Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Counterfeit Web Note?

I don't think so. It looks like a genuine note mistaken as a counterfeit due to lack of sharpness and overall quality. That's why the Web note experiment was discontinued. What do you think?
https://ebay.com/itm/325651889059?hash=item4bd25d7ba3:g:q20AAOSwZM1kXQ0f

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it’s genuine. I have yet to see a counterfeit WEB note.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 496 ✭✭✭

Per my Schwartz/Lindquist, Boston did print that serial number in the 1988-A series, and the front and back face plates are also ok. Nothing seems like a counterfeit to me. Except that, of course, the web notes looked kind of like counterfeits to begin with, so I can understand somebody deciding that the note was bogus, but it looks good to me.

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

It looks like a case of mistaken identity. Someone wasn't familiar with web notes or how they look. The note appears genuine.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭

@TennisCoach said:
    It looks like a case of mistaken identity. Someone wasn't familiar with web notes or how they look. The note appears genuine.

I kept one that I found in circulation many years before I realized that they looked like crap normally.

• Options

Hi: May I ask who said it was a counterfeit?

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely looks genuine to me.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptainAmerica said:
    Hi: May I ask who said it was a counterfeit?

This thread is almost a year old and the ebay link is long gone.

Presumably the seller thought it was a counterfeit.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the seller thought it was a counterfeit as he listed it as such but the punch holes indicate a more "professional" cancellation, perhaps a business that handled a lot of cash. Maybe a counting machine rejected it and the business punch cancelled it. It probably wasn't done in the banking system or it would have ended up being destroyed. It's real but mistakenly cancelled.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

Looks more like the work of a bored overnight cashier than someone branding it a counterfeit.