Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1958 Inaugural San Francisco Giants Set

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 27, 2023 10:50AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Being born and raised in the SF bay area I am a Giants fan through and through. Some of my earliest and best memories are of me and my family curling up under a thick blanket at Candlestick once the sun moved enough to cast a shadow under the upper deck. Good God, for a CA kid, that was about as cold as it got, especially when the wind was whirling. I can still taste the flat wooden spoon you got with those little chocolate malt cups like it was yesterday.

Anyway, a short while back I got the thought of putting together a team roster set from the inaugural year of the Giants being in San Francisco. The more I thought about it the more appealing the thought became. Thankfully 1958 isn't Mays's rookie year lol. I'm looking forward to a long journey with the collection and glad to have somewhere like this forum to share it.

I'll post the new additions to this thread as they roll in over time. So far the collection is only two cards...

Comments

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Being born and raised in the SF bay area I am a Giants fan through and through. Some of my earliest and best memories are of me and my family curling up under a thick blanket at Candlestick once the sun moved enough to cast a shadow under the upper deck. Good God, for a CA kid, that was about as cold as it got, especially when the wind was whirling. I can still taste the flat wooden spoon you got with those little chocolate malt cups like it was yesterday.

Anyway, a short while back I got the thought of putting together a team roster set from the inaugural year of the Giants being in San Francisco. The more I thought about it the more appealing the thought became. Thankfully 1958 isn't Mays's rookie year lol. I'm looking forward to a long journey with the collection and glad to have somewhere like this forum to share it.

I'll post the new additions to this thread as they roll in over time. So far the collection is only two cards...

Great cards, color really pops. Thank you for sharing...I have a similar collecting style, putting together Cubs team sets from the 1950s. Currently working on a graded '51 Bowman set. Keep us posted on progress!

P.S. Wrigley could get cold too...lol

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:

P.S. Wrigley could get cold too...lol

Oh man I don't doubt that. Colder than a California kid would want to deal with for sure.

• paulb71paulb71 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭✭

I remember as a kid in the late 70's my mom taking us to Giants games at Candlestick park in the middle of summer, we would leave our house in Sacramento where it was 104 and drive 75 miles west to San Francisco and it was 54 with the swirling winds.

Agree....nice card! I have a few Sauers in my collection. Hank had a solid career, including 7 years with Cubs. In the Cubs Hall of Fame.

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I'm amazed how many well graded vintage cards exist. Shows some people really took good care of their collections.

Are you collecting PSA8 and higher? Does every team feature the same number of players? Is there a manager card? Guess I should go study some checklists eh?

@JolleyWrencher said:

Are you collecting PSA8 and higher? Does every team feature the same number of players? Is there a manager card? Guess I should go study some checklists eh?

I've got no minimum grade in mind, just going for the highest grade available at the time I'm searching that also fits within the budget. No idea if the size of the roster was uniform throughout the league.

The manager was Bill Rigney and I've not seen any 1958 card for him but that doesn't mean they don't exist, so I guess I'm really not sure. I have seen a 1960 Rigney manager card for whatever that's worth. Maybe someone else here knows if 58 manager cards were a thing...?

I don't see a 1958 Topps Rigney card. But he would be on the team card (#19).

5 Willie Mays
    19 New York Giants CL, TC
    21 Curt Barclay
    37 Mike McCormick RC, UER
    68 Daryl Spencer
    86 Valmy Thomas RC
    107 Ossie Virgil UER
    111 Stu Miller
    128 Willie Kirkland RC, UER
    136 Jim Finigan
    152 Johnny Antonelli
    166 Danny O'Connell
    183 Dave Jolly UER
    195 Whitey Lockman UER
    211 Pete Burnside RC
    253 Don Mueller
    263 Eddie Bressoud RC
    272 Ray Crone
    284 Ray Katt
    308 Paul Giel UER
    332 Jim King
    335 Ruben Gomez
    343 Orlando Cepeda RC
    362 Ray Jablonski
    378 Hank Sauer
    399 Marv Grissom
    413 Jim Davenport RC
    427 Al Worthington
    436 Rival Fence Busters CPC
    437 Bob Speake
    447 Ray Monzant
    468 Bob Schmidt RC
    486 Willie Mays AS

Nice pickup, good progress on the set. The centering on '58 Topps set was really good compared to other 1950's sets.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this thread for the first time. Sweet collecting theme and you have a great eye for quality cards with great eye-appeal!

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck trying to get the Mays in anything near a PSA 7 or 8.

Got this Al Worthington yesterday, pretty happy with it. He pitched for the Giants for 6 years but only 2 of those were in San Francisco.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

very awesome... I love it.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always appreciate when someone comes up with a novel project.

This one is a winner!

I'm old enough to remember when the Giants and the Dodgers left. In fact, if memory serves, the Dodgers couldn't leave (get "league" permission) NYC without the Giants following to make the west coast travel for teams to be worth the trouble?

Thanx Clad (don't know your first name - coin guy?) for sharing.

Mike

Another new addition to the collection. Feels good putting this one behind me. Now I can really focus on trying to find some of the harder cards to locate.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Another new addition to the collection. Feels good putting this one behind me. Now I can really focus on trying to find some of the harder cards to locate.

hey Cladiator,
    Say Hey...Oh Yeah... :)

Added the Jim Davenport rookie card to the set. I was pretty stoked to pick this one up, big fan of Jim. His whole career was with the Giants (13 as a player, 1 as manager). I bet he's got some stories.

Two more into the collection...

Great progress on the set! Just curious, where are you finding most of these? eBay?

Mostly the bay. Some eBay sellers also have non-eBay stores that I've found too.