Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Using the zoom feature (or not) on eBay listings

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do some listings allow you to use the zoom feature to get a better look at a card? What do sellers do, or not do when creating their listings to activate or deactivate this feature?

Tks

Comments

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

I think the zoom is from the higher quality pictures uploaded to ebay. Some sellers do not upload a good image when the card is not up to the quality for the grade. The fuzzy image was not there by mistake.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, the images were not bad, but I kinda like to zoom in and look for scratches or any abnormality that you otherwise can't see. If I figure it out, I'll post.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    How do some listings allow you to use the zoom feature to get a better look at a card? What do sellers do, or not do when creating their listings to activate or deactivate this feature?

Tks

I've wondered that too. Doesn't seem to be because of picture size because ebay has min size standard. I would open pic in another tab and save to computer, then zoom in using an image viewer. If that didn't work, I would right click the pic to view page source and find the pic path and open the link.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2023 4:52PM

In the past I have seen un-zoomable pics from only a few sellers. But all of a sudden, the first pic in every auction is postage stamp sized and cannot be enlarged, while subsequent pics are normal sized. Anyone else experiencing this?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always used a scanner when listing cards. Usually higher graded ones in which I wanted the "zoom" feature, also not a fan of poor photos in general. Not looking to get something back because a flaw couldn't be seen.
    For some reason, I changed the settings on my scanner to a lower scan resolution, and my listings did not have the zoom.
    I reset my scanner and the zoom came back.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    In the past I have seen un-zoomable pics from only a few sellers. But all of a sudden, the first pic in every auction is postage stamp sized and cannot be enlarged, while subsequent pics are normal sized. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'm seeing this, too. Moving the cursor over the image shows a larger version, but clicking on the small image goes to a new page with the small image in it. It looks like another eBay bug.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nearmint said:

@PaulMaul said:

I'm seeing this, too. Moving the cursor over the image shows a larger version, but clicking on the small image goes to a new page with the small image in it. It looks like another eBay bug.

Yes, and if you are on a mobile device, there isn’t a “hover” option, so as an IPad user I am not bidding on any auction until this is fixed.

• OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    1. I use an eBay recommended image size of 1600 x 1600 pixels. Perfectly fills the small image viewer and provides a great rollover zoom, which happens automatically.
    2. This question is related to the PSA Set Registry how? :D