Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS communication

Good evening from London!

I collect circulating half sovereigns and have some nice examples graded with PCGS some of which are joint and some are single finest.

I am excited to find this forum and looking forward to learning more and more. Looking forward to getting to know you.

My question relates to issues where it feels like you are being ignored by PCGS staff? What do you think is the best way to manage this? I have an issue with one particular set where a coin is listed that simply does not exist. None of the books or most recent research records it. There is no evidence of it existing.

I messaged the set registry staff over a month ago and they have totally ignored me. I messaged the general PCGS email and they told me to message the set registry people……frustrating, right?

I have previously had to complain about a grading issue and because it was so serious I messaged the CEO and the matter was sorted eventually.

However, on this occasion I don’t want to do that as it is not a massive issue, it is just a frustration. And it is annoying me, if I am honest.

What to do? This is preventing my set from being able to register as complete. I just cannot understand why they have a coin in the set registry but NOT in the census (and NGC do not have this recorded either) in my view this is the equivalent of PCGS stating this there is an 1849 Carson City Double Eagle and then refusing to remove it when faced with clear evidence that it doesn’t exist.

Scratching my daft head wondering what I have to do to have this issue sorted.

I know this is mundane, but it is also frustrating.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy, Andrew, and welcome.

Your issue seems familiar in that I believe there have been threads in the past regarding coins that might as well be phantom pieces that are required for some registry sets. The search feature on this site is not all that useful, but you may want to use the advanced search and might find these threads to see if folks found a remedy.

Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thank you @TomB this is hugely appreciated.
    I will see what I can find and follow the threads!
    Andrew.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vandaleak_Collection

Try sending email or better yet calling and asking for:

Daniel Paz
    Set Registry Coordinator
    (877) 888-1318
    setregistry@collectors.com

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    @Vandaleak_Collection

Try sending email or better yet calling and asking for:

Daniel Paz
    Set Registry Coordinator
    (877) 888-1318
    setregistry@collectors.com

Thank you! This is very kind.

I did get an email from the team last night (wonder if they monitor these forums?!) confirming the coin is being set as optional.

I do find that strange though because it doesn’t exist! I won’t be too upset about this though because it’s a good outcome.

Thank you once again.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just talked to Daniel yesterday, he's the one that got all my certs released, nice guy.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the coin!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:
    What is the coin!

It is an 1890 High Shield with JEB (PCGS attributed a reference of 517612). I have the Low and High Shield without JEB but there are no records of the 'with JEB' version ever being made. Anything is possible, I guess, I just find it strange that they have this on the list when there are no such coins graded with any other company and the literature does not indicate one was minted.

If anyone knows of this coin, or perhaps even has one in a cabinet somewhere, let me know. Good money waiting for it!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vandaleak_Collection said:

@MrEureka said:
    What is the coin!

It is an 1890 High Shield with JEB (PCGS attributed a reference of 517612). I have the Low and High Shield without JEB but there are no records of the 'with JEB' version ever being made. Anything is possible, I guess, I just find it strange that they have this on the list when there are no such coins graded with any other company and the literature does not indicate one was minted.

If anyone knows of this coin, or perhaps even has one in a cabinet somewhere, let me know. Good money waiting for it!

Interesting. Certainly seems like it could exist. I'll have to start looking for it!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.