1966 opc psa 8 sells for $1,650

1974 topps psa 9 sells for $2,150

now that's some cha ching.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 309 ✭✭✭

1973 went for crazy $$$ as well

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

My '86 Donruss P.R. PSA10 on eBay is languishing with what I thought was a low BIN LOL.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

1974 topps psa 9 sells for $2,150

1974 topps PSA 9 -147 pop, compared to 1975 topps - 448.

So makes sense.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like, starting with 1977 and older, the PSA 9's are making a big run up in price. 8's are hanging tough.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Rose PSA-9s are 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1969….so I’m happy to see his cards are playing catch up to other star players from the era.

How are Nolan Ryan cards in the 1970s? I have his cards in the 1970s in PSA-9 : 1970, 1972,1973, 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1979.

mint_only_pls
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    My Rose PSA-9s are 1965, 1966, 1967 and 1969….so I’m happy to see his cards are playing catch up to other star players from the era.

How are Nolan Ryan cards in the 1970s? I have his cards in the 1970s in PSA-9 : 1970, 1972,1973, 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1979.

Great set of Rose and Ryan! All my 9s and 10s for Rose are in the 70s, and I have about half in one or other grade. I will not sell any of those.

Ryan seems to still be trending up too. I used to be able to pick one up now and then but it seems I've started seeing more 8s in the same price range. Good for you though!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness is that ever a clean OPC Rose! It looks beautiful!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

That OPC is incredible.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you see some lower graded cards,7-8, rise in price an increase in submissions should follow. Good business for TPG's.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Are Rose Rookies increasing to the same degree as his other cards?

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Are Rose Rookies increasing to the same degree as his other cards?

I hope so. My Rose RC is line to be sent to an auction service soon.

My interests aside, Pete is 81, give the old man a break and let him in.

Mike
  • threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@Harnessracing said:
    Agreed, he should be in

What? We all know gambling isn’t allowed on sports….<oops!!> Nevermind.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2023 2:51PM

Rose was my favorite player growing up. I think if it were just the gambling he would be in. I stopped being a fan because of the below. A 32 year old should not be having a relationship with a 16 year-old as Rose said or a 14 year-old as she indicates. In most states he would be convicted. Fay Vincent said this was not isolated. Mel Hall is in prison for the same thing - if true not being in the Hall of Fame is a minor punishment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/01/woman-says-she-had-sexual-relationship-with-pete-rose-as-an-underage-teen/

• johfrjohfr Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Pete could play with the best of them. Unfortunately he broke the #1 rule in the game at that time. Every locker room in major league baseball had the rule about gambling posted. Pete knew what he was doing and knew what the potential consequences were. He just thought he was above the rules. He's always been cocky and arrogant. As a player that was entertaining. As a human being he's just annoying. He broke the rule and has to live (and eventually die) with his punishment.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

Does being in the Hall matter anymore? As a 70s Dodger fan, I hated Rose. And yeah, he had Reggie Jackson level ego. But looking back there's no doubt Pete Rose was the best player that played the game, Hall or not.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless we take out every person in the hall that did bad things, Pete should be in.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    Does being in the Hall matter anymore? As a 70s Dodger fan, I hated Rose. And yeah, he had Reggie Jackson level ego. But looking back there's no doubt Pete Rose was the best player that played the game, Hall or not.

Huh? No doubt that Rose was great on the field, but this is the first I've heard of him being suggested the all-time best.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Unless we take out every person in the hall that did bad things, Pete should be in.

Yet OJ Simpson is still in the football HOF.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

was it ever proven that Rose Bet during his playing days?

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I was wondering also about if his 63 Rookie card is moving up?

PackManInNC
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2023 1:44PM

Pete Rose is indirectly the reason I got into collecting. In the early 80's Pete was the most popular non-Tiger in Detroit. All of my friends started collecting Pete Rose and baseball cards which eventually led me to getting a 1980 Topps Baseball Wax Box for my birthday.

I wasn't a Pete fan because Detroit is an AL town, but I traded all my Pete's for Tigers, which was the first of many bad trades I did.

Mike
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

GD right he is one of the greats and should be in the HOF. He could basically play ANY position and perform any baseball feat to the highest level. An interesting topic would be if you had to choose one player to play all 9 position who would it be? Over a season which nine beats the other nine?

He is also a liar, and lacks character.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

He definitely is reason I started collecting and will be last card I part with. Hopefully they move up and he gets in before he dies.

PackManInNC

I dont think any player in history played the game any harder than Pete did.

pete was awesome.

not a phillies fan but schmidt and rose were two of my favs. i would assume its safe to say the schmidt is the best third baseman of all-time.

@Cakes said:

@RonSportscards said:

GD right he is one of the greats and should be in the HOF. He could basically play ANY position and perform any baseball feat to the highest level. An interesting topic would be if you had to choose one player to play all 9 position who would it be? Over a season which nine beats the other nine?

This argument confuses me. If a player could play short brilliantly like Belanger, or even competently like Alex Rodriguez, why should I care how well he plays right field?

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2023 11:29AM

@daltex said:

@Cakes said:

@RonSportscards said:

This argument confuses me. If a player could play short brilliantly like Belanger, or even competently like Alex Rodriguez, why should I care how well he plays right field?

I wouldn't call it an argument, more like an odd take! :# I guess the only way I can elaborate is he was the kid in Little League or on your little league team that could play all of the positions well.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

After WW2 I’d agree, before then there were a lot of tough guys who laid it all out for much less.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Agreed. The guy ate, drank, slept baseball. He really loved the game. He was a student of the game. He had the stats, but he understood situations and intricacies that don't show up in stats. I'd watch interviews many years after his retirement, and he could recall specific pitch counts given a situation, and each players strengths and weaknesses. It was amazing. He was next level.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

$7500? I could mayyybe see that for a perfectly centered ‘64…but this one??

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=140341

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedHeart54 said:

Perplexing. That was a stable $1500 card pre-COVID and only hit $4000-4500 during the 750K Jordan days. $7500 for a PSA 8 non-rookie card?

It does seem really high. Especially for one not centered. Some people do prefer the 64 over the rookie though.

the 1964 Pete Rose is my favorite card. I have 6 or 7 of them graded. Picked up one at a local card show about 6 years ago for $20 and it graded a 4.5. I would venture a guess that centered ones at any grade will be great investments. PSA 7's are at $1,400 ++ right now.

Hey if you are willing to doll out a couple thousand for Wander Franco, how long can it be before the PSA 8's 1964 Rose's are near $10,000 for centered ones.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Yes. The IRS seized betting slips with Pete's name, writing and fingerprints on them.
    In fact Rose was originally offered a deal to just get suspended if he admitted to betting on baseball and he refused.
    Pete Rose fans aren't going to look into the investigation done by John Dowd, and the later allegations of Pete having sex with girls as young as 12-14 during spring training. In the 1970's, Pete was supposed to be in a long term relationship with a young woman that started before she turned 16.
    Pete filed a defamation suit regarding those allegations, which he later dropped.
    When Pete found out about what was uncovered about his behaviors, he made a deal to keep the facts from being revealed, agreeing to the lifetime ban. The gist of the document was that Rose accepted he was being banned on factual basis, while Major League Baseball agreed to make no formal findings in the case against him.
    He admitted to betting on games in his autobiography "My Prison Without Bars".
    He signs baseballs with "I am sorry I bet on baseball", and will even sign a copy of the Dowd Report!
    Pete has made more money and fame from being banned from the HOF than if he had gotten in.
    MLB under Selig was even going to work with him on reinstatement, but then he published his book and Selig backed away.
    Looks to me like his fans are a lot more upset about it than he is!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Pete was probably guilty. But for the fans that watched him, they really enjoyed "Charlie Hustle".

Mays, AAron, Bonds, Williams, Musial, AROD, Rose, Schmidt, Pujols, Ruth. Probably the best 10 players of All-time.

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

Yes. The IRS seized betting slips with Pete's name, writing and fingerprints on them.
    In fact Rose was originally offered a deal to just get suspended if he admitted to betting on baseball and he refused.
    Pete Rose fans aren't going to look into the investigation done by John Dowd, and the later allegations of Pete having sex with girls as young as 12-14 during spring training. In the 1970's, Pete was supposed to be in a long term relationship with a young woman that started before she turned 16.
    Pete filed a defamation suit regarding those allegations, which he later dropped.
    When Pete found out about what was uncovered about his behaviors, he made a deal to keep the facts from being revealed, agreeing to the lifetime ban. The gist of the document was that Rose accepted he was being banned on factual basis, while Major League Baseball agreed to make no formal findings in the case against him.
    He admitted to betting on games in his autobiography "My Prison Without Bars".
    He signs baseballs with "I am sorry I bet on baseball", and will even sign a copy of the Dowd Report!
    Pete has made more money and fame from being banned from the HOF than if he had gotten in.
    MLB under Selig was even going to work with him on reinstatement, but then he published his book and Selig backed away.
    Looks to me like his fans are a lot more upset about it than he is!

Thank you for the information. It all sounds pretty slimy. especially the underage girl stuff. And yes, I do believe Pete will sign anything for the right price. it seems like I remember seeing some pretty crazy inscriptions in the past: "I killed JFK", "I broke up the Beatles" etc.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    the 1964 Pete Rose is my favorite card. I have 6 or 7 of them graded. Picked up one at a local card show about 6 years ago for $20 and it graded a 4.5. I would venture a guess that centered ones at any grade will be great investments. PSA 7's are at $1,400 ++ right now.

Hey if you are willing to doll out a couple thousand for Wander Franco, how long can it be before the PSA 8's 1964 Rose's are near $10,000 for centered ones.

I bid on that early, but wasn't chasing it that high. I'm a huge fan of this card too, and have noticed it really going up in price recently. Seems like there are a lot of people wanting it.

The 1974 PSA 9's of superstars are climbing fast, real fast. And From 1975 - 1977 there is a smaller burst. But wax and sets pre-78 are getting tougher and tougher to find. Can't be but so many 9's and 10's left. Especially 1975 and back.

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

This is a 1972 Venezuelan Stamps Pete Rose. Probably will never see another one come up for sale. Super super rare.

@olb31 said:
    Pete was probably guilty. But for the fans that watched him, they really enjoyed "Charlie Hustle".

Mays, AAron, Bonds, Williams, Musial, AROD, Rose, Schmidt, Pujols, Ruth. Probably the best 10 players of All-time.

No pitchers?

this is a pete thread, no pitchers invited. lol

@olb31 said:

OK. So top ten position players of all time. Rose is, by far, the weakest player on this list. The other nine are plausible candidates along with some combination of Cobb, Speaker, Wagner, Hornsby, Eddie Collins, Gehrig, Henderson, Ott, Mantle, Frank Robinson, Lajoie, and Joe Morgan.

Rose was very good, and has his hits record because he hung around forever (also games played, at bats, and plate appearances) without quite becoming a compiler in the sense of Jim Kaat or Harold Baines. On the field he's a no doubt HoFer, but let's face facts. His first four years he was a poor defensive second baseman, after which he divided his time between the corner infield and outfield spots. His defense there was uninspired (not even close to a Hernandez, a Brooks Robinson, a Clemente, or a Barry Bonds). So we have a player who was a pretty significant minus defensively, though by no means historically bad, who only has a 118 OPS+ and, somehow, only 160 home runs.

In terms of batter runs, Rose is just behind players like Jack Clark, but in twice as many PA.

A very good player who was able to play at a solid level seemingly forever, but not even close (on the field) to the players listed above.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

"Probably guilty"?
    Not sure how you can make that statement. Pete broke the #1 rule of baseball and it was both proven AND he openly admits it.
    There's no doubt he was "entertaining". He played hard, as did most players. The "Charlie Hustle" nickname was given to him as a criticism, not a compliment. Mantle said "If I hit like that, I would wear a dress"!
    "Best"? That is completely incorrect unless you are talking about career length, or maybe popularity.
    Here's where Pete really ranks all time;
    Batting Average, 180th.
    On Base Percentage, 228th.
    OPS, 625th.
    SLG 982nd.
    Stolen bases, 367th.
    He's right in the Harold Baines area.
    He did play almost every game for almost 20 years, which is amazing.
    He's probably somewhere in the top 250 players of all time.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2023 9:38AM

Bonds and Arod should not be in the conversation due to use of enhancement performing drugs…now that is cheating!

Rose is not top 10, agree, but considering all factors definitely much, much better than top 250. I would say top 30…

mint_only_pls
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedHeart54 said:

Wow that's surprising. It's a nice example but the centering isn't perfect. I still prefer mine.

• 1all1all Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

Yea.... saying Rose = Baines is getting into Troll territory. I know that Joe isn't a troll but he is definitely trying to stir the pot with that post.