Home Precious Metals
Options

Selling gold scrap best companies?

SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
edited July 7, 2023 9:43AM in Precious Metals

Anybody sell gold scrap? Who do you sell too? Online companies better than local shops?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy, but it looks like your sig line suggests you only accept it and silver, as payment. Wanna trade ?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used Midwest refineries in the past. I thought they paid fairly and quick to send a check.
    I have a local buyer now that makes it even easier, I suppose you depending on where you live, you can compare the two options.
    https://midwestrefineries.com/

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I've used Midwest refineries in the past. I thought they paid fairly and quick to send a check.
    I have a local buyer now that makes it even easier, I suppose you depending on where you live, you can compare the two options.
    https://midwestrefineries.com/

I've used then about a decade ago. No problems.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scrap gold?? Not sure what that is... Like 'leftover wine'... Never had that problem either. :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2023 12:58PM

@ricko said:
    Scrap gold?? Not sure what that is... Like 'leftover wine'... Never had that problem either. :D;) Cheers, RickO

One time my mother told me how happy she was with what she got selling "broken" earrings and such back to a local jewelry store. Probably got 50% of spot.

Years ago I had sold a couple times to a company called ARA (American Recycling Associates, IIRC) out of Dallas. They (now called ARA Gold) no longer deal directly with the public. Simply mailed some gold necklaces to them and received a check in the mail a week or two later. They paid very close to what I expected (based on their payment table - which was in the high 90% range). I have no idea whether what I sent (maybe a couple oz total weight) was individually assayed and melted, or refined as part of a larger batch.

But I would definitely trust one of these refinery operations like Midwest or Gold Refinery of San Diego to get just about as good a price as possible.

• Options

Thanks guys!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy as .... but what's with your 14k ? Did you have some 10 karat in there ?

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Easy as .... but what's with your 14k ? Did you have some 10 karat in there ?

Possibly. A couple of pieces were questionable. I had a small piece that I thought was plated.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 95% payable for the weight you sent in.