Home U.S. Coin Forum

PICS ADDED Ways to Authenticate 1916-D Dime Besides the Mintmark?

BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2023 11:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’m trying to authenticate a raw 16-D in G. Are there any die markers (cracks, gouges, lumps, etc), or is the mintmark the only place to look to verify it’s real? The shape and position of the D look right, but it’s filled rather than hollow. I want to make sure this was caused by flattening during circulation, instead of bad forging.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look for a rotated reverse die of about 15 to 20 degrees clockwise. It isn't present on all 16-D's, but it is on many. It's a good indicator that it's genuine.

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    Look for a rotated reverse die of about 15 to 20 degrees clockwise. It isn't present on all 16-D's, but it is on many. It's a good indicator that it's genuine.

Thank you. I just checked the coin again. If the reverse is rotated at all, it's very slight, but maybe my coin is one of the exceptions you mentioned. Do you know of any other ways to confirm its authenticity? I'm looking for some sort of die marker that will tell me definitively.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think someone here has put together a photo of the known mint mark positions, maybe it will be posted.

The squared upper serif on the D would be a big red flag for me on this coin. ;)

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a genuine PCGS AG3 to compare it to, if that helps.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never read of any specific die markers, just the mintmark type/position and the rev die rotation. This looks like rev die 4, so the rev should be rotated slightly CW.

"Ways to Authenticate Dime Besides the Mintmark?"

I have never heard of markers for the obverse & reverse dies and everything I am finding makes it appear no one else has either. It appears a study of die gouges, cracks or other things like feeder finger damage & polishing has not been done. ;)

The mint mark is what you have to go by.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion:

It looks to be an authentic die #3 to me.

That upper serif on the mintmark is squared and slightly larger because of the fact that die #3 is an RPM.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Position #1 appears too high and too close to the leaf.
    Position #2 appears too high and is an RPM that should still show even well circulated.
    Position #3 appears to be a stronger RPM that would show well even well circulated.
    That leaves position #4 as the only option. The position looks like it could be close, circulation on the coin and the angle of the photos can change the appearance a bit.

To me the mint mark appears ever soo slightly larger, maybe due to circulation but maybe the wrong size.
    The upper serif of the D appears too square and too wide.

@BuffaloIronTail
    "That upper serif on the mintmark is squared and slightly larger because of the fact that die #3 is an RPM."
    That is a pretty deep notch from the RPM that should show even in the lowest grades. ;)

I would call it questionable and I would not buy this coin unless it was certified.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions are opinions. Thanks for yours.

If there is any doubt DO NOT purchase it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 6:39PM

Since there doesn't appear to be much published on the dies used for the 16-D, I can validate that my 16-D is die reverse #3, with slight rotation to the right, but the obverse has a die crack between the bottom of Liberty and the inner part of the rim. Might be one more way, though remote, to verify a 16-D.

Like Pete @BuffaloIronTail recommended, if in doubt don't purchase.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file