Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

$19 bulk value 20 card min with membership vs $19 value no minimum non-membership

PSA deals aren't easy to find. Sometimes the deals are only in emails and then found when mocking up a submission. The specials have their own page but do not always reflect what their emails state.

Is the difference the declared value?
The turnaround time is similar. I am trying to understand the deals so I can make the most of my membership discounts.

The email I received yesterday makes it seem like the value is a better deal, without the need for a membership, since there is no 20 card minimum of a specific era.

TGC and Star Wars deals appeal to a small subset of members. I did a TGC special in February which has been a special for a long time now. Many want deals on sports card grading beyond what non-members can get. The 2022-2023 special would be great for me if there was a 10 card minimum and even better if we ditched the minimum altogether. I think PSA would get more submissions without the minimums for memberships when doing their specials.

I am not hating on PSA but merely trying to understand if I am confused or if their value deal for non-members truly are better than bulk value for members.

Comments

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2023 10:18AM

That is a typo.... Value with NO membership is $25.... All the specials are on the specials page and what it says there should be correct... Emails can have typos.

At the end of the day you've got to pay to grade.... and grade more to pay less!

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Emails surely can have typos and people make honest mistakes. False advertising is the risk of this mistake. It does not seem like the false information
    is intentional but it does not need to be intentional for an advertisement to be considered False. Unfortunately we live in a society where some people don't recognize an honest mistake. My mom used to complain if her hotel room didn't have a Bible in it and try to get a free room...so I know first hand how some people can try to scam a system and believe they are not in the wrong. Sad but true.

If this was a typo/mistake then a PSA mod can acknowledge the mistake and lock it down since there is no future value to an ongoing discussion over my original post. It may clear the air for anyone confused like I was in the short-run.

I have been working on a submission for a couple of days, deciding what is worth grading, and it caught my eye because it would have changed my submission.

When you have a half dozen 2022-2023 cards you want graded, half a dozen vintage cards, and another half dozen or so cards newer than 1979 then it sure would benefit me if the entire submission required a 10 or 20 card minimum instead of various eras, years, or other qualifier.

Like @RufussCkingston said...grade more to pay less. Some of us may grade more if the deals were that simple...grade any 10 or 20 cards at a certain declared value and save on grading costs. I'm certainly not trying to call any shots but I gladly give feedback because constructive feedback from your target audience isn't always a bad thing.

• This was a typo in the email. A corrected one was just sent. Value is $25/card. Apologies for the confusion.

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

I appreciate the clarification and the forum to get quick responses.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2023 4:20PM

@JolleyWrencher said:

Like @RufussCkingston said...grade more to pay less. Some of us may grade more if the deals were that simple...grade any 10 or 20 cards at a certain declared value and save on grading costs. I'm certainly not trying to call any shots but I gladly give feedback because constructive feedback from your target audience isn't always a bad thing.

They have logistical/speed of grading reasons for splitting up the years as they have. In the end, if you don't have that many cards, you can just pay an extra $6 plus an extra shipping fee per section to get it done. Keep in mind that before the pandemic, the Value years spilt was pre and post 1972, and that started at 50 card min!!

As an alternative, you can submit through a PSA dealer like PCsportscards without the min requirement or membership. So there is a way.

Wow 50 card minimum before. Great to know this is better than it used to be. I appreciate the perspective.