Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Same Card got 2 Different Grades

I submitted a 2018 Bowman Chrome Ohtani card #1 cert 71918914 in Feb this year. It came back a 7. I was surprised at the low grade expecting it to grade a 9. Cracked it open, re-examined it, could not see anything to justify the grade of 7, and re-submitted earlier this month. It came back as an 8 cert# 739377783. This tells me that the grading process is still very subjective depending on the grader(s) involved. My understanding is that PSA was going to start using more sophisticated methods in addition to humans doing the grading to improve consistency. It doesn't appear this has yet been implemented. Has anybody else experienced the same thing as this?

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

fairly common. until they have robots grading the cards there will be some level of subjectivity in the process.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of folks have experienced this.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Grading is part card condition and part grader luck! Once got the Grader of God, gave me tens on what should have been 9's!

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a rough time seeing really off-centered 9's and 10's. 50/50 centering should take precedent over a small surface issue.

thus an off-centered 9 looks like an 8 to me

a centered 9 with some issues I can't see easily, is much better to me.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Vintage is much more subjective and can get grade bumps more often. But it happens with modern, too.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

One grade bump does not seem strange . If you said PSA 7 to a PSA 10 or a PSA 7 to a PSA 3 then I would say that would be strange.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

I just received a PSA9 that I bought and it has 2 noticeably touched corners (naked eye, no loupe) and the 3rd corner is bent upward (easily seen by tilting card). It is centered though. LOL
    But If that's a 9, I have stacks of cards I would be submitting. I would have given it a 6.
    It's bad enough I'm considering sending in for review under the PSA grading guarantee.
    Anybody go through review process? It's only a $40 card, but still.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:
    I submitted a 2018 Bowman Chrome Ohtani card #1 cert 71918914 in Feb this year. It came back a 7. I was surprised at the low grade expecting it to grade a 9. Cracked it open, re-examined it, could not see anything to justify the grade of 7, and re-submitted earlier this month. It came back as an 8 cert# 739377783. This tells me that the grading process is still very subjective depending on the grader(s) involved. My understanding is that PSA was going to start using more sophisticated methods in addition to humans doing the grading to improve consistency. It doesn't appear this has yet been implemented. Has anybody else experienced the same thing as this?

Grading is on a continuum. Some cards just have to be very close to the border of 7 and 8. Perhaps this is one of those cards.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    I just received a PSA9 that I bought and it has 2 noticeably touched corners (naked eye, no loupe) and the 3rd corner is bent upward (easily seen by tilting card). It is centered though. LOL
    But If that's a 9, I have stacks of cards I would be submitting. I would have given it a 6.
    It's bad enough I'm considering sending in for review under the PSA grading guarantee.

It's entirely possible those defects occurred after grading and during the holdering process, especially the bent corner, that has happened to me a number of times in the last couple years

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

@RonSportscards said:

It's entirely possible those defects occurred after grading and during the holdering process, especially the bent corner, that has happened to me a number of times in the last couple years

Curious, with the corner cutout/relief area on the holder, how can it cause the bending.
    Did you take any further action on any of your cards this happened to?

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2023 3:57PM

I disagree daltek
    There is zero consistency with the grading. I can post slabs where I have had cards go from a 6 to a 9 and 8 to a 10. There is no borderline there
    Just had grades pop on 160 1982 OPC Hockey. The grader I received has no idea how to grade OPC. I received a handful of 9s but 90% 8s
    The last batch of 45 was the opposite. 90% 9s , that grader knew how to grade rough cut OPC. I basically threw a couple of thousand away because the grader was not in my opinion competent on OPC

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

A follow up to my original post above: So...the PSA Cert site still shows the original grade of 7 being current AND also shows the same card resubmitted as an 8. My point is that the PSA Cert site is very skewed and basically incorrect making it a joke. Given some of the other comments I of course am not the only person this has happened to SO the Cert site is not factual.

• Options

@daltex said:

@jraytay said:

Grading is on a continuum. Some cards just have to be very close to the border of 7 and 8. Perhaps this is one of those cards.

Good point but my point is the subjectivity of PSA grader(s) is something PSA should be addressing. One member said not until robots replace them. Please also see my recent reply/post that the Certification Verification Site has to be totally skewed due to resubmittals of cracked slabs since the original Cert is still listed on the site.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@daltex said:

@jraytay said:

Good point but my point is the subjectivity of PSA grader(s) is something PSA should be addressing. One member said not until robots replace them. Please also see my recent reply/post that the Certification Verification Site has to be totally skewed due to resubmittals of cracked slabs since the original Cert is still listed on the site.

Did you let PSA know you cracked it out of its 7 holder and that they should remove that Cert from their database? If you didn’t, how exactly did they screw up?

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

Its done by humans, does this surprise you?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

A follow up to my original post above: So...the PSA Cert site still shows the original grade of 7 being current AND also shows the same card resubmitted as an 8. My point is that the PSA Cert site is very skewed and basically incorrect making it a joke. Given some of the other comments I of course am not the only person this has happened to SO the Cert site is not factual.

Of course not. How is PSA supposed to know they've seen the card before, barring cards with serial numbers? If you have a non-destructive solution, I think all of us, and PSA, would love to hear it.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@jraytay said:

@daltex said:

@jraytay said:

Did you let PSA know you cracked it out of its 7 holder and that they should remove that Cert from their database? If you didn’t, how exactly did they screw up?

I didn't say they screwed up I said the site is SKEWED and inaccurate.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think anyone would disagree that at this point the POPs are very much inaccurate.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@daltex said:

@jraytay said:

@jraytay said:

Of course not. How is PSA supposed to know they've seen the card before, barring cards with serial numbers? If you have a non-destructive solution, I think all of us, and PSA, would love to hear it.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Aren’t there numerous cases where the pop report could be off? Cards destroyed in fire, flood, lost, thrown away, …? PSA’s data is only as good as the community allows it to be. You’re free to send the cracked out flip back to them and they’ll remove the card from the pop reports. But once the card is out the door, they’re entirely dependent on the community to update them when there are changes - this is just common sense, and I don’t see any way the pop report could be more accurate.

You can safely view it as a high water mark - there shouldn’t be any more of a certain card and grade than the pop report shows, but there could be fewer.

Jim

• Options

Had to think about daltex' comment awhile regarding a non-destructive solution.....Here's what I came up with.....On the PSA submission form they could add this:
    Have any of the cards you're submitting on this form been submitted to PSA before?
    Yes/No...OPTIONAL: If Yes what are the original cert #s?
    This wouldn't have to be a mandatory field to be completed in order for the submission to be accepted.
    Might help the Cert page be a bit more accurate....might not.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2023 7:56AM

This reminds me of a beautiful 1952 Bowman Large Otto Graham PSA 7 I had, I cracked and submitted twice and both times it came back a 7, I sold it to a Board Member who cracked it out and submitting it and Ofcourse it came back a PSA 7.5

This led me to believe they saw my sub history and figured it was the same card, I was not happy

As far as the pop report goes it is subjective since there is no humanly way possible to know how many cards have been cracked and resubmitted, that is not even debatable

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jraytay said:
    Had to think about daltex' comment awhile regarding a non-destructive solution.....Here's what I came up with.....On the PSA submission form they could add this:
    Have any of the cards you're submitting on this form been submitted to PSA before?
    Yes/No...OPTIONAL: If Yes what are the original cert #s?
    This wouldn't have to be a mandatory field to be completed in order for the submission to be accepted.
    Might help the Cert page be a bit more accurate....might not.

When cracking out and submitting, you are supposed to send in the old "flip", I thought this was common knowledge.

If you are worried PSA will see they have graded the card already and not want to improve the grade, you can send it in at a later date. They should make the adjustment.

YES, the pop report is skewed, but the fault is mainly because of the submitters, not so much PSA's.

I use the pop report as a guide, realizing some cards have been cracked out and resubmitted multiple times without the submitter notifying PSA. The number of 10's should be accurate. That's all anyone's buying now........right?

I have many complaints about PSA, this is not one of them.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    This reminds me of a beautiful 1952 Bowman Large Otto Graham PSA 7 I had, I cracked and submitted twice and both times it came back a 7, I sold it to a Board Member who cracked it out and submitting it and Ofcourse it came back a PSA 7.5

This led me to believe they saw my sub history and figured it was the same card, I was not happy

I doubt they took the time to look up your sub history. Your card probably "deserved" the .5 bump, which PSA ignores on most cases. I have sent in hundreds of cards and haven't gotten more than a few .5's.
    >

As far as the pop report goes it is subjective since there is no humanly way possible to know how many cards have been cracked and resubmitted, that is not even debatable

This is correct, if submitters would send in their old flips, the report would be accurate.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Aren't they photo. many high end cards now? So same Mantle, AAron, Mays, etc. can be checked regardless of wh;o ssent it in.