Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1955 Topps Official Thread

I find it hard to believe that there hasn't been an official thread started for the 1955 Topps set? Just gaze at this card from the PSA web site...

It doesn't get much better than a pristine Koufax Rookie.

Comments

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 Topps a great set.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• @stwainfan said:
    1955 Topps a great set.

What is your thought on rough cuts.

I actually seek out the rough cut cards in this set. When I find upgrades for my set, I much prefer the rough cuts over the straight cuts if available.

edited March 7, 2023 7:32PM

@86DonrussGuy said:

@stwainfan said:
    1955 Topps a great set.

What is your thought on rough cuts.

I actually seek out the rough cut cards in this set. When I find upgrades for my set, I much prefer the rough cuts over the straight cuts if available.

At the moment I only have two cards from the set. I would say that I like the straight cuts.
    Here's what I have.

• Boy...for only having two cards, you sure have a couple beautiful HEAVY HITTERS!!!

Here's what I'm talking about with the rough cut...to me...the cards look like you just cracked them out of a pack:)

@86DonrussGuy said:
    Boy...for only having two cards, you sure have a couple beautiful HEAVY HITTERS!!!

Here's what I'm talking about with the rough cut...to me...the cards look like you just cracked them out of a pack:)

Thanks. Okay yes I think I agree. The rough cuts are cool.

• @stwainfan said:

@86DonrussGuy said:
    Boy...for only having two cards, you sure have a couple beautiful HEAVY HITTERS!!!

Are you guys referring to the jaggedness around the edges? Those are some pretty lean, clean copies!

@BWisz31 said:

@stwainfan said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

Are you guys referring to the jaggedness around the edges? Those are some pretty lean, clean copies!

I think so.

• Here's what I'm talking about with the rough cut...to me...the cards look like you just cracked them out of a pack:)

Yes...to me it almost lends more legitimacy to the card...

Here's my Koufax for further example.

• @86DonrussGuy said:

Yes, I agree. It almost feels as if its a better conditioned card having the 'rough cut.'

@BWisz31 said:

@stwainfan said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

I think so.> @BWisz31 said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

Yes, I agree. It almost feels as if its a better conditioned card having the 'rough cut.'

Nice Koufax. I hope to get one someday.

• I'm actually SLOWLY working on a Koufax master set. The '66 O Pee Chee is killing me right now. Just not any high-end copies available. I think there's only one 9 with none higher, and the 9 hasn't seen the light of day for as long as I've been looking!!!

• That is a BEAUTY. I've got the entire set completed but I'll never have a straight 8 Clemente. I had to opt for the OC so my set will probably never reach the "top of the registry"...

I need to get more 55 cards.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2023 7:55AM

You are looking at the once 16th best 1955 Topps set in the Registry. It was approximately 15 cards short of a straight PSA 8 set I once owned. You will see that the 4 holes (Whitey Ford, Stan Musial, Bob Feller and Herb Score) are included as they are from a VIP set offered at a National Convention years ago. The flash hurts the pic a bit, but you get the idea. I built the display case and while I was fooling with the math, I found that 15 cards across times 14 rows exactly = 210.

Do not stop collecting this set !!! As you can see, when displayed in all its glory, it is a sight to behold!!!

• smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

This has always been my favorite set, and I am among the few that also loves rough cuts! I have the entire set in PSA 8 except for my two PSA 7 Clementes and my missing Koufax (I sold my 8 when prices went crazy near the start of covid and the prices never dropped back down :'( ).

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • @MCMLVTopps said:
    You are looking at the once 16th best 1955 Topps set in the Registry. It was approximately 15 cards short of a straight PSA 8 set I once owned. You will see that the 4 holes (Whitey Ford, Stan Musial, Bob Feller and Herb Score) are included as they are from a VIP set offered at a National Convention years ago. The flash hurts the pic a bit, but you get the idea. I built the display case and while I was fooling with the math, I found that 15 cards across times 14 rows exactly = 210.

Do not stop collecting this set !!! As you can see, when displayed in all its glory, it is a sight to behold!!!

That is a BEAUTIFUL display. Great Job! I'd love to do that with my set....not sure if I have the wall space. What is the overall dimension?

edited March 31, 2023 3:23PM

86Donruss,

I had this over 10 years ago...wish I still had it. Needed cash to buy a new home, so, the trade off made sense.

I can't remember the exact dimension, but one way to figure it out is to measure a card, multiply x 15, and an inch and you'll be real close. I say add an inch because when you want to take a card out, you will be able to slide some cards apart to take the card out without a bunch hitting the floor.

If you look closely at the bottom, you will see that I used a ledger board across the length of the case, this was to support the weight of the case. I screwed the ledger board to a few wall studs.

If memory serves, the case was built from 1x4 poplar, with the 14th row being the bottom piece. You will notice a "tilt" to the cards, this was to ensure they didn't fall out. If you are familiar with basic carpentry, this is not a hard case to build. I cut a 1/4" dado (groove) in each row piece about 1/4" from the edge of each row piece.

I forget the size of stock I used for the rows, but it might have also been 1x4 stock poplar. You can use pine, or whatever you want. If you have a table saw, you can cut the row pieces from any lumber from Home Depot/Lowes, whatever, then use a dado set to cut the grooves. It might save your fingers if you use a wide board and make multiple row pieces, then measure and rip the board into row pieces. I used 2 sheets of 1/4" plywood to provide stability to the case. You will have to measure where to cut one sheet to accomodate covering the entire back. Be sure to have the cut sheet of plywood fall behind a row piece, this will cover the cut and the joining of the two plywood pieces. You may have to trim the larger of the two pieces to make sure they will join behind a row. I did use wood glue and clamps for attaching the plywood pieces to the frame. I suspect you could screw them down, but if you miss and chip out the frame, you won't be happy.

Once the basic case is put together, including the back plywood pieces, I measured and snapped a chalk line across the back telling me where the rows would go. This allowed me to avoid gluing, as I used screws to secure the rows to the plywood backing. It would be a good idea to use 2 or 3 scrap pieces cut and placed between rows as you go along, to help you ensure each row is equi-distant from the other.

When done, I lifted the case onto the ledger, and as my wife held it in place, I screwed about a dozen black sheet rock screws randomly throughout the case.

Wherever you put the case, make sure it doesn't face South, this to avoid any long term fading of your cards.

Draw up the project, get your materials, a table saw will make you task a lot easier, and 4 saw horses would also help to support things. If memory serves, this thing was close to 7 feet across.

BELIEVE ME, you will love seeing your cards displayed like this, and NOT in a box or drawer somewhere.

GL, pls post a pic if you ever get it done.

BTW, the set you see included a Clemente PSA 8, which I bought on eBay for $4,100, and sold it for $4,500!! That is called "the one that got away". That card is selling today for outrageous prices!!

• That is absolutely AWESOME. I appreciate all the detail. I WILL do a pic upon completion. Sad this is, now that I've said that, you'll be able to tell how long it actually takes me :o

As for you PSA 8 Clemente.....OUCH. You'll note my best attempt at an 8. I'll take the OC without the $75K outlay!!!

Thanks again for the great pic and instruction!

• The 1955 Topps set is really one of the greatest of all time. How about the Hall of Fame subset...

I'd love to get the proud owner of the PSA9 Clemente that was sold for over $1.1 million through Goldin last year to give us some pics...

I'll get the ball rolling with these:

edited April 7, 2023 6:15AM

• To quote a Toby Keith song...."in the fetal position......with drool on my chin....." :*