Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How often does PSA update vintage prices in the price guides?

I collect mainly vintage (1910-1960) PSA graded hockey cards. I've noticed that the prices in the last few years have increased significantly. Several years ago, I used to be able to bid at 110-120% of book value and get the items. Now, I'm seeing auctions regularly fetch 150-200% of book value. This is especially true of pre-WWII cards.

However, the PSA price guide hasn't moved on these items in years. Does PSA ever change vintage card values very often on other sports? I know vintage hockey is kind of a niche area. Still, it would be nice to see the price guides updated at leave every few years.

Comments

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭

I think they update it about once every 10 years!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Subscribe to VCP - I finally did and wish I had a long time ago.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭

I've also been a VCP subscriber for about 8 years now and it's certainly informative and worth it.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Printed price guides have been irrelevant and worthless for years.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

I disagree, I think it's a good resource, I agree that strictly on pricing they are way off.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

I disagree, I think it's a good resource, I agree that strictly on pricing they are way off.

That’s what I meant. The pricing.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 416 ✭✭✭

Where do you find pricing history going back 20 years online?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@Cakes said:

@DBesse27 said:

That’s what I meant. The pricing.

I need something else to read at the Beach besides Fantasy Football Mags! >:)

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this come up regularly and I must be missing something. Why do we need an old school price guide when PSA publishes all sales for PSA graded cards online. If I want to know what a PSA Stevie Y rooks are selling for:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/hockey-cards/1984-o-pee-chee/steve-yzerman/values/323739

That is essentially your price guide.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I see this come up regularly and I must be missing something. Why do we need an old school price guide when PSA publishes all sales for PSA graded cards online. If I want to know what a PSA Stevie Y rooks are selling for:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/hockey-cards/1984-o-pee-chee/steve-yzerman/values/323739

That is essentially your price guide.

I guess that's my point. I can see that in the auction prices that certain cards or sets are regularly selling for 2x (sometimes 3x) book value. If you maintain a 'price guide' as a part of your website shouldn't that guide somewhat reflect what the market is actually doing? Or are the values in the price guide just some numbers someone came up with years ago that don't reflect any current reality?

• Options

Thanks for all of the comments!

I did try VSP and that was indeed a very good suggestion. I would subscribe to their monthly plan but I'm not that active of a buyer to justify the expense. I buy mainly rarely traded pre-WWII hockey cards. It was funny to see how many of the latest prices on my cards were the ones that I bought a couple of years ago.

The PSA (and maybe VSP?) doesn't seem to record auctions from PWCC marketplace. Is that an attempt by PSA to ignore that PWCC has become a fairly viable alternative. (Still not sold on PWCC overall but they do have some good cards.)