Home Q & A Forum

Major Gen Andrew Jackson 50 Cent Coin Medal?

Hello,

My father has come across this coin which was apparently given to my third great-grandfather. I was just wondering if anyone knew the history of these coins, and perhaps what the date of March 20th 1825 may signify.

Thank you,
Erich

Comments

• Around the perimeter it reads "This is the Eagle of your Country, wear it near your heart & support its rights." The center reads "Presented by Major General Andrew Jackson to Henry V. Giesey March 20th 1825."

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting love token. Do you have any personal family documents that shed light on the life of Henry V. Giesey? Was he in the military or in government service?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• mortician1990mortician1990 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 6:30PM

@Namvet69 said:
    Interesting love token. Do you have any personal family documents that shed light on the life of Henry V. Giesey? Was he in the military or in government service?

I will need to inquire some more. I know my father has a record of someone's service who was a major I think during the early 1800s. I believe it was Henry's father (Valentine Giesey). The V. stands for Valentine as well. I had some research and used ancestry.com; however, I can't really see much without paying for it again. What is interesting is it has Henry V. Giesey being born in 1820, so he would only be 5 years old which is a bit odd. Valentine, his father, was born in 1785 so he would have been relatively old for the time period to be serving in the early 1800's. I will do some more research. It would be odd for this to presented to the son of a soldier which served under Andrew Jackson. I almost wonder if perhaps this could be a promotional token for supporting the presidential aspirations of Jackson in 1825?

• mortician1990mortician1990 Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 7:58PM

@Namvet69 said:

My father sent me a payroll from January 1815 with of a company led by Captain Valentine Giesey. So I suppose Valentine the father of Henry V. Giesey served under Andrew Jackson to some degree. My complete guess thus far is perhaps this is some sort of token given/purchased in support of Andrew Jackson in 1825. One thing that doesn't really make sense for that idea is that I would anticipate that to be a general token of appreciation, but this coin has a specific date.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭

there is a record of Valentine Giesey having served in the war of 1812. Perhaps he served under Andrew Jackson and Jackson gave his son this coin in 1825 as a momento of his dad's prior service. This is just a guess on my part. Jackson was also involved in the Seminole war in Florida in 1817-1818. There apparently is more information on Valentine Giesey on ancestry.com if you want to pay for it.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could the date be the retirement from the military of the recipient?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mortician1990 Very interesting family connections. I think sentimentality and patriotism can well be addressed by the gifting of this type of item. Given the wording, I think it's a gift to an adult. It was treasured, which is why it's still in your family. IMO. Consider protecting it in a Quickslab, which would include insert labels on both sides. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Either way, more research is warranted. If it can be attributed and authenticated it would be an very historical (and valuable) piece.

• @JBK said:
    Could the date be the retirement from the military of the recipient?

I'm not sure how I would be able to find this out. I may be able to request the information, otherwise I would need to go to the national archives?

Is there any sort of historian I should reach out to specifically? I think I will email a local history professor and see if they can point me in a good direction.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some very sharp people here on the forum, post it on the main US Coin forum for more replies & help. ;)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    There are some very sharp people here on the forum, post it on the main US Coin forum for more replies & help. ;)

Yes, do this.

• @ifthevamzarockin said:

@JBK said:

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Yes, do this.

Thanks for the suggestion! Just posted it on there.