Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay order cancellation question

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sold a coin on eBay and the buyer indicated they asked eBay to cancel the order. That being said, eBay is still showing me that the order is active and I should ship.

What should I do in this case? Should I still ship per what eBay is telling me in the app, or try to reach out to eBay?

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you not take the added precaution of contacting eBay?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2023 4:52PM

@MFeld said:
    Why would you not take the added precaution of contacting eBay?

I am also doing that, but I haven't found the right path yet. I'm looking through their help pages which seem to be steering me to self-help and to wait 3 days before contacting eBay. I figure some eBay experts can help me navigate this more effectively.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I’m not an eBay expert, but I wouldn’t ship a coin to a buyer that indicated they don’t want it.

I agree that seems to be asking for trouble, but since eBay is still telling me to ship, I'm seeking the assistance of eBay experts.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I just sold a coin on eBay and the buyer indicated they asked eBay to cancel the order. That being said, eBay is still showing me that the order is active and I should ship.

What should I do in this case? Should I still ship per what eBay is telling me in the app, or try to reach out to eBay?

I think you have to cancel the order.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a pain in the ass trying to talk to someone at eBay these days. I would not ship. You have it in writing that they want to cancel.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

In situations like this, I perform a browser search. Pathetic, but it's often easier than trying to figure it out directly on the site. This isn't specifically for eBay either.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can eBay even cancel an order?

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@Zoins said:

I think you have to cancel the order.

Yup, I had a buyer request a cancellation a few days before I was leaving the country for four months. I learned that even if I did not accept the cancellation, eBay would automatically cancel after three days:

What hurt even more was the reason for the cancellation (after a seven day auction):

Tim

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Can eBay even cancel an order?

Yes, they can, but it is rare. The only time I've seen them cancel an order is if there is a payment problem or an alleged account hack. There may be other reasons, but it is usually left up to the buyer and seller to work it out.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can cancel the order and relist with no fees.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2023 5:15AM

@Zoins said:

You took step one by cancelling. Next step is the block list. I block everyone who wins an auction, then cancels ( or requests that I do) , or backs out.
    I wonder if GC, Stacks-Bowers, Heritage, or other auction venues just let that slide.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Zoins said:

You took step one by cancelling. Next step is the block list. I block everyone who wins an auction, then cancels ( or requests that I do) , or backs out.
    I wonder if GC, Stacks-Bowers, Heritage, or other auction venues just let that slide.

That’s a real shame. I buy a lot on eBay and have legitimately made a mistake. Never had a seller block me and have done a bit of business at a later date. Just seems harsh to assume that the buyer is evil. No breaks or second chance eh? Your business your rules. I’ll avoid you on principle and eBay 😂🤠.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Zoins said:

That’s a real shame. I buy a lot on eBay and have legitimately made a mistake. Never had a seller block me and have done a bit of business at a later date. Just seems harsh to assume that the buyer is evil. No breaks or second chance eh? Your business your rules. I’ll avoid you on principle and eBay 😂🤠.

It's tough on an auction. If you "accidentally " win an auction and then cancel, you actually poison the item. If I relist it, everyone assumes it was shilled. So, not only do I lose the sale to the underbidder that you mistakenly outbid, but I might not be able to relist it for weeks.

I don't automatically block cancelations. I do automatically block returns.

I had 2 returns last week:

Someone is returning 4 orders of a total of 8 action figures because he decided, while they were in the mail, that he wasn't going to collect them after all. Sorry, but blocked. I'm out $50+ in shipping costs because you made FOUR orders on impulse.

Sometime is returning a Ukraine banknote from May 4th. Why? Because they "found a better price. " Sorry, I'm not an approval service.

Cancelation on BIN are no big deal and cost nothing. Cancelation on an auction is a whole different animal.

Could not agree more.....

Tim

• Options

@Zoins said:

Doesn’t say bin or auction. Either way mistakes happen. I have my opinion and well I stand by my comments.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Zoins said:

Doesn’t say bin or auction. Either way mistakes happen. I have my opinion and well I stand by my comments.

Mistakes happen. But some buyers simply change their minds, after having agreed to a purchase. And in many of those cases, they don’t take any responsibility for their actions or have any concern for the resulting wasted time and financial harm to the seller.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Zoins said:

Mistakes happen. But some buyers simply change their minds, after having agreed to a purchase. And in many of those cases, they don’t take any responsibility for their actions or have any concern for the resulting wasted time and financial harm to the seller.

As I said, a BIN cancelation doesn't bother me. BUT, I had one a few months ago where the buyer canceled an hour or so after purchase because "I found a better price". If nothing else, it is thoughtless and rude. But I also could have shipped it while he was still shopping for a better coin. And if I paid by the listing (I don't), there's also a cost to relisting.

The reason for blocking nuisance buyers is because if they do it once, they'll do it again. And, apologies to the honest mistakes out there, it's rather hard to separate them.

• Options

@Crusty said:
    It’s a pain in the ass trying to talk to someone at eBay these days. I would not ship. You have it in writing that they want to cancel.

It's pretty easy. Request a call back. Last 3 times I did it, they called back in less than 5 minutes.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to back out of an auction I won recently.

It was a bullion item that eBay erroneously added sales tax to, despite it not being a taxable item in my state. There was no way for me to see or know that before the checkout process, and the seller has no control over the application of sales tax.

The last time this happened with eBay it took them weeks to correct it, after dozens of emails and phone calls, so that wasn’t an option.

An unfortunate situation for all parties.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

It was a bullion item that eBay erroneously added sales tax to, despite it not being a taxable item in my state. There was no way for me to see or know that before the checkout process, and the seller has no control over the application of sales tax.

The last time this happened with eBay it took them weeks to correct it, after dozens of emails and phone calls, so that wasn’t an option.

Same exact thing happened to me. All it did was made me stop buying bullion from eBay.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

I wonder what the consensus on this is?
    As the bidder backing out, aren't you still messing with the seller at no cost to you?

I have won some auctions where eBay added sales tax unexpectedly but I still paid. It made me change my bidding behavior for the future but I did not think it was right to ask for a cancellation.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

This relates here and to the thread started by @U1chicago. About a year ago ebay started collecting sales tax out of the blue even though I live in a state where coins and bullion are exempt. When it first happened I was mad and had yet to be made whole by ebay. I had several outstanding bids and asked all of the relevant sellers to cancel accordingly. All but one complied after explaining the situation. This particular seller ignored all of my messages prior to the close of the auction.

Unfortunately, I was the only bidder and won the auction. I then tried to explain the situation again after the fact, but the seller continued to ignore me finally replying that sales tax was out of his control and I should have known prior to bidding. He also explained that he had multiple selling accounts on ebay and because it was my fault he would just open an unpaid buyer dispute. In the interim I received a sales tax refund from ebay. As a result I messaged the seller again and told him I would pay. However, I also requested that he block me on all of his seller accounts, because I didn't want to accidentally purchase anything from him again.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales tax is a VERY COMPLEX problem. The Wayfair decision made it much more complex for small businesses. This is why there are a couple of service businesses that do pretty much nothing but sales tax - making software available to sellers as a service.

How complex?

There are something like 10,000 taxing jurisdictions in the US. There are at least 56 sets of state-level rules, plus some at other levels.

In most states, the tax status is set state-wide, but the tax rates are determined by state + county + local jurisdictions. Even if the rate is the same, it may be apportioned differently for different addresses (and the seller or marketplace has to do that math).

In some places, a numismatic coin might be taxable but bullion is not (or vice versa).

AND: Every time a legislature meets, something is changed.

The only information a marketplace like eBay has is the zip code of the buyer and the category(ies) that the item is listed in.

If you list an ASE in both dollar and bullion categories, as a coin and as a collectible - what tax do they charge?

All of which means it's on you as the buyer to know your local rules and reach out to eBay when they make a mistake. It's not the seller's fault (unless they choose to list something in multiple categories for maximum exposure).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    skamienieckiskamieniecki Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

I recently had a sale on eBay of a 1911 Gold Eagle PCGS graded AU58. The buyer seemed to have remorse on the purchase immediately. He stated that his "accountant" would be sending me payment on midnight the next day then he claimed that he needed me to contact him within 1 minute of his emails to make sure I was "real". He then decided I was a fake seller (with 100% positive feedback) and cancelled his order by sending me yet another email. I then contacted eBay, they cancelled the sale for me and all is well. The best thing to do is to let eBay know the issue and file a complaint then the issues about asking you to send the coin and having eBay charge you for the sale are cancelled and will not place a negative mark on your feedback.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2023 8:28AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Zoins said:

If you're one who is bidding and cancelling, let's make it easy. What is your eBay handle ?
    Address my second point. How do major auction venues handle cancelled bids. In my world, you aren't welcome. Go put useless bids in someone else's books.
    PS. I never mentioned evil.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

I agree with @TwoSides2aCoin. Even if you regret the purchase afterwards or found a better deal after the bid was put in, there is no excuse to try and cancel.

If I left ebay open on my computer and my 4 year old somehow put a bid on something, i'm responsible for paying.

FAFO

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Zoins said:

If you're one who is bidding and cancelling, let's make it easy. What is your eBay handle ?
    Address my second point. How do major auction venues handle cancelled bids. In my world, you aren't welcome. Go put useless bids in someone else's books.

My eBay handle is none of your business. If you want to make it easy post your seller handle. No, I mentioned evil. Your correct about that. 😗

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

you should cancle it. It just happened to me. I canclled it. If you ship he can still sent it back to you which cost more trouble for you.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Zoins said:

Most major auction houses will not allow you to abandon winning bids. GC, I believe, allows you one cancelation.

Heritage will allow you to lower an errant bid but you have to remain the high bidder. You can do it yourself.

Stacks will fix mistakes but you need to contact them.

And, I imagine, they will be more lenient with long time trusted customers.

That is really the issue on ebay. If one of my regulars contacts me to fix a problem, I fix it. No repercussions. No penalties. I'll eat money if I have to. If you're a first timer, I can't know that you're not going to be constant trouble.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file