Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Do You View Your Coin Collection At Home?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Nothing beats looking at coins in hand. If I wanted to only look at pictures there are millions online.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of us storing our collections in gun safes... they're designed to thwart curious teenagers exploring B&E as a career choice and would be burglars with a crowbar. If you're on vacation a dedicated thief would need about an hour with an angle grinder and a few cutoff wheels to get into it...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

In trays in wood cases in my study. Well secured so I can view at home. And insured. I like the Lighthouse wood boxes with up to 4 trays of 8 slabs for displaying. I keep a couple of glasses and a loupe handy, but I'm not really into minutiae, generally. Bright reading lamp on my desk.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be weird but I don’t view my coins much at all. I have a number of raw albums, some very close to filled. Just don’t pull them down to look. I have my good stuff at the SDB. My insurance lets me have it in either locations. I guess I don’t need to look at them often, just know I have them and look when I get a desire to.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos on my computer. A good friend is an awesome photographer. I'm fortunate. I have been known to go to my bank and spend a few hours sometime. :)
    I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with my collection at home.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 2:36PM

Photos on screen, occasional visits to/from SDB, and sometimes I'll keep one or a few guest pieces at home for a while.

The increasing significance of security considerations is one of the biggest reasons I'm unlikely to grow my collection very aggressively going forward.

mirabela
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 3:26PM

@Shane6596 said:
    How Do You View Your Coin Collection At Home?

In a car. Because he lives in a car! 😂 🤣 👍🏻 Don't tell him I said that! 😂 🤣 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol...kinda true tho

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 7:23PM

...> @TurtleCat said:

I must be weird but I don’t view my coins much at all. I have a number of raw albums, some very close to filled. Just don’t pull them down to look. I have my good stuff at the SDB. My insurance lets me have it in either locations. I guess I don’t need to look at them often, just know I have them and look when I get a desire to.

I went so long without seeing my coins that I didn't recognize some of them when I retrieved them from my SDB. I thought they looked like their seller's juiced photos that I had posted here in the SLH thread and elsewhere. I went looking for this richly, red-brown toned 74-S for TPG grading, and I found a gray coin. I had to check the coin against the photos to make sure it was the same coin.

The local bank closed, so I have to go a bank 10 miles away that doesn't have large enough SBDs. I now have the good stuff in the bank and lesser stuff at home. It's time to sell off the lesser stuff from my early collecting.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have struggled with this. I prefer to look at the coins rather than photos. My next collection might be something that does not need to be kept in a safe deposit box.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't my collection is in my bank vault. So I look at images I have and set one as my desk top image depending on my mood.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

... with much skepticism. ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful with those safety deposit boxes.

JPMorgan Is Being Sued For Allegedly Selling $10 Million in Jewelry in a Couple’s Safe Deposit Boxes

https://robbreport.com/style/jewelry/jpmorgan-safe-deposit-jewelry-1234821926/

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Be careful with those safety deposit boxes.

JPMorgan Is Being Sued For Allegedly Selling $10 Million in Jewelry in a Couple’s Safe Deposit Boxes

https://robbreport.com/style/jewelry/jpmorgan-safe-deposit-jewelry-1234821926/

That’s when the SDB insurance comes in handy.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol...kinda true tho> @OAKSTAR said:

Man, if you're traveling for work I would leave my coins at home. Just take your loupe with you and hit local banks along the way for rolls.

In New Hampshire this week. I did goto local bank and picked up a $25 box of pennies and a handful of halves. Hopefully a few goodies will be found.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought maybe I was in the minority using a SDB, guess more of us do that than I realized. I may have a few at home that I recently purchased or bring back for one reason or another but generally have to use the pictures on my computer.

This is one reason I'm considering a better photo setup since a good portion of what I own is raw and my pictures are not satisfactory for me.

Mark

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just keep them in albums, wooden boxes, or a fireproof safe. Every Sunday I pick a few and set them on my desk to admire when bored. I live in a good neighborhood, so not much risk of robbery.

Though maybe, just maybe… :D

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file