Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WHY IS JOHN STOCKTON SO UNDERVALUED?

Arguably one of the greatest of all time so why are his cards worth much less than his peers? He holds 2 NBA records that will never be broken(assists and steals) yet very little interet n his cards. Gary Payton said he was harder to guard than Michael Jordan.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uRZsPRV9yLs

Comments

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I imagine a few small contributing factors such as lack of championships, Karl put down the points, he was quite humble and didn't have as many endorsements...he's kind of like a great field goal kicker and punter...helps win games and is appreciated by the organization but never gets enough credit from the broader fan base beyond the cities they play in.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 10:00AM

Looks like a PSA 9 Fleer Stockton has been going for about $55.

Pippen in 9 about $170.

Rodman in 9 about $100.

Reggie Miller about $120.

Wow, about 20 years ago Stockton was not the lowest of those guys. He was at the top with Pippen.

I didn't check the population of 9's to see if that is why.

Yes, seems way undervalued.

PS, I forgot to add though that Stockton has Star Company cards which really are his rookie cards.

His Star CO rookie card is about a $1,000 in BGS 9.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, he played in Utah. Not exactly a big market team. Lack of media attention plugging his accomplishments, etc.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have often wondered the same. I think it could be that he seemed utterly unconcerned with scoring and was perfectly happy distributing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was also known as a very hard nosed player, with many other NBA not liking him and labelling him a dirty player. This is interesting because Karl Malone had a similar reputation.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short shorts

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a relatively unexciting player playing in Utah for a team that won no championships. He's told the story of walking around Barcelona completely unrecognized during the 92 Olympics, including by one person literally wearing his face on a shirt. Guys like that, who average just 13 pts a game, aren't going to be big sellers.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

People only care about scoring.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was an old-school throwback when he played with a style that was not flashy. Compared to today's NBA his style is prehistoric. That's not going to make people have any interest.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I will add another angle. There's only so much money in the hobby and he is not undervalued. John S is a HOFer, but I wouldn't pay 55.00 for his PSA 9 1988 Fleer RC and I do collect basketball cards.

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

He is very conservative. He does not do self promotion. He doesn’t do commercials or autograph signings. I don’t even think he has an agent.

• JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I haven't read what he said and I'm sure the forum doesn't want to go political. If you've studied marketing, statistics, or law then you will discover about everything is provable to a certain audience.

Why do I have a feeling 30 years from now all the dream team rookies will be worth hundreds and many of us either won't live to see it or won't have the memory to realize the value some of us gave away.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

lots of psa 10's.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Also, he played in Utah. Not exactly a big market team. Lack of media attention plugging his accomplishments, etc.

Beat me to it!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that era of the late 80's and 90's, I don't think small point guards are popular with collectors. You could argue that Isiah Thomas is more undervalued than Stockton since he won back to back titles. I think of all of point guards - Isiah, Stockton, Price, Hardaway, Kevin Johnson, etc - and none of them have a significant hobby following.

If you were a fan in mid/late 80's, the popularity was moving from the big men to the forwards/big guards. I don't think a Steph Curry would be as big of a star during that era as he is in today's NBA.

Mike
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    In that era of the late 80's and 90's, I don't think small point guards are popular with collectors. You could argue that Isiah Thomas is more undervalued than Stockton since he won back to back titles. I think of all of point guards - Isiah, Stockton, Price, Hardaway, Kevin Johnson, etc - and none of them have a significant hobby following.

If you were a fan in mid/late 80's, the popularity was moving from the big men to the forwards/big guards. I don't think a Steph Curry would be as big of a star during that era as he is in today's NBA.

He sure would have been if he was allowed to shoot and score the way he does now.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

i'll play devil's advocate. trout and ohtani play for one of the suckiest baseball organizations of all-time. neither one has ever won 1 playoff game. but people act like they are mantle and koufax.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    i'll play devil's advocate. trout and ohtani play for one of the suckiest baseball organizations of all-time. neither one has ever won 1 playoff game. but people act like they are mantle and koufax.

Modern day Angels can't compare to Mack's A's who wouldn't even hire a (professional) manager because it cost too much. Come to think of it, Charlie O.'s A's a couple of generations later trying to trade or sell anyone off of value before free agency started. Come to think of it, the Harry Frazee Red Sox weren't exactly a model of unsuckiness.

Charlie O's A's - I think they won 1 playoff game, maybe even a world series.

Stockton rookie just has too many PSA 10's floating around (pop 963). in fact the regular Stockton has the most PSA 10's in the whole set by 450. Now the All-Star 1988 Fleer Stockton, is the one to have. POP 120. That one should be well above $1,000, but it's not. Keep an eye on the All-star.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Charlie O's A's - I think they won 1 playoff game, maybe even a world series.

I was referring to the start of the 1976 season until he finally sold the team. Surely today's Angels can't begin to compare to those A's in suckiness.