Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have You Ever "Drastically Changed" The Appearance Of A Coin, Submitted It................

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

................and it came back straight graded? Would like to see examples if you have any.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

No but I have NOT drastically changed the appearance of what I thought was a unaltered coin and got a details cleaned grade …
    I guess that doesn’t count … :neutral:

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have pics but I have dipped coins and successfully upgraded them.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    Yep. I took a dipped/cleaned white silver coin, put it in a 1960s proof set envelope, and hung it in my Florida garage with a clothes pin for a few months, checking on it about once per month. It toned over with yellows/browns. It graded problem free MS63 with variety attribution and I auctioned it. The coin was a cherrypick at a show and I owned a higher graded example. I don’t have pics of that one or they might be buried on one of several external hard drives. It was about 10-11 years ago and no True View was taken.

If you should come across the pics, let us know.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 27, 2023 6:57PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    I don’t have pics but I have dipped coins and successfully upgraded them.

If one gets the method down on exactly how to dip a coin, it can be very successful.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    I’ve cracked a lot of mint state silver coins out of holders, used MS70/Qtip on the coin, rinsed thoroughly, dried and submitted coins to PCGS and had them straight grade. But I wouldn’t classify this as dramatic, just a normal bath to remove surface grime holding back the luster.

Agreed.

I have one I'll post (after I find the pictures), that I believe would classify as dramatic. It was a Lincoln cent treated with VERDI-CARE. Some folks didn't believe it was the same coin.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I don’t play with coins.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some may need a dip….before sending in.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2023 2:48AM

I have MS70'd thousands of mint set coins. I heard PCGS frowns on this but I have never had a reject. Mint set coins from the late 60's have a haze; there is no arguing it, it is a negative. I MS70 them, acetone, water twice and dap the water off, air dry. It will take a coin that will MS64 to MS67 but the coin needs to have it to begin with. I once MS70'd. acetone, distilled water a Saint and got a bump, from ms 65 to MS66+ and CAC. It is ballsy on a $10K coin. I think it is only proper if there are plastic chemicals that create a haze. I personally don't "dip" coins.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I had a dealer and good friend tell me that he hated to dip coins but some coins just can't be sold due to ugly toning and he can't stay in business if he does sell coins. I believe it.

:'(

• Options
    edited June 28, 2023 6:03AM

Yes, I should have added a disclaimer: "DO NOT MESS (CLEAN OR DIP) ANY COINS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE DOING"

• Options

@rhedden said:
    Perhaps the easiest way to say "yes" to this thread without looking like a bad guy is to take a Details coin with PVC residue on its surfaces, rinse it with acetone, and get a straight grade. I would wager that a bunch of people on this forum have succeeded in doing so.

Yes, those are the pictures I'd like to see.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:
    Perhaps the easiest way to say "yes" to this thread without looking like a bad guy is to take a Details coin with PVC residue on its surfaces, rinse it with acetone, and get a straight grade. I would wager that a bunch of people on this forum have succeeded in doing so.

How about using Blue Ribbon on early copper?
    :)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldeTowneCoinShoppe said:
    Many years ago, I bought sight-seen, an 1879-CC dollar in an old ANACS holder graded MS-60 details / altered surface. In the holder, I could not see anything obvious wrong with it except for faint haze. I cracked it out and gave it several careful acetone rinses. Some sort of curious residue came off the coin, allowing pristine semi-prooflike fields to emerge. Off to PCGS and the coin came back to me graded MS-64! At the time, this was one of my biggest success stories as I made something crazy like $6000 profit upon resale.

It sounds like it may have been puttied to hide some hairlines.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2023 1:58PM

Yes. Had to do some digging for past submissions. In 2010 I purchased 2 3 legged Buffalo nickels. They were in vinyl flips and coated in a green goo. I put them in acetone for over a month before submitting.
    No pics except this screenshot.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine that the people aiming for "lowball" grade sets do this all the time, just by pocket-piecing their coins. Of course, they're trying to dis-improve a coin's appearance and attain a lower grade than it had before, but it still counts under the OP's criteria of "drastic changes".

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here's the coin. Some folks didn't believe it was the same coin. Hard to believe it wasn't, with that clip. I guess I can thank VERDI-CARE for these results. Keep in mind, I never would have attempted this with a high value coin.

Dang! How the heck? Please do tell, at least with the finger prints. I have a 26-S gem lincoln but has a print. it is a 62BN but it is an early strike and should be a 64RB.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here's the coin. Some folks didn't believe it was the same coin. Hard to believe it wasn't, with that clip. I guess I can thank VERDI-CARE for these results. Keep in mind, I never would have attempted this with a high value coin.

Dang! How the heck? Please do tell, at least with the finger prints. I have a 26-S gem lincoln but has a print. it is a 62BN but it is an early strike and should be a 64RB.

What do you want to know?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

I should have dipped this one but I was scared of messing with the surfaces.
    Graded 65, too late to dip and send back for just a 66 unless you think it might go higher :/

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Everything - you can PM if you would like. I have these BB mint rare lincolns that people stored in oil and they just need some help. I am OK with a BN but to not alter the chemical copper and remove the - I would say - diesel would be awesome. I have a bomb struck 14-D full on MS but it was stored in oil.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 8:02PM

@Coinscratch said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Graded 65, too late to dip and send back for just a 66 unless you think it might go higher :/

Why would you dip that - it is fine. I would acetone it but do not dip it.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 8:08PM

@Clackamas1 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Why would you dip that - it is fine. I would acetone it but do not dip it.

Well yeah that’s the kind of dip I meant. I was afraid of even acetone as I’ve had that dull coins as well. I assumed the green sludge and not the hits in the left field brought it down the most.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Everything - you can PM if you would like. I have these BB mint rare lincolns that people stored in oil and they just need some help. I am OK with a BN but to not alter the chemical copper and remove the - I would say - diesel would be awesome. I have a bomb struck 14-D full on MS but it was stored in oil.

You can ask me here or just start a new thread with the question about your Lincoln's. What's a BB mint?

• Options

@Coinscratch- What's that green stuff on your Kennedy? Is it baked into the surface?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Coinscratch- What's that green stuff on your Kennedy? Is it baked into the surface?

I don’t know like I said I didn’t mess with it I was scared I would make it worse. It came straight out of a 64 mint set.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I don’t know like I said I didn’t mess with it I was scared I would make it worse. It came straight out of a 64 mint set.

Oh okay, I misunderstood. Weird how it came out of a mint set like that. Although, I've seen fingerprints on mint and proof sets.

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

I have these BB mint rare lincolns that people stored in oil and they just need some help.

What's a BB mint?

• Options

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

What's a BB mint?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first pocket coin from my childhood.
    Had this at about 9 years old, somehow never lost it...except for the time I misplaced it for about 40 years lol.

Rediscovered it a few years ago and sent it for grading about 2 years ago purely for sentimental reasons.
    I'm absolutely positive that at some point it was in my Mama's nail polish remover. Probably more than once lol. It's pink-ish. Straight graded :p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited July 25, 2023 12:06PM

@Kurisu- You mention 9 years old. I can remember using a pencil eraser to clean coins once or twice at that age! 😫 :D

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2023 6:51AM

@OAKSTAR said:

So @OAKSTAR I don't need to tell you that this is an amazing job! BUT... this is an amazing job. I mess with worthless copper coins all the time to work on restoring them. Sometimes I try to strip and recolor them. I am not very good at it, but I have been improving.

I would like to better understand your process with Verdicare. How long did you leave it in the solution? How did you dilute? How did you rinse and dry?

Copper is so easy to ruin when you mess with it, and (while I do see a little pink) yours looks very nice!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

Thanks @NeophyteNumismatist!

Between you and me, I got lucky. I'm not an expert. I've practiced with low value circulated copper and dipping junk silver (mostly 40% & 90% Kennedy's) I've found CRH'ing. It's hard to explain in writing. I guess you know which ones (silver) to dip in eZest and which copper gets Verdicare when you see it. Coins that don't have corrosion or etching into the surface of the coin. No coins that have milk or carbon spots.

At first glance, this 46 clipped Lincoln was questionable. I looked at it real close. I gave it an acetone bath first. While submerged in a plastic cup, I gently "very gently" rubbed a Q-tip over the surface of the coin. Many of those spots, fingerprints, crud, (whatever it was) seem to disappear. I took it out of the acetone dab/pat dried it on a soft, clean, cotton cloth.

I then saturated the tip of another Q-tip from the Verdicare bottle. On a soft cotton cloth, I again very gently coated and rubbed the Verdicare onto and into the surface of both sides of the coin. I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and repeated it again. Then I just dabbed and patted it dry again with a cotton cloth. That's pretty much it.

I've has this tiny bottle for about 10 years. I use it very sparingly!

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR thank you very much.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file