Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Thomas Simon to be next Great Engraver featured in Royal Mint series

The Royal Mint sent out an email this morning announcing that Thomas Simon would be the next engraver featured in their Great Engravers series with a 2-coin set to be released 'very soon'.

Detail of the email:

Assuming the Petition Crown will be the first release honouring Simon in the series and that they may break the obv and rev apart, much like they did for Wyon's Gothic Crown, for this 2-coin set.

Obv and Rev images from the British Museum [Silver pattern crown of Charles II, by Thomas Simon (about 1623-65) © The Trustees of the British Museum]:

It's easy to see why Simon and why now as the Petition Crown - aside from being beautifully crafted and very rare - features Charles II, and that coin in the series - if they do split the obv and rev into 2 coins - will then feature effigies of both Charles II and Charles III on a single coin. It will be interesting to see both CAROLVS and CHARLES used on either side - again, assuming that's what they do.

For anyone familiar with this series, you know that it can be a challenge to acquire these directly from the mint due to demand, so good luck on release day.

What do you think might be other releases honoring Simon in this series, assuming they release 3 different patterns, as they did for Wyon?

Comments

• tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2023 5:28AM

The great seal of the commonwealth would be pretty incredible to see remastered, too [taken from here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433003031584&view=1up&seq=13]:

although seals probably won't be part of this modern series

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to get in on the Simon issue. I've seen and have been amazed by the Petition Crown.
    The owner Geoffrey Cope used to post here.

@Swampboy said:
    I would love to get in on the Simon issue. I've seen and have been amazed by the Petition Crown.
    The owner Geoffrey Cope used to post here.

Oh wow - what a treat it must have been to see one of them!

If they do the petition crown, I wonder how true to the original they'll stay, specifically as it comes to the edge inscription.

confirmed on the petition crown

release this thursday

set your clocks 🌞

• gscoinsgscoins Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

For what it is worth, I have a copy of Alan Nathanson's book, Thomas Simon: his life and work, 1618-1665. I offered it for sale a little over a year ago, with no takers. Amazon has it for $5 plus $3.99 shipping. If anyone is interested in my copy, send me a PM ; I will do better than Amazon.

@gscoins said:
    For what it is worth, I have a copy of Alan Nathanson's book, Thomas Simon: his life and work, 1618-1665. I offered it for sale a little over a year ago, with no takers. Amazon has it for $5 plus $3.99 shipping. If anyone is interested in my copy, send me a PM ; I will do better than Amazon.

Wish I had known earlier. As soon as I found out Thomas Simon was the next engraver to be featured, I went out and bought that exact same book. 🙃

@tahbb143 said:
    confirmed on the petition crown

release this thursday

set your clocks 🌞

I can't find that page at the mint
    Would you share the link
    Thanks 🍺

@Swampboy said:

I can't find that page at the mint
    Would you share the link
    Thanks 🍺

this image was from a notification email

if youre going to attempt to get any of these releases, you'll need to be up and on the RM site just ahead of 9a GMT (I aim for 30 min prior)

the site will be in 'embargo mode' where you'll be placed in a queue (sequential I believe, not random like USM) and then released after launch w 10 min to make your purchases

good luck!

I'm just going for a 2 coin set 🤞🏻

@tahbb143
    Getting in a queue at any hour is doable but
    I don't get RM notifications

edited March 15, 2023 6:09PM

they will have edge inscription

the queue has begun at roughly 30 seconds past 830 GMT

got a 2 oz 2 coin silver proof set 🎉

the mintage numbers on the 5 oz and 10 oz 2 coin silver proof sets are extremely low. wish I had more liquidity to get those.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still available. Looks like people were thinking twice about the 14k + price tag for the double 2 oz gold set! IMO, they reserved out many and then the "preferred buyers" were backing out. The double 5 oz gold was about 40k USD or so.
    I still think 3250 is a pretty big number and is not dissimilar from the Queen's Beast (or Tudot Beast) Set numbers....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars said:
    Still available. Looks like people were thinking twice about the 14k + price tag for the double 2 oz gold set! IMO, they reserved out many and then the "preferred buyers" were backing out. The double 5 oz gold was about 40k USD or so.
    I still think 3250 is a pretty big number and is not dissimilar from the Queen's Beast (or Tudot Beast) Set numbers....

lol no doubt. they seem to be trying to get in on some of that secondary market pricing on the primary.

agreed, but personally really enamored w the detail in this striking; the raised edge inscription is really beautiful and the historical echo is a draw for me. honestly wish chuck just went with carolvs though. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

edited March 16, 2023 2:34AM

all the silver proof sets still available at 930 GMT seems to be a dud vote by UK collectors. my guess is that they'll be sold out by 1400 GMT once US collectors / speculators wake up and have their coffee

wellllllllllll maybe no sellout lol

seems like Charles II snarled mug isn't driving sales 😂

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were very innovative in 1663. 360 years later, not so much.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I still like the set - bought a 2 oz and 5 oz silver set. I have 3 graces and gothic in 5 oz so i decided to continue the tradition. I can always use them as doorstops if the market doesn’t hold up……

Despite the negative reviews from some I think the raised edge design and new monarch might pack some punch.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    I still like the set - bought a 2 oz and 5 oz silver set. I have 3 graces and gothic in 5 oz so i decided to continue the tradition. I can always use them as doorstops if the market doesn’t hold up……

Despite the negative reviews from some I think the raised edge design and new monarch might pack some punch.

Not negative (at least from me) at all. It's just not innovative anymore, as compared with other modern coins. It's still nice looking. And I like the double row of raised text on the edge.

And of course, as with most modern issues, there's always that question if the secondary market will hold up after the initial hype fades.

@Orlena said:

ive been thinking about going for a 5 oz Simon set as they're still available. I think the edge inscription at that size would be really nice. let's see if I make up my mind before they sell out. lol

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they still are. If mintage is 500ish, that goes to show a bit about true demand. The golds are flipper heaven, but who it the end turkey holding the gold(s).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.