Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a Black Beauty?

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of this coin. Very lustrous. Is this what they mean when they say Black Beauty?

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, but I do not believe that is a Black Beauty.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:
    Nice coin, but I do not believe that is a Black Beauty.

Not even the reverse?

Definitely not going to get the @Ricko Blast White Sticker.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jackson and Lee on horseback in the moonlight, against smooth blue-black surfaces. No black, fuzzy crud.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "Beer Holder"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, i think it only applies to nickels, though a nice 64 morgan.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything I’ve heard is that term appears to apply to nickels. I’ve got a dime that has the look but doubt it is considered one. Let’s see if I can get a picture.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the context of Morgans (which is the only way I've heard the term used) I think your coin definitely qualifies. When I think of the term, it's a Morgan toned in a very deep purple/near black, but it still has lustre beneath it so the coin is bright, not just dull, dark, and unappealing. Maybe a more "perfect" example would be a bit darker, a bit brighter, or not have the splashes of other color, but that shouldn't mean your coin doesn't qualify.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me but there could be certain toner hobbyists.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

@airplanenut said:
    In the context of Morgans (which is the only way I've heard the term used) I think your coin definitely qualifies. When I think of the term, it's a Morgan toned in a very deep purple/near black, but it still has lustre beneath it so the coin is bright, not just dull, dark, and unappealing. Maybe a more "perfect" example would be a bit darker, a bit brighter, or not have the splashes of other color, but that shouldn't mean your coin doesn't qualify.

This is the way I heard the term used. Re shooting some coins and came across this one and thought I'd ask. Definitely different.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file