Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Walmart boxes

My local Walmart has quite a few various boxes of cards from all sports. Is there anything special I should look for?

Comments

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart retail, at least for football, is awful. The best rip I had was Elite FB because you can get a nice Purdy. Donruss Christmas FB Blasters are OK with a mem per box but the base Donruss FB blasters are average at best.

The best retail I bought was 2022 Rookie & Stars FB Blasters from Target. Each blaster has auto or mem, the rookie auto hits can be very good. I got a Garrett Wilson auto from 3 blasters.

Mike
  • JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Only decent card came from a 2021 Topps baseball Holiday box and most of my die-cut from Topps heritage had horrible corners.

Look at the other thread...the odds are against you unless you know how the cases are packed...the boxes in the cases are usually not random. You may be better off buying the cards you want than playing the lottery system.

@JolleyWrencher said:

Look at the other thread...the odds are against you unless you know how the cases are packed...the boxes in the cases are usually not random. You may be better off buying the cards you want than playing the lottery system.

I think retail blasters are a little different since they distributed differently than boxes in the hobby. The biggest issue at retail are people weighing the boxes to find the hits. That's why I stick to blasters with a hit per box, it somewhat mitigates the effectiveness of the fat losers weighing the blasters.

Mike

Interesting, never knew people were weighing them but it makes sense. So the powder scales with the .001 accuracy are giving people an advantage.
    I would pay money to see somebody depicted with a triple beam weighing boxes at a retail store.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad jfkheat brought this topic up; I'm working on my Walmart shopping list, but not for cards... :)

One my closer Walmart's has decent selection: BB FB BK HK SC... and the other Walmart close by doesn't have too much in stock...

my last Walmart purchase was...Aug 3rd 2022... :)

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just my take and not ever totally sure about new products.

Since COVID, retail products are the "object" of flippers.

So, IMO, if the shelves are full? There's most likely nothing really good to pick up.

I spend a lot of time at Barnes & Noble - Starbucks with a collector buddy and we've seen the shelves stocked with the same cards for weeks. During COVID, they emptied out in minutes with a 1 box max.

I like TSC this year and was affordable. Was not excited about TC BB this year.

I'm still on the fence about TH this year?

Mike
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. I stopped by the store yesterday. They have shelves full of boxes but I didn't see anything that piqued my interest.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2023 9:12AM

Today Walmart was empty and Target was absolutely overloaded (but no baseball).

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad jfkheat brought this topic up; I'm working on my Walmart shopping list, but not for cards... :)

early this morning my mind was not on cards; I wanted to get out of Walmart as fast as I could, I did not want my ice cream to melt... :)

If anyone wants walmart retail then I can keep my eyes open. NE Iowa has one Walmart and it's generally always stocked. I sometimes find 2021 boxes behind the newer stuff but I'm not huge into modern and don't really look to see if any are worth snagging for a profit. I never consider cards a profit making hobby because I can log more hours for work, or turn some wrenches, and make enough to get the cards I care about.

• PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I, and others I have seen, had a lot of fun with Stadium Club Chrome (baseball) blasters, but at one time it wasn’t an easy score in-store.

The best 2022 retail football blaster to buy is Rookie & Stars (Target exclusive). I passed on a whole shelf full of them at the local Target before I saw the rip videos on YouTube. I could only scrounge 3 off the website before they sold out online.

https://google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS1001US1001&q=2022+rookie+stars+football+blaster+site:youtube.com&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib_vbc-4H_AhXxH0QIHSWKAJUQ0pQJegQIERAB&biw=3440&bih=1329&dpr=1

Mike

What differences are there in Walmart vs target exclusive boxes.

Which card manufacturers do this?
    Which boxes are the same regardless of where you go?
    I think I understand why retail stores want exclusive products but it would be interesting to actually know.

Maybe PSA will put insightful information we discuss into their magazines to spread the knowledge. I always enjoy when companies give spotlights to their fan base.

In addition to the "exclusives" even the same product in name may have different content. For example the 2020/21 UD Hockey Series 1 Mega Boxes have 10 packs at Target and 11 at Walmart. The card companies do this because Walmart and Target can make or break their year and each of them want "exclusives" for their customers.

Most retail boxes are the same. Target tends to have the "higher" end exclusives but Walmart seems to have more boxes in the actual stores.

Mike