Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It Appears The CAC Website Has Had A Major Overhaul

TomBTomB Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 6, 2023 10:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My apologies if this thread topic appears too far off-base, but I checked the forum guidelines in the sticky-post at the top of the page and it looks to fall well within the parameters of what is allowed.

We all, or at least most of us, are familiar with CAC and what is happening with the CAC business plan and it looks like the next step in the plan has been given the green light (no pun intended) with a major change in the CAC website. The site is far more sleek and modern feeling now, but my previous bookmark for the CAC forums did not work and I had to access the forum through the new CAC website. My username and password still logged me in and the CAC forum still feels a bit 1990s Alta Vista or Netscape-esque, but it is what it is.

I've posted this thread here so that folks who only occasionally go over there to check things out might have a heads-up.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does their new web site have a BST? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

CAC also overhauled their sticker pricing, forms, and procedures.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

No

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

An email was sent out yesterday addressing submission and portal changes.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Clean and fresh looking.

peacockcoins

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I... might ... like it ...IF ... the URL worked.
    No images, login denial, confusling site.

:s

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2023 4:38AM

I wish it had been done a long time ago but it's not easy to run these forums. Cac has been about high end coins more than the academic field of numismatics which is what many primarily enjoy. Also the fact that they only reviewed coins from the top tier companies, NGC and PCGS but not Anacs, etc.. 95% of coin collectors are not rich and the hobby is greatly enriched by them when they enjoy the hobby not use it as a means to an end.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    It should have been done a long time ago and the fact that it wasn't is indicative of the fact that they have been 99% a commercial entity more interested in making money with high end coins than the academic field of numismatics which is what I primarily enjoy. Also the fact that they only reviewed coins from the top tier companies. 95% of coin collectors are not rich and the hobby is greatly enriched by them when they enjoy the hobby not use it as a means to an end.

What you claim is "indicative of the fact that they have been 99% a commercial entity more interested in making money with high end coins than the academic field of numismatics..." is actually indicative of your opinion. And many disagree with it. Additionally, they didn't only review coins from "the top tier companies". That's utter bologna.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked the pricing listings for several pre-1933 gold coins in MS64-MS66 and was very surprised, Significant reductions, all those I checked were at 20% or extremely close. Examples:

1911 $10 MS65 - Previously $10,000, now $8,000
    1926 $10 MS64 - Previously $2,440, now #1,950
    1902-S $10 MS65 - Previously $5,380, now $4,300
    1926 $2.50 MS65 - Previously $3,250, now $2,600
    1909-D $5 MS64 - Previously $3,060, now $2,450
    1898-S $20 MS64 - Previously $4,500, now $3,600
    1922 $1 Grant commem. with star MS66 - Previously $3,090, now $2,473

Wish I had recorded more of the previous price guide figures, these are just a few I happened to have written down to use as a guide when viewing coins for sale online.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like caccoin.com now redirects to cacgrading.com
    Other than a fancy new banner I think the site looks much the same, although I don't go there much beyond occasional cert lookup.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2023 9:47AM

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    It should have been done a long time ago and the fact that it wasn't is indicative of the fact that they have been 99% a commercial entity more interested in making money with high end coins than the academic field of numismatics which is what I primarily enjoy. Also the fact that they only reviewed coins from the top tier companies. 95% of coin collectors are not rich and the hobby is greatly enriched by them when they enjoy the hobby not use it as a means to an end.

What you claim is "indicative of the fact that they have been 99% a commercial entity more interested in making money with high end coins than the academic field of numismatics..." is actually indicative of your opinion. And many disagree with it. Additionally, they didn't only review coins from "the top tier companies". That's utter bologna.

You're response is too kind.

Not only did they review coins from average folks, they did it FOR FREE. Dealers paid, collectors only paid if awarded a sticker. What other commercial entity offered an expert opinion for FREE?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@PerryHall said:

No

The correct answer is "Not yet." ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:

You're response is too kind.

Not only did they review coins from average folks, they did it FOR FREE. Dealers paid, collectors only paid if awarded a sticker. What other commercial entity offered an expert opinion for FREE?

Clearly they were losing money with some submissions but making up for that with reviewing the high end coins and making a market in them probably to the tune of a billion or more, that's the way businesses operate. Stock brokerages service all their clients but make the most with those who trust them with the highest value portfolios. As others have pointed out repeatedly this is not a philanthropic or charitable endeavor. But they never reviewed Anacs coins, that was my point on the top tier companies (NGC and PCGS). PCGS does and has had quarterly specials on crossovers that I'd like to see again.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2023 3:38PM

It looks like the blog got nerfed. Ok never mind found it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

the CAC forum still feels a bit 1990s Alta Vista or...
    >

LOL I used to work at Alta Vista in the 90's :)

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2023 6:59PM

Seems I can't log in, I believe I had/have an account, could be wrong about that. But, there is no tab to join!

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Still no info about membership, who can submit, and when they can submit.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but no interest for me.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2023 4:50AM

@ms71 said:
    I checked the pricing listings for several pre-1933 gold coins in MS64-MS66 and was very surprised, Significant reductions, all those I checked were at 20% or extremely close. Examples:

Wish I had recorded more of the previous price guide figures, these are just a few I happened to have written down to use as a guide when viewing coins for sale online.

Apparently this sudden drop in CAC price guide has disrupted business at the Baltimore Whitman show:

https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/DailyBlog.htm

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2023 6:34AM

Logger - These threads (disagreement displayed here) reminds me of the Greeks (frats / sorority) vs non Greeks when in college. It is what it is - not into ultra big ticket numismatic material anyway.

Prefer they take their CAC discussions (sick and tired seeing it) over there. This is a PCGS forum.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2023 6:47AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Logger - These threads (disagreement displayed here) reminds me of the Greeks (frats / sorority) vs non Greeks when in college. It is what it is - not into ultra big ticket numismatic material anyway.

Prefer they take their CAC discussions (sick and tired seeing it) over there. This is a PCGS forum.

I edited my somewhat harsh comments, sorry for those. There are a lot of positives that are possible if they develop top flight aspects to their new project, with new dedicated forums and improvements on the way.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:

This has been corrected, and the guides are reverted back to where they were before.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Seems I can't log in, I believe I had/have an account, could be wrong about that. But, there is no tab to join!

New CAC site was having problems. I had same issue. Try again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file