Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I miss the old format for Great Collections world coins..

FrankHFrankH Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2023 8:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

They have changed the search. Used to be could search World Silver (or Gold) coins by date range.
Format has been changed to search by country.
I found the old way very handy to find coins by the metal composition.
It always led me to the individual listng anyway but it gave me a much broader search.

:'(

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually sort of like the new format myself.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the newer one better, just goes to show you nothing pleases everyone.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the new one. The old one felt old fashioned and sort of US-centric. For me, the metal is not the most important quality of the coin.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2023 5:48PM

I collect large silver crowns and search for larger gold coins.
    Having to go by individual countries is a lot harder to find ones that would show in a completer listing of coins by metal content.

A larger bunch of pix also finds oddball different coins.

Find me a large gold coin in the 1650-1915 date range.

It's like a US coin dealer not showing total inventory. Separate page for each denomination.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't know so my opinion will be limited to the following:

I have significant concerns about the increased number of auctions online and the impact that is having on what it really means to be a numismatist and a collector. There is something significant about seeing and experiencing coins to make the best decisions possible. And that includes the decision whether to even to start to collect a certain series. While there are helpful online tools, it seems that part of the experience is missed. Coin shows are important for many reasons because it helps develop a point of reference for what is truly important... contact, seeing in hand instead of images that usually capture the most optimistic view of the coin or one that makes an educated decision next to impossible.

I see the question of formatting as to on online auction as largely irrelevant... The real issue is what are the consequences of what can best be described as on unprecedented move away from personal contact to a collecting world that merely exists on line. And perhaps we have been there for awhile and I am just too old and set in my ways to accept it.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

I have significant concerns about the increased number of auctions online and the impact that is having on what it really means to be a numismatist and a collector. There is something significant about seeing and experiencing coins to make the best decisions possible. And that includes the decision whether to even to start to collect a certain series. While there are helpful online tools, it seems that part of the experience is missed. Coin shows are important for many reasons because it helps develop a point of reference for what is truly important... contact, seeing in hand instead of images that usually capture the most optimistic view of the coin or one that makes an educated decision next to impossible.

I see the question of formatting as to on online auction as largely irrelevant... The real issue is what are the consequences of what can best be described as on unprecedented move away from personal contact to a collecting world that merely exists on line. And perhaps we have been there for awhile and I am just too old and set in my ways to accept it.

A lot of that interaction you mention has moved to social media (not that I agree with that). Along with that, the current crop of new collectors seems to have lost all sense what coins “should be” worth. So now coin values are all whacked out.

But keeping this thread on track…. GC auctions world coins? 😱

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

the current crop of new collectors seems to have lost all sense what coins “should be” worth. So now coin values are all whacked out.

Which is, of course, partly due to collectors searching for specific types of coins and, unlike at a coin show or in a printed catalog, not getting much exposure to anything else. It’s not a terrible problem, but one that every collector should keep in mind if he wants to become a better collector and have more fun. Just spend a little more time browsing through things you don’t collect and see where it takes you.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Maybe I was unclear. SEEING coins of various countries is what is likely to create even MORE interest in coins that collectors may NOT be familiar with.

I'll stop at that. If having to know what country to browse is better for you, then the new format should be perfect.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most collectors of world coins collect by country. Only a small percentage collect by topic (date, subject matter, mint, etc.).

So I guess filtering by country suits the most number of people.

I am, however, still very surprised that any world coin person would SELL their coins via GC. Not enough eyeballs for a good price to be realized.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also prefer the old way.

@pruebas said:
    Most collectors of world coins collect by country. Only a small percentage collect by topic (date, subject matter, mint, etc.).

So I guess filtering by country suits the most number of people.

I am, however, still very surprised that any world coin person would SELL their coins via GC. Not enough eyeballs for a good price to be realized.

Granted that I find oddball interesting coins are mostly on world coin dealer sites.
    However, I do find some on the comprehensive combined country lists that illustrate all the silver or gold coins.
    Just a convenient way to locate by design.

@pruebas said:

There are certain types of world coins that do well on GC now. Type coins, old holders, common silver coins. World coins that have broad appeal to US collectors do fine. Up until maybe the Covid time frame, there were lots of deals on world coins at GC.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

@coinkat said:

I support your sentiment, but I feel like my own personal experience is a strong counter point. I go to several shows per year and love going to shops to look at coins in person. I rarely buy anything at a show or a shop. Anything I would find interesting is usually overpriced and being sold by someone who doesn't specialize in that sort of coinage, so there's not much to be done about it. When I go online, I have access to a wide away of higher quality coins for more reasonable prices than I could ever find in person. This is so much the case that it cancels out any loss of experience in-person.

I think there is a skill to be developed in learning to evaluate coins via photo/video. It has it's limits, but there are things we can do to close the gap between local versus remote viewing of coins.

edited March 21, 2023 9:56AM

Funny thing about shows and shops.
    None of them have seemed to discover that each country should be displayed separately.

:p

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

Don’t you just need to use the date filter?

That's better than nothing. :|

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FrankH said:
    Funny thing about shows and shops.
    None of them have seemed to discover that each country should be displayed separately.

:p

They usually do though. The US holdings are usually divided up into dollars, halves, quarters etc. then there’s usually a very small amount of world stuff in a display case in alphabetical order by country. Sometimes they’ll also have ancients in their own case…sounds a lot like the divisions in this forum, actually.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.