Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS Submission Advice Request on My Washington Quarters.

Okay fellow collectors so I have been working on PCGS Washington Quarter sets for years. I have all the regular issues including the proofs complete. Most of the coins are high grade MS along with some AU on the variety coins. Over time I have picked up many coins to add to the various registry sets that are not in PCGS holders that need variety attribution noted. So I have 58 coins that I need to send into PCGS. Obviously I can't afford to do that large of a submission at once therefore I am looking for advice. Here is what I have ready to go: 58 coins total, 11 are in PCGS holders without attribution, 20 are NGC 6 with attribution and 14 without attribution, 6 ANACS 5 with attribution 1 without and 21 RAW coins all with varieties that are recognized by PCGS (if I am correct in my identification). Out of these 50 are silver and 8 are clad issues. In your opinion what would you do? Do I send in a various coins to complete some of the sets first? Do I send in the ones with the highest value first? Do I complete by decades or complete the clad issues first? Or do I send them in by groups based on who they are certified by? I would like to do about 10 coins per submission. Does PCGS ever offer any discount options to make this more affordable? I have never sent coins in to PCGS before and I want to get these coins submitted as economical as possible. Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Comments

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

First I'll say that I am certainly no expert as I've sent submitted less than 100 coins so there are certainly a bunch of people on here with vastly more experience than me. In answer to your questions in order, you have a long way to go to have a completed registry set. What are your priorities ? Registry set 1st ? Attritions 1st ? ( that way if your I.D.ing isn't spot on you have time to look for one that is ) Silvers a higher priority for you ? As for higher value or by decades 1st, these are questions only you can answer. You need to look at the different prices of crossovers, variety attrition or straight grading of raw coins. Yes our hosts do specials from time to time. You just have to wait until they come up and see if it applies to you.

• CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Tom, with all the various options on the Washington Quarters sets that PCGS has available I have 18 different sets. Out of those 3 of them are 100% complete and 9 others are over 90% complete. So I could finish up a few sets while others have more work to do. The satisfaction of completing a set is a good feeling but I don't have a preference on how I get these coins added to the registry sets. I guess I know that eventually they will all end up in PCGS holders. Being that I like many other people, I like to get the the best value for my investment so economics plays a big part in my decision. Probably playing the waiting game to see what PCGS offers quarterly for promotions will possibly save some money but you never know what the offer will be. Right now they are giving people a plastic display stand free with submissions. That really doesn't excite me to send in my coins. The value of that plastic display is worth about 50 cents. I hope come April they will off something a little more serious.

Sounds like you like your Washingtons like I like my Roosies. I dabbled in the submission game and found out my grading skills aren't what I thought they were. Off a point either way. I've found it easier to buy the coin already graded. Saves me some time and $$$.

@Tom147 said:
    Sounds like you like your Washingtons like I like my Roosies. I dabbled in the submission game and found out my grading skills aren't what I thought they were. Off a point either way. I've found it easier to buy the coin already graded. Saves me some time and $$$.

I have two raw Roosevelt sets. One set I picked out the best band I had but not all are full bands. The other set I focused on color. I like the dimes as they are easier to find in nice grades. I have not looked into the various varieties on them. I am afraid I would get hooked like I have on the Washington quarters.

Sounds like we are similiar types of collectors. I have 1 Washington Registry set, complete minus the 32-D Just started my Washington set about 3 years ago. Waiting on getting the 32-D in ms63 minimum which isn't gonna be cheap.
    Been chasing Roosies since 1964. Multiple Danscos completed. 2 Registry sets including Top 5 100% fb and another top 15, also 100% fb
    I don't really look for or collect the varieties other than the Accented Hair Kennedy.

@Tom147 said:
    Sounds like we are similiar types of collectors. I have 1 Washington Registry set, complete minus the 32-D Just started my Washington set about 3 years ago. Waiting on getting the 32-D in ms63 minimum which isn't gonna be cheap.
    Been chasing Roosies since 1964. Multiple Danscos completed. 2 Registry sets including Top 5 100% fb and another top 15, also 100% fb
    I don't really look for or collect the varieties other than the Accented Hair Kennedy.

I didn't get into the Washington varieties until my set were nearly complete. Well what's next? Look for various varieties, so I went through the coins I had and found that I had enough to get me started searching for more. I have 4 different sets that are in the top 10 but to get in the top 5 is probably untouched for me. The hunt is fun and gives me something to do. I wish more people who collect the same would be willing to to more swapping. It would make the hobby more interesting trying to help each other better their sets.

Whats the name on your registry sets ?

@Tom147 said:
    Whats the name on your registry sets ?

CBTL

Thank you, I'll take a look

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is easy. You want to prioritize the coins with the highest value. First and foremost, the slabs offer protection for the coins. Second, should something happen to you, they would be easier for your heirs to deal with than non-slabbed coins. Third, PCGS costs increase almost every year AND their tiers may push your costs up as your coins gain in value. For example, the Regular tier has a max value of $2500 so if you have any near that value, you want to get them graded now before you're forced to use the Express tier.