Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gobrecht Dollars -- Circulation Issues -- Coins Surviving

HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the three Gobrecht Dollars viewed as "circulation issues" -- 1836 coin turn, 1836 medal turn, and 1839, I believe it is generally accepted that the number of coins minted were 1000, 600, and 300 respectively.

Could someone provide estimates of the number of coins remaining in each category?

Thanks!

Higashiyama

Comments

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1836 , both turns, appear to be fairly plentiful. I am still looking for a holed or plugged 1839. You would probably have a good estimate from just adding up the number the large auction houses have handled.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

If you are interested in Gobrecht Dollars I suggest you buy a copy of The Red Book
    A Guide book of Liberty Seated Coins. It covers all Seated coins but gives detailed information on Gobrecht populations. you will find a 12 page section on theses. James

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

I also checked on the Liberty Seated Collectors Club site. If you go this site (which is free)
    and look under online references, They have the Bowers Book on All Dollars there.
    there is a section on Gorbrecht dollars there. I know it is cliche to pump the book before coin pedal, but with coins like this I think you are better off getting your information straight from the source. James

• gschwernkgschwernk Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭✭

My website contains a section dedicated to Gobrecht dollars where I propose a way to classify them.

https://sc-coins.com/

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous raw coin!

When in doubt, don't.
  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Higashiyama - Where were you able to get the book. I had checked with Whitman a while back and was told that it is out of print?
    Thanks.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio — I found a copy on ebay.

Higashiyama
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 5:15PM

@TomB said:
    The nomenclature for "original", "restrike" and coin vs. medal turn numbers appears to have been muddled over the years and at various times auction houses will show coins as they appear in the holders or will "correct" the orientation of the reverse vs. the obverse so that it is how we expect for a coin turn piece to appear. Given that, it is possible that any numbers or estimates might have to be vetted a bit more than typical.

Regardless, we need images! Here is one of mine-

@TomB, can you speculate as to the originality of this coin and/or how it acquired this dove toning look. I see that look in a lot of coins and wonder if it may have been gently cleaned.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can get to the bank Monday I'll take it out of the SDB and look at it there and will report back here. As per my recollection, the coin shows no evidence of cleaning and simply acquired this color over time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of the series, but I like my Gobrecht Dollars without stars.

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please tell me that was a modern counterfeit before it was cut up.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rest of it is next to a Stella in a dump. :)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The nomenclature for "original", "restrike" and coin vs. medal turn numbers appears to have been muddled over the years and at various times auction houses will show coins as they appear in the holders or will "correct" the orientation of the reverse vs. the obverse so that it is how we expect for a coin turn piece to appear. Given that, it is possible that any numbers or estimates might have to be vetted a bit more than typical.

Regardless, we need images! Here is one of mine-

A loverly coin!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, @CaptHenway!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

My example...

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus I am pretty certain it is a genuine one. I believe the previous owner had it cut out for his wife or girlfriend. I asked to buy it and was told it was not available.

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is not B) ...

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    Here is my coin-turn 1836 example. I really wanted an example with nearly full detail on the eagle, and due to dimensional wallet constraints, chose this one with surface issues ; I'm very pleased with it. Interestingly, R.W. Julian, in 2009, proposed that the entire 600 coin issue of 1837 was melted, and that the few remaining medal turn coins were struck on the medal press for collectors. I'm not sure if his conclusions have been confirmed or refuted since then, but it makes for interesting reading. https://numismaticnews.net/archive/new-information-on-the-gobrecht-dollars

Looks familiar... ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file