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

@statfreak77 said:
    Who has some unopened 80s hockey to show off?

Has anyone ever seen the cases that OPC and Topps boxes came in from the 80s?

86-87 O-Pee-Chee I purchased off a Teletrade auction. For those that may remember you were bidding over the telephone. At least I had gotten past rotary dial by then!

Mark

• Options
    edited July 28, 2023 4:12PM

@Bosox1976 said:

I'd have bet the farm you'd come up with some gems. Nice group of Bobby Orr cards.

Mark

• Options

@coinspacks said:

hey coinspacks,
    I like your rack...Oh Yeah...Pretty Cool... B)

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    A few from my “to be graded when prices make sense for a Canadian” pile.

Most of what I own is vintage Baseball, football and hockey not slabbed. They are either originally mine or hand cherry picked when sharp, clean cards could be picked up for a song(HOF'ers included). I do kick myself for missing the "slab train" when it was cheap and a 9 or 10 was slabbed as a 9 or 10 without considering how it would affect the high end market.

I may eventually send some in also IF grade pricing ever comes down to earth.

Mark

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear ya Mark, I had a stack of 200 or so cards, mix of OPC BB and HKY, ready to go to PSA pre pandemic and never pulled the trigger.

But who really cares. I’m a collector, almost never sell - although I should. And while I’d like these cards in slabs, there is no better way to view and appreciate a card then through a new CS1. That is a fact.

• Options

@coinspacks said:
    1981-82-OPChkyrackpack

Is this bad boy for sale by chance?

• Options

@mark_dak said:
    One of my favorites as a kid. Just pocket change at a local show this morning for this one. As clean, sharp and centered as these usually come... front and back.

Mark

hey mark_dak ,
    Cool lookin' card... B)

• Options

@georgebailey2 said:
    I have been a Flyers fan since the age of seven. You could imagine my excitement in the fall of 1974, a few months after their Cup win over the Bruins, when a local supermarket chain, Acme, began distributing the US version of Loblaws NHL Action Stamps.

I have never been so excited to go grocery shopping, either before or since. I, like dozens of boys in my grade at school, couldn't wait to see if one of the strips of eight stamps brought home by our mothers contained missing stamps.

Of course, most, if not all, of these booklets were put together by elementary school aged children, mine included (which I seem to be having some trouble locating).

Consequently, I have been searching for unused stamps and booklets for several years now.

There are 324 stamps. 40 different strips/packets of 8, plus 4 stamps that only came in the bottom row of a sheet of twenty that was at the back of the book. Apparently, there were also some replacement stamps issued for trades, etc, about 46. Those appear to be very rare. I have no idea how those were distributed (one would guess 6 strips or 48, if they came in the strips). As a kid, I don't recall anyone in King of Prussia ever having any of them. During my search, I have not seen a single strip/packet.

Last year I finished getting the 40 8 stamp strips/packets, along with 2 of the 4 single printed stamps.

A couple weeks ago, I lucked out and found an unused book. Well, actually, three unused books, two which had the full sheet inside. Also, it came with a bunch of stamps, including a full set sorted by teams in baggies.

My plan, after getting some philatelic advice, is to get stamp mounts and use the detached and sorted set in the empty album that already had the stamp page removed as my recreation of childhood.

Then, I would still have a set with an unused album and 40 unopened strips/packets.

Then I may try to finish off a second set of unopened strips to go with the 2nd complete album and sell that.

hey georgebailey2 ,
    Pretty Neat story there... :)
    Your sticker album/booklet is Phenomenal....Yeah that's Cool...

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2023 9:42AM

FYI, these stamps had no glue. Consequently, kids either used glue or tape to put their stamps in the book. So, you can imagine what most of the completed books look like.

Comparatively, completed Topps/OPC or Panini booklets from the 80s forward found on Ebay are relatively neatly put together.

For any philatelic people, or those that may have done something similar with the Sunoco football, please feel free to chime in on whether my display idea is a good one or any other opinion. Thanks.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Very nice cards. Eddie the Eagle was never drafted and made the hall of fame.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MinorLeaguer said:
    Not sure if vintage enough for you but some stuff u don’t see everyday

hey MinorLeaguer ,
    Oh Wow !!! Very Impressive... B)

If he had the Orr Crown Royal Oshawa card in PSA 8 then no one could match his ML hockey cards.
    I believe there are Beliveau and Plante ML cards also.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    My OPC Clarke run is almost complete. I need a centered 1977 copy. I have a few raw examples but not sure they’ll grade as high as I want them to. A few need upgrades. But I’m pretty happy with it so far.

Key criterion was centering. (And I can’t get them to behave for long enough to show up in year order.)

Oh Yeah...Those are Pretty Cool... :)

• Options

@MinorLeaguer said:
    Not sure if vintage enough for you but some stuff u don’t see everyday

Love them. We got to enjoy a bunch of those guys here in Detroit. Watching players like Ciccarelli and Fetisov (Among others) every day, you gain a real appreciation for their game.

Thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    My OPC Clarke run is almost complete. I need a centered 1977 copy. I have a few raw examples but not sure they’ll grade as high as I want them to. A few need upgrades. But I’m pretty happy with it so far.

Key criterion was centering. (And I can’t get them to behave for long enough to show up in year order.)

Let me guess where you grew up. Amazing group of Clarkes. Only collect OPC? Used to go out of my way to catch the Flyers of this era down at Olympia!

Thanks for sharing those.

Mark