Home Q & A Forum

Mint or Post Mint Alteration

ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

New to this Forum so hello from Conshohocken PA. While going through some wheat pennies came across this one and looking for opinions on whether this is Mint damage or Post Mint damage I have been collecting coins for about 20 years mostly wheats and nickels and never seen anything like this thank you in advance for all replies

Comments

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭

There is something on the coin, possibly solder.
    It did not look like that when the coin was struck.
    Considered a damaged coin.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it ain't a comin off. The hunt continues. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah that's what I was thinking was just looking for someone with more knowledge than myself for confirmation thanks for your input

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be completely sure its damaged you might want to try one more course of action.
    Test for silver only on the stain.
    Think of it this way, what if ?
    What ? lol

• NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭✭

Answered already, but most certainly post strike and post mint damage. I can see it raised off the surface, this really isn’t possible the way this coin looks. Keep hunting though!!

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Just to be completely sure its damaged you might want to try one more course of action.
    Test for silver only on the stain.
    Think of it this way, what if ?
    What ? lol

This really wouldn't accomplish anything, even if it tested silver it could be silver solder.