Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the coin you will NEVER sell?

IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
Here's mine, finding good luster on a 1921 Peace is damned near impossible. Finding one with a full strike and good luster is just crazy talk. I bought this one raw in Long Beach one year and will never part with it. As a bonus, guess the grade!

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    That is a dang good strike... I'm thinking ms62-63 range with the hits it has....
    Its a lovely coin.......

I guess I would eventually sell any/every coin I have ever owned....
    I've sold some and really missed them though.....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mine is not to valuable but I would never sell. It is a 1819 half dollar in Xf45, I got it for free and sent it in to have graded by pcgs of course. it was my first submission
    Michael
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told myself I would never sell this one. But hey... I'm just a HOE and anything is for sale if the price is right.image Mine is a bit dirty though.

imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    64 just because of the great strike and eye appeal, though in another year it would be 62-63.

There is almost nothing I own that I wouldn't sell, including a car that I drooled over for almost 10 years that is now in the garage, so all the coins are certainly for sale.

It's just a matter of price. Yes I know that's a punch line to an old joke. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    An 1889-S Morgan that I paid big bucks for as a"BU" but got bodybagged by PCGS
    for cleaning. Think I'll keep it as a reminder of how difficult the learning curve
    can be.
  • Options
    DracoDraco Posts: 512
    I've never sold a single coin and unless there is some financial crisis, I never will. It's my hope that my daughter will feel the same way when my collection passes to her.
  • Options
    Draco, a true collector, a purist. I admire that !
  • Options
    Circumstances always dictate [never].

But if I can hold out till I'm able to find a good job I'd say my 2 favorite barber coins. My icon coin is one of them an 1899 barber quarter in pcgs 65 and of course my favorite coin that I believe is the second finest 1892 S barber half in the world in pcgs 66.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options

<< <i>I told myself I would never sell this one. But hey... I'm just a HOE and anything is for sale if the price is right.image Mine is a bit dirty though.

imageimage >>

stman..... PM me if you a "hoe" and interested in selling the 1942-D Walker over on the other thread.image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VG 1936 Mercury dime.

No, really!

That's the coin that started it all. Thanksgiving Day of 1976. Found it in Grandmomma's sideboard when I was setting the table. She let me look in the other drawers and cupboards, and I found a few more treasures, like a nice unrusted '43 steel cent and a '48 Franklin half that had a large-caliber bullet hole right through it! (No, the Frankie was not my beginning in "Holey" coins- that's the one that Grandmomma kept, since one of the uncles had apparently shot it in midair target practice, when he was a boy.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    This one needs conserving oh so bad....I have always been against fooling around with coins but Im thinking hard of NCS since I will never sell this anyway as the strike and surfaces makes this one a keeper. Members here in past said it looks like it was dipped at one time and not properly rinsed thus the residue hindering the luster.
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    There is no coin I would never sell. And, at least for now, I plan on selling all of them several decades from now.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    old green slab with that coin I'll say 62. I've seen a lot of 62s in the older slabs, I would guess wasn't a true grade.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 465 ✭✭
    I will never sell the coins inherited from my Grandparents.
    The last one I will sell will be a raw '76 Bicentennial proof half -
    nothing special, other than the first coin I bought with my
    hard-earned allowance, back in '77 or '78 (also the only show
    I've ever been to). Nothing else is off limits.
    "What are you putting that tape on your nose for?"
    "Exactly."

• Options
    I'm trying to whittle down my collection. I took a quick pass and came up with a couple coins I won't miss at all. It will get harder after I keep doing this.

I'm thinking I'll hang on to the holed $1 gold coin I inherited from my Grandma. She always made me think she had a huge and valuable hoard of coins. However she only had a few circulated coins. She made things exciting and was really fun to be around.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

al h.image
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Very nice strike and the luster appears nice also.......

MS63
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first and second Barber halves when I started collecting. The first for sentimental reasons and the second because it represents the quintessential look I love.

It is all original, dark, yet beautifully toned. Never cleaned and in fact there is so much original gunk and dirt on the coin that I am sure it could support a small little garden. LOL

Tyler

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I will never sell the coins that I got from my grandmother as a kid. Mainly: 1865 2c, 1865 3c, 1854 25c, 1854 half, 1860 1c. None are in great condition (mostly G/VG) but that don't matter.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1909-S VDB (PCGS MS65RB) that I thought I'd never even consider selling, but lately...

As for the Peace Dollar, although it's a little scuffy, I think it's an MS65.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭
    My '93 Wreath cent, S-9 (sorry, no pix). But you might guess it's only a net AG3 corroded beast, but it was better than VF20 when it was lost.

My Grandfather unearthed this dark brown beauty in 1925 while plowing a field with the old family mule. He had stopped to wipe his brow and noticed something funny as he was looking down.....picked it up and put it in his pocket, and kept going. It was the family mystery coin until I ID'd it in 1965 with a Redbook.

The other is this (a proof medal actually)....Victorian Coronation piece from 1838. The image does it no justice, but the reds and blues are 'electric' and the center is a liquid silver reflecting pool....ahhhhhh!

• Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

The coin I will never sell is an 1898-O Morgan with beautiful obv. toning. It was the first silver dollar I ever bought in 1965 and I paid $4.50 for it. I had it slabbed by PCGS a couple of years ago and it graded MS64. Sorry I don't have a pic, but it's pretty. image
  • Options
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I would not sell the coins in my registry set.....it is complete and unless I one day break down and get nothing but PF 70's I do not see it happening.
    Alexandria Collection

It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house. - Proverbs 25:24
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭
    I have a 1881 Bulgarian 2 Stotinka Specimen. It's copper, proof like and red brown. My moms dad, a grandfather who passed away before I was born, was born around that time and immigrated from Bulgaria in the late 1890s.

I just found this ditty on the web while trying to figure out what the 2 St on the slab label stood for:

"The first modern Bulgarian coins – 2,5 and 10 stotinki – were minted in Birmingham in 1881 and in 1882 coins of 1 and 2 leva in Russia."
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Answer:

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    Would never sell this one and I've been offered CRAZY money more than once........

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    OgdenOgden Posts: 435
    My 1861 double eagle. Only graded XF-45 but it's still a beauty. The date has significance as it was the start of the Civil War.

Ogden
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,

I have learned better than to say never. I said when I bought it that I would never sell this one....
    But it is now for sale.
    Chill Cameron, its just a coincidence, I didnt start the threadimage
    John

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I wouldn't sell my 1849/6 half dime that pcgs graded ms/63. I've been offered quite a bit for the coin, but it isn't going anywhere. I will say that other than some pieces that I obtained when I was younger, starting out with coins, I don't have too much deep loyalty for most of the coins in my collection. Something better comes along (not a grading point better, but eye appeal better, within my budget) out the door with the old, and in with the new. I've regretted selling a few pieces, but I've gotten over it.

Iwog, that's one heck of a '21. Amazing strike for the issue, and the luster seems incredible. Very nice indeed.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never say "never", but besides my sig coin, this would be one of the last to go...

btw John, nice coin, would make an interesting companion to mine image ... 62 I believe?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many of you, never say never but it would be hard to part with this one.
    imageimage
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    I will never part with my raw 1881-S $10 gold eagle, probably AU. I inherited this from my father after he died. Probably only worth around $200 or so in the marketplace, but priceless to me.

I was going to guess MS64 on the grade -- I would have been right!

That's a beautiful quarter, Colorfulcoins!
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well,

Every coin that I've personally bought has a price at which I'd sell. Of coarse, some of those prices would be well over market, but they're availible. I guess the only coin I wouldnt sell is a twenty cent piece that my Grandmother bought me for me when I was a young teen ager. It's just a nice fully origional VG. I really like that coin, and it's something I keep to remember her by.

David

P.S. Here's one that's availble at one of those rediculous prices:
    Looks just like a PQ 66RD... except it's Bn... go figure....

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Colorfulcoins,

Your quarter reminds me of my wife's:

David
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I'll never sell the 1921-S walker that my grandfather plucked from circulation.
    Same for a token my grandmother had from a Kentucky coal company.

-KHayse
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first CC Morgan I purchased...I am still in love, now and forever.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    This thread has really turned sweet. I only have one slabbed white AU50 bust half but coinlt. and Baley are pulling at my heartstrings. image
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    If your's is "a bit dirty"........mine is positively "FILTHY" (though i like a dirty girl! image ).

1921 NGC MS65 High Relief Dirty Girl

<< <i>I told myself I would never sell this one. But hey... I'm just a HOE and anything is for sale if the price is right.image Mine is a bit dirty though.

imageimage >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I would have to be offered quite a bit for this beauty

• Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    My Smithsonians I recieved the Christmas of 1997 in MS and Proof from my father. He passed away in May of 1998 and everytime I look at them I always will remember his life with me!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    A VG 1923 worn Peace dollar my grandfather (rest his sole) gave to me one day as a gift when I was about 5 years old. He said, "Here you go Steve, this one is for the road". I promptly ran outside, placed it in the middle of the road and came back and asked my grandpa if "I" could have one now.........

A priceless $ 8 coin that I wouldn't sell for $ 1000........
  • Options
    three coins I would never sell:

a 1904 $20 gold piece I got from my Dad. I have since passed it on to his Grandson.

two standing Liberty Quarters my mother had in her shoe when she married my Dad.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people who will never sell their '21 Peace dollars!

The coin I'd never sell happens to be a 1922 Peace Dollar. My grandfather gave it to me when I was a kid - he now lives in New Mexico (?). It was the first collector coin I have owned. Dipped it to clean it up a bit and restore the luster and then I sent it in to PCGS, for protection inside the slab mainly. They graded it AU55. I had actually forgotten about it for a long time and it was stored away inside a soft flip image for over a decade. I'm just glad it's not all pukey green!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I have several gold coins that were my grandfather's.
    I wouldn't trade them for the '33 double eagle and that ain't NO LIE!!!!!!
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2023 7:37PM

... :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! - A 19+ year old post brought back to life! I'll sell anything I can make a profit on - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file