Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

MY CARD WAS SLABBED AND LABELED A PSA 8 BUT ALSO GRADED WITH AN N5 (BUT NOT ON THE LABEL)

crice2425crice2425 Posts: 34

I recently had my '89 Fleer Bill Ripken whited out FF card graded and it was graded a PSA 8 and was even slabbed and labeled a PSA 8 but it also was given a N5 grade as well. I'm aware of what the N5 graded is but a little confused as to why it was still graded an 8 and slabbed as an 8? Also does this hurt the authenticity and the value of the card. I won the card off eBay and when I received the card in the mail it went straight into a one touch, packed and mailed to PSA the next day. The card is eligible for a return via the seller until the 19th. Was leaning towards opening up a return and getting my money back. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

a pic would be pretty cool to see...

• crice2425crice2425 Posts: 34
    edited March 14, 2023 4:03PM

@GroceryRackPack said:

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

but it also was given a N5 grade as well.

I'm feeling dense - I don't see where the N5 is on the card?

I looked up the cert # and got:

Mike
    edited March 14, 2023 4:18PM

@GroceryRackPack said:

please see edit post

@Stone193 said:

@Stone193 said:

• yes... it wasn't slabbed N5 and when i go to put the cert number in it doesnt come up right now. The PSA website is acting a little wonking at the moment or maybe the number hasnt been updated in the system yet. The card grade was just available about three hours ago.

edited March 14, 2023 4:28PM

@crice2425 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

please see edit post

@Stone193 said:

@Stone193 said:

• @crice2425 said:

@crice2425 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

please see edit post

@Stone193 said:

@Stone193 said:

@Stone193 No need to feel dense

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2023 5:41PM

So did you get the card back yet, or are you just looking at the pics on the PSA order link? If so, then it probably got caught in QA1-QA2 and is now cracked out and in a cardsaver back to you. If you don't have it in-hand yet, open the return request on the 18th. If you get the raw card back, send it back, but if you get the PSA 8 back, keep it and dump it on PWCC so it won't be your problem after it sells. PWCC is great for selling mislabled and other mess-up type things, like OPC hockey when it is actually a topps card!

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will take a few days for the cert to show up in the lookup. If the grade just popped a few hours ago, that explains it

• @RufussCkingston said:
    So did you get the card back yet, or are you just looking at the pics on the PSA order link? If so, then it probably got caught in QA1-QA2 and is now cracked out and in a cardsaver back to you. If you don't have it in-hand yet, open the return request on the 18th. If you get the raw card back, send it back, but if you get the PSA 8 back, keep it and dump it on PWCC so it won't be your problem after it sells. PWCC is great for selling mislabled and other mess-up type things, like OPC hockey when it is actually a topps card!

The card is slab and already shipped to me but I haven't received it yet.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

ive seen this happen recently on another forum. card was graded, slabbed and photos posted. then the card was pulled and given a min size or another designation where It was cracked out by PSA during he QA stage. if your card got an N5 after the QA phase, it will be returned N5 and ungraded. they dont slab cards N5, they get returned ungraded.

myslabs.to/smzcards

@crice2425 said:

You mean WAS slab...... Odds are high it is not slabbed anymore.

Get ready to cue the music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

I know nothing about this card other than I remember there's different variations.

I looked up this version on eBay and it goes for righteous bucks.

So. If this one got stopped for N5? Could it be that it's a "fake" altered stock version? Can't tell from the scan.

Mike
  • Yes I have been in contact with PSA and have been told that it was mistakenly graded and slabbed a PSA 8. Ugh.... I didn't realize that was a possibility. I figured PSA would be better then that.

• @dictoresno said:

@crice2425 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

ive seen this happen recently on another forum. card was graded, slabbed and photos posted. then the card was pulled and given a min size or another designation where It was cracked out by PSA during he QA stage. if your card got an N5 after the QA phase, it will be returned N5 and ungraded. they dont slab cards N5, they get returned ungraded.

The card is slabbed as a PSA 8 and has been sent back to me and ill receive it Friday. I've been in touch with PSA and they said it's a mistake on their end. The card shouldn't have been graded and slabbed. And it's definitely been graded a N5.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:
    ........I figured PSA would be better then that.

No offense, but if they stopped a mistake from leaving their facility, then they were "better than that".

• @RufussCkingston said:

@crice2425 said:

You mean WAS slab...... Odds are high it is not slabbed anymore.

Get ready to cue the music!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

But your wrong the card is slabbed and was sent back to me as of yesterday. I'll post a picture when I have it in hand.

@crice2425 said:
    Yes I have been in contact with PSA and have been told that it was mistakenly graded and slabbed a PSA 8. Ugh.... I didn't realize that was a possibility. I figured PSA would be better then that.

That's too bad - sorry to hear this.

Hope you're able to return the card.

I'd be interested to find out where the "alteration" is? Scan?

Mike

@crice2425 said:
    Yes I have been in contact with PSA and have been told that it was mistakenly graded and slabbed a PSA 8. Ugh.... I didn't realize that was a possibility. I figured PSA would be better then that.

And then they said send it back?

• I havent seen anything about sending it back.

• @nam812 said:

@crice2425 said:

No offense, but if they stopped a mistake from leaving their facility, then they were "better than that".

They didnt stop it before leaving the facility.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crice2425 said:

@nam812 said:

@crice2425 said:

So then if you're holding a PSA 8, and you "haven't seen anything about sending it back", how is it an N5?

• @nam812 said:

@crice2425 said:

@nam812 said:

@crice2425 said:

No offense, but if they stopped a mistake from leaving their facility, the

n they were "better than that".

So then if you're holding a PSA 8, and you "haven't seen anything about sending it back", how is it an N5

When i go to the order details for that card in my account it shows a grade of N5

• So to put this to rest.... I'm wrong in assuming that it wasn't caught in the finally quality check. And more then likely it was taken out of the slab and put in a one touch and sent back to me as a graded N5. Again I have not received the card back yet and was wrongfully going by the first certification image. I figured the certification image would be the last and final image before sending an email to the customer saying the graded card is ready for them to view and mailed to the customer.

edited March 15, 2023 4:13PM

I thought you were "in touch" with PSA who told you they accidentally shipped it slabbed to you??

BTW PSA doesn't use One-Touch's.... it's coming back in a cardsaver. If you sent it in a One-Touch (which is really a No-No), that One-Touch is another casualty along with the grading fee. After looking at the image, I'm going to guess they think that someone took an eraser to the knob of the bat to make it looked whited out... unless it is the right edge, top and bottom seem fine when looking at the space around the rails. Wouldn't think screwdown damage would be seen once it is already in a slab.

I'm going to take it that this was the listing you purchased. You def got a good price on it compared to what other raw ones sold for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364138435552?

• @RufussCkingston said:
    I thought you were "in touch" with PSA who told you they accidentally shipped it slabbed to you??

BTW PSA doesn't use One-Touch's.... it's coming back in a cardsaver. If you sent it in a One-Touch (which is really a No-No), that One-Touch is another casualty along with the grading fee. After looking at the image, I'm going to guess they think that someone took an eraser to the knob of the bat to make it looked whited out... unless it is the right edge, top and bottom seem fine when looking at the space around the rails. Wouldn't think screwdown damage would be seen once it is already in a slab.

I'm going to take it that this was the listing you purchased. You def got a good price on it compared to what other raw ones sold for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364138435552?

Keep doing what your doing your gonna go places...

• Let's keep this friendly guys.

• @SportsModerator2 said:
    Let's keep this friendly guys.

Can you please delete this discussion or close this? Thanks in advance

• It's not informational anymore

• @crice2425 said:
    It's not informational anymore

If there's any more discord, that's where it'll go.

• You can do it now. I'm requesting for it to be.

• I'm the original poster

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if this would have become a PSA 8 had it been graded? I am certainly curious about what my hundreds of minsizerq submissions would have been...

• So to everyone I apologize I was wrong with this whole thing. I received my card today and it yes PSA did take it out of the slab and put in a sleeve with the label "altered". I jumped the gun when assuming I was getting the card back slabbed as a PSA 8. When I got the email saying my card grade was ready I checked it and seen the picture that PSA had taken before the last quality check and along with that email was the message that my card had been shipped back to me. It was then that I realized that the N5 grade was given to the card in the actual notes in the order details. I had been in contact with a representative from PSA via email and they said they made a mistake and they card shouldnt have been graded and slabbed. So again I apologize for the misinformation that I was putting out in this discussion. I'm pretty new to the grading process.

• @secretstash said:
    I wonder if this would have become a PSA 8 had it been graded? I am certainly curious about what my hundreds of minsizerq submissions would have been...

here are the pictures of the card mistakenly slab an 8 and then it unslab labeled
    "altered"

• The last picture makes the card look worse then it looks.